Wiki Posts
Search

lrp spx stock spec

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mark williams
ok easy question..

with lrp X11 10.5t on my sphere tc spec on a large track (cotswolds) my timing was on full and my FDR was 4.65 and punch setting 6

i now have my SPX comp what FDR should i use for the same large track? as from what ive read the timing will stay on 0 (30 degs)

what is a safe max temp for SPX?
vector X11 10.5t?

thanks in advance
mark
Gearing only really has to change down for profile 7 & 8 on the SPX.
Keep the timing on 0 for the motor and go down at least a couple of pinions.

There is no actual mention of the temperature the ESC can take, but it's temp memory function tells you how close to shutdown it is. Mine usually ends up with 15 flashes of the blue LED.

Skiddins
Old 05-02-2009, 07:02 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Here is how i determined a good gearing ..I dropped 3 teeht from the start on my 13.5.THe car jumped off the corners and seemed dead till the last ten feet of the straight so i dropped one more tooth.The changed moved where the car advanced the timing back about 5 feet each time i dropped a tooth.I settled at 5.7 gearing on a long straight and the motor was coming off at 160 degrees.Has anyone noticed that it seems to kill rotors faster even without abusing them with heat.I also had one spx start to stutter like cogging under load but doesnt affect steering like a glitch.
Absolutely! I've been cooking my 13.5's with the Tekin+boost and now the SPX WAY faster than I used to, and I'm not sure it's any faster. I'm ready to put the TC Spec back in the car.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I've been running my 13.5 duo motor at a 5 flat final with the punch at 8 and break at 3 and drag at 3 and running for about 8 minutes. The motor temp is about 150 when I come off...still have not had a problem and we run on a small track.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:05 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by AARON YOUNG
Here is how i determined a good gearing ..I dropped 3 teeht from the start on my 13.5.THe car jumped off the corners and seemed dead till the last ten feet of the straight so i dropped one more tooth.The changed moved where the car advanced the timing back about 5 feet each time i dropped a tooth.I settled at 5.7 gearing on a long straight and the motor was coming off at 160 degrees.Has anyone noticed that it seems to kill rotors faster even without abusing them with heat.I also had one spx start to stutter like cogging under load but doesnt affect steering like a glitch.
Ditto with the SPX on 8! When using the Duo 13.5, my temps have never exceeded 165 degrees. Current problem is that replacement rotors for the Duo are not available from Trinity.

Have gone from from 4.8 to 5.2 to 5.4 gearing over the past ten days. Today, at my 5.2 and 5.4 gearing, speedy John Hicks went the same speed on the NorCal back straight using about 1-3 pinion teeth more with his SPX???

My "had" Duo motor now seems to be slower during the second half of a 6 minute run. Even though the motor temp for the run still stays below 165 degrees.

Have not run on a warm day yet this season.

Bill
Old 05-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by King of B Main
I've been running my 13.5 duo motor at a 5 flat final with the punch at 8 and break at 3 and drag at 3 and running for about 8 minutes. The motor temp is about 150 when I come off...still have not had a problem and we run on a small track.
Two more variables to add to my settings are: 1) often used Launch Control at start of race; and, 2) use 6 for drag brake.

Have ceased using Launch Control and drag brake is now set at 3 or 4. More experimenting with John Hicks tomorrow.

Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default launch

I have no idea about the launch part, never tried it.... I rarely try to hole shot anyone because it usually just causes a accident or you need to just get back on break..

But I have power drop off with any speedo or motor I use..
Old 05-03-2009, 01:00 AM
Tech Adept

Default gearing down

Hi all,
I just want to share my testing results with SPX and 13.5 (LRP and Orion on default timing). We have e a very large track in Heemstede (Netherlands). Reto, you must know this track.
I don't agree on dropping pinions when using setting 8 on SPX. I went from FDR 4.5 down to 3.6 and was going faster with better lap times, motor temp never went above 61C deg.
If anyone is interested my test session can be found here on Mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/practice/showL...67&subm=Search
Session 1 was FDR 4.5, gearing up every session with last session (7) at 3.6.
Next week I'm taking this to even lower FDR (3.5 to 2.9). The only thing I'm monitoring is motor temp.
Z
Old 05-03-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by GerwinGood
Hello All,

Im running also a LRP spx Stock spec version since a week. But im searching for the right gearing for my engine. Using Profile 8 of the spx. But now the problem i dont really know what timing i should use.

FDR 4.0 or maybe more to 6.5, Any one has an idea what kind of FDR would be good for my setup?

Xray t2 009
LRP SPX Stock spec
Corally 25c 5000 mah lipo
Speed passion 10.5T brushless

Thanks already
I don't run TC, so can't give you an exact ratio. However, the rule of thumb is to go waaaaaay down on ratio and then come back up. Check the clock every time you change gearing, and see how fast teh whole race is, and how consistent your lap times are. Go for the fastest, most consistent lap times first, and temp second.

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Gearing only really has to change down for profile 7 & 8 on the SPX.
Keep the timing on 0 for the motor and go down at least a couple of pinions.

There is no actual mention of the temperature the ESC can take, but it's temp memory function tells you how close to shutdown it is. Mine usually ends up with 15 flashes of the blue LED.

Skiddins
Good advice when using 7 and 8 - follow it!

