R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2009, 04:54 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default TT01 Hopup Questions

Hey all I've managed to get me a rolling chassis tt01 for $25 but it needs a few things.

I've been reading ALOT on what hopups I should get for it and here is my starter list.

I'll be using it for a little bit of cornering but more drifting as I have a ta03 for circuit

*Tamiya sport tuned tz (it's in another tt01 we have and it seems to be really good)
*Ball bearing set (I sure hope these come with instructions because looking at the packet, I have no idea where they go in the car haha)
*Alloy driveshaft
*Alloy motor heatsink cover
*Alloy motor mount
*Drift Tyres (probly pvc)

I would also like to get all the alloy control arms, steering set, knuckles, battery posts, servo mounts, suspension mounts, Urethane bumpers with alloy plates, alloy half shafts/dog bones and I think that might be it hehe.

If you couldn't tell i'm a bling girl haha.

Also I want to get a good suspension kit like http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...?cPath=389_390
Is that set what I would call coilovers? Do they adjust? Is that a good set?

Are there any other things that would come highly recommended?

Also I would love to see pics of peoples tt01's and how they did their installs

Thanks in advance

edit: also, are parts interchangeable off any other tamiya chassis? Mine is one of the original tt01's.

Last edited by suprra_girl; 01-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.
suprra_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I dunno how many parts are interchangeable with the new TT01E, so I would stay away from those.

If I were you, I'd pick up some TRF dampers. They're expensive ($50 for a new set) but they're well worth it. IT's amazing what a difference good quality springs will get you, especially for drifting. I did a lot of my drift tuning with the TRF dampers cause i could adjust the stiffness to dial in my weight distribution characteristics.

Musts (if you must tune )
Ball Bearings
Alloy shaft
Alloy motor mount (or the tamiya metal one)
Steering linkages (if you're picky about slop)
Universals (these replace the shafts in the knuckles and the dogbone in one piece. Very nice 3Racing has a decent cheap set of these, I think. Just search for universals)

Things like the servo mount and battery posts are... just for bling. Personally I'd rather spend that extra money on a more expensive body and paints.

I would bling the:
Knuckles
Alloy Arms
CF chassis? (if you get this, don't bother getting the alloy motor mount cause it comes with a different motor mounting system).

For the motor... those motors are pretty good, but I would go with something like a 19Turn mod motor for drifting. I personally like brushless like this: (THIS SETUP IS CHEAP!)

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701486.asp

These motors are much better in every way. If you're looking for power, find the Mamba Max with 5700kV motor. The 5700kV is the recommended for drifting. Also, people here will attest that the novak GTB with 7.5-8.5 turn are great too. The difference is one is unsensored (Max) and the novak is sensorless. The pros and cons of both are a completely different thread

If you're blinging, go for it. However, I think you will be happier with better electronics, especially a brushless motor. You can do a lot more with the car with a good motor, ESC, springs and tires.

BTW for your drift tires, look for ABS, not PVC. Search for ABS drifting tires on ebay, you'll find stuff

I'll keep watching this thread. If you have any more questions, just post'em
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 PM   #3
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it

I understand the need for good electronics etc