R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-26-2009, 09:49 AM   #331
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I've tried just about every timing, profile, and rollout on my SPX in my 1/12 cars, and I just can't get the speed everyone else is with the older LRP Sphere's and other motors.

I'm using the LRP Stock Spec x-11 motors in my 17.5 and 13.5 cars (1/12) and the temps will vary from 120F to 160F depending the profile and rollout, but it never seems to make much difference in what I do.

Are the LRP x-11 Stock Spec motors weak compared to other brands? Or are these motors just not performing well with the SPX...?

On that note, what motors have the you SPX users found to work the best with the SPX...?
I would suggest trying to borrow another motor and see if it makes a difference. If it still is not as quick, that would rule out the motor as a possible problem.
Proudly Sponsored by Stanbridges Hobbies
Serpent S411
jrxs-r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:55 AM   #332
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kn7671 View Post
I've tried just about every timing, profile, and rollout on my SPX in my 1/12 cars, and I just can't get the speed everyone else is with the older LRP Sphere's and other motors.

I'm using the LRP Stock Spec x-11 motors in my 17.5 and 13.5 cars (1/12) and the temps will vary from 120F to 160F depending the profile and rollout, but it never seems to make much difference in what I do.

Are the LRP x-11 Stock Spec motors weak compared to other brands? Or are these motors just not performing well with the SPX...?

On that note, what motors have the you SPX users found to work the best with the SPX...?
Our experience is that the profiles 7 and 8 seem to need a large load to make them work. A 12th car is light, and is constantly on and off the throttle in the infield. There never seems to be a point at which this system works for a 12th car.

We've decided (well, the timing clock has decided!) that the best setting for the SPX on a 12th car is profile 6, with a small amount (10 deg) of motor timing. Using a 10.5 we gear 52 to 54 mm/rev depending on track and driving style. I don't know how that would be for a 17.5 or a 13.5. As a comparison, a 10.5 with 10 deg timing on a Sphere would be about 58mm/rev. HTH
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #333
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowerOne View Post
Our experience is that the profiles 7 and 8 seem to need a large load to make them work. A 12th car is light, and is constantly on and off the throttle in the infield. There never seems to be a point at which this system works for a 12th car.

We've decided (well, the timing clock has decided!) that the best setting for the SPX on a 12th car is profile 6, with a small amount (10 deg) of motor timing. Using a 10.5 we gear 52 to 54 mm/rev depending on track and driving style. I don't know how that would be for a 17.5 or a 13.5. As a comparison, a 10.5 with 10 deg timing on a Sphere would be about 58mm/rev. HTH
What sort of track were those figures for?

What would you start at for WLRC for instance?
Although I have run a couple of times at WLRC, it was pointed out that my gearing chart had the wrong spur
SO I need to rethink gearing, as well as going from a Nosram ISTC to the 'Stock Spec'

Skiddins
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RCDisco.co.uk
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #334
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
What sort of track were those figures for?

What would you start at for WLRC for instance?
Although I have run a couple of times at WLRC, it was pointed out that my gearing chart had the wrong spur
SO I need to rethink gearing, as well as going from a Nosram ISTC to the 'Stock Spec'

Skiddins
Er... I wouldn't run a 12th car at WLRC! Does that explain my comments?

Those figures are for a National track on carpet about 30m x 16m, with a 11 to 12 second lap time.

Should have gone to Specsavers?!!! (sorry, couldn't resist!! )
SlowerOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM   #335
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrxs-r View Post
I would suggest trying to borrow another motor and see if it makes a difference. If it still is not as quick, that would rule out the motor as a possible problem.
Just what I plan to do. Have a Tekin 13.5 and another LRP x-11 13.5 that I will swap out and give a whirl.
kn7671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 08:33 PM   #336
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

First of all I just bought the SPX. I tried the default setting at 5.3 but the speed was slow.

The best performance so far I get is Profile 7 with 5.3 gearing. However I still can chase cars of same 11.5T motors but not fast enough to overtake them in long straight.

However I was thinking if I geared at 5.1 with Profile 7. Will I get additional performance in term of speed? Will the motor burned out?
Toh WL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:07 AM   #337
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by burito View Post
Glad to hear the information I provided is useful.
We should definitely try to be online more here at rctech and answer your questions but I guess we're just too few guys for too many projects at the moment at LRP in Germany.

Anyway, will try to improve...

As for the timing question, I can't really disclose full details on our timing algorithm as we don't want it too easy for our competition...
But I can say that billythekids findings and statements are not wrong!

Hi Reto, would profile 9 & 10 on SXX or profile 7 & 8 on SPX more suited for off road 2wd and truck with 17.5 and 13.5T?
billythekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 AM   #338
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toh WL View Post
First of all I just bought the SPX. I tried the default setting at 5.3 but the speed was slow.

The best performance so far I get is Profile 7 with 5.3 gearing. However I still can chase cars of same 11.5T motors but not fast enough to overtake them in long straight.

However I was thinking if I geared at 5.1 with Profile 7. Will I get additional performance in term of speed? Will the motor burned out?

What do you mean you can chase other cars, but cannot overtake them? Were you gaining on them? If you were, then you were faster!

What motor /tires were you running? What was your motor and speedo temp?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:26 AM   #339
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
What do you mean you can chase other cars, but cannot overtake them? Were you gaining on them? If you were, then you were faster!

What motor /tires were you running? What was your motor and speedo temp?
My motor is Speedpassion 11.5T, KLGP edition similar to TiTC. The other racers using the same motor. As for tires I am using Team Sorex 36. Motor temp is 79 celcius with heatsink. Speed control is around 50 celcius.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:40 AM   #340
Tech Regular

Quote:
My motor is Speedpassion 11.5T, KLGP edition similar to TiTC. The other racers using the same motor. As for tires I am using Team Sorex 36. Motor temp is 79 celcius with heatsink. Speed control is around 50 celcius.
Motor temp seems to be a little high. You may be slightly overgeared. Was your car gaining on the other cars with regular ESC on the straight? Was it gaining at the beginning of the straigt away or towards the end? How long was the straight away?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #341
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythekid View Post
Motor temp seems to be a little high. You may be slightly overgeared. Was your car gaining on the other cars with regular ESC on the straight? Was it gaining at the beginning of the straigt away or towards the end? How long was the straight away?
Well I am playing with the rest on hot sunny day at 40C air temp. But track wise should be much higher. My car able to keep up on straight without degration in speed. But other seem to be quicker & cut me in front from back. Although using same motor & ESC. The LRP VTEC acceleration did kick in for the boost. Track length is 50m straight.

I was thinking the MODE 3 (Initial Brake) aka hand brake affect. Does it has impact on reducing the speed? What if I had it disabled at 0. Will I get additional performance gain? As of now the value is set to 2. What if I gear from 5.3 to 5.1 any significant differences?

Last edited by Toh WL; 05-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:16 PM   #342
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

this ??? is a quikie...im running VTA TC5 100 spur with 47 pinion 21.5 novak and spx....on a 100x50 track outdoors...is this close to max speed?..

1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:14 PM   #343
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

For any one else waiting for an SPX to come back from LRP for warranty work; they are still out of stock. I've been waiting a month now unfortunately, after my speedo was DoA.

No indication from LRP when they will be in stock again.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #344
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well I am playing with the rest on hot sunny day at 40C air temp. But track wise should be much higher. My car able to keep up on straight without degration in speed. But other seem to be quicker & cut me in front from back. Although using same motor & ESC. The LRP VTEC acceleration did kick in for the boost. Track length is 50m straight.

I was thinking the MODE 3 (Initial Brake) aka hand brake affect. Does it has impact on reducing the speed? What if I had it disabled at 0. Will I get additional performance gain? As of now the value is set to 2. What if I gear from 5.3 to 5.1 any significant differences?
I doubt you can get more punch or top speed if you gear at 5.1. In fact, I think you won't be able to get really noticeable advantage over Sphere TC, unless you are running on a huge, fast flowing track, such as those designed for nitro cars.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:40 PM   #345
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
this ??? is a quikie...im running VTA TC5 100 spur with 47 pinion 21.5 novak and spx....on a 100x50 track outdoors...is this close to max speed?..

I knew it...cheater!

subscribing to this thread... been running a spx in the 17.5 car a couple of races now and very happy w/ the speed over what i was running... the N word!
#47 MoneyShot Racing
www.nashrcracer.com
http://thunder.rc50.com/
SMC - Customer Service 2nd to None! (thanks Dan!!)
speedsterblade is offline   Reply With Quote