Originally Posted by Still Bill
Two more variables to add to my settings are: 1) often used Launch Control at start of race; and, 2) use 6 for drag brake.

Have ceased using Launch Control and drag brake is now set at 3 or 4. More experimenting with John Hicks tomorrow.

Bill
Take all the drag brake off! Drag brake is achieved by firing the coils, so it uses battery and that means it increases heat. You'll not be able to take full advantage of settings 7 and 8 if you have drag brake on.

Originally Posted by rcpoint
Hi all,
I just want to share my testing results with SPX and 13.5 (LRP and Orion on default timing). We have e a very large track in Heemstede (Netherlands). Reto, you must know this track.
I don't agree on dropping pinions when using setting 8 on SPX. I went from FDR 4.5 down to 3.6 and was going faster with better lap times, motor temp never went above 61C deg.
If anyone is interested my test session can be found here on Mylaps http://www.mylaps.com/practice/showL...67&subm=Search
Session 1 was FDR 4.5, gearing up every session with last session (7) at 3.6.
Next week I'm taking this to even lower FDR (3.5 to 2.9). The only thing I'm monitoring is motor temp.
Z
Heemstede is huge, and it doesn't have too many slow corners. I find this situation unusual, and I would not advise that you follow these settings.

HTH
Old 05-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SlowerOne
I don't run TC, so can't give you an exact ratio. However, the rule of thumb is to go waaaaaay down on ratio and then come back up. Check the clock every time you change gearing, and see how fast teh whole race is, and how consistent your lap times are. Go for the fastest, most consistent lap times first, and temp second.

Good advice when using 7 and 8 - follow it!

Take all the drag brake off! Drag brake is achieved by firing the coils, so it uses battery and that means it increases heat. You'll not be able to take full advantage of settings 7 and 8 if you have drag brake on.

Heemstede is huge, and it doesn't have too many slow corners. I find this situation unusual, and I would not advise that you follow these settings.

HTH

SlowerOne

I have watched you race your 1/12 scale car before. Are you sure you are qualified to be giving advice to everyone...
Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by march to my own
SlowerOne

I have watched you race your 1/12 scale car before. Are you sure you are qualified to be giving advice to everyone...

LMAO !!!!!!!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by march to my own
SlowerOne

Arsene Wenger, Alex Ferguson, Frank Dick, David Leadbetter and for our US cousins, Yogi Berra and Mike Ditka. Closer to our interests Colin Chapman, Ron Dennis, John Barnard, Rory Byrne and Adrian Newey.

Those who aren't very good at something (playing football, soccer, athletics or racing cars, as above) spend a long time trying to find out why. That's what makes them so good at understanding their sport, designing their cars and coaching their teams and athletes.

In my case, it isn't my driving that people admire, it's the fact that I crash at a higher speed than anyone else they know!!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Ditto with the SPX on 8! When using the Duo 13.5, my temps have never exceeded 165 degrees. Current problem is that replacement rotors for the Duo are not available from Trinity.

Have gone from from 4.8 to 5.2 to 5.4 gearing over the past ten days. Today, at my 5.2 and 5.4 gearing, speedy John Hicks went the same speed on the NorCal back straight using about 1-3 pinion teeth more with his SPX???

My "had" Duo motor now seems to be slower during the second half of a 6 minute run. Even though the motor temp for the run still stays below 165 degrees.

Have not run on a warm day yet this season.

Bill
I'm really glad to hear other people are experiencing this. It seems like the motors are losing something after being driven with all this timing, even if the heat is kept in check. All my 13.5's seem extremely soft now, especially as I get a few minutes into a race. I'm not sure it's the rotor, either, 'cause I'm checking them on the Zubak and they don't seem to be losing much, uh, magneticity?

How do the profiles on the SPX line up with the profiles on the TC Spec? I think I'm done with this timing nonsense until it's figured out, I'm tired of all my motors going soft.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
Tech Champion

At John Tag's suggestion (Express Motorsports) , I changed my SPX's punch setting to #7 today and geared at 5.0. I ended up with 4.8 gearing by the end of the testing and the motor didn't seem to be going soft during a 6 minute run.

I probably need to try a new motor to see if the setting #7 is going to save me from having it go soft.

Setting #8 certainly was fun though.

Syndrome: At least you don't have a non-TC racer telling you not to use any drag brake...

Bill
Old 05-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Team EAM

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

At John Tag's suggestion (Express Motorsports) , I changed my SPX's punch setting to #7 today and geared at 5.0. I ended up with 4.8 gearing by the end of the testing and the motor didn't seem to be going soft during a 6 minute run.

I probably need to try a new motor to see if the setting #7 is going to save me from having it go soft.

Setting #8 certainly was fun though.

Syndrome: At least you don't have a non-TC racer telling you not to use any drag brake...

Bill
Damn Bill took ya long enough....Been posting that same thing for 3 weeks now!

Also as for "it going soft" you might need to call a Doctor about that!!!

EA
Old 05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by EAMotorsports
Damn Bill took ya long enough....Been posting that same thing for 3 weeks now!

Also as for "it going soft" you might need to call a Doctor about that!!!

EA
Whoa! Bashing from the great EA. What is the r/c world coming to???

I didn't pay much attention when you said that you had not run a 13.5 on rubber yet. Good reckoning though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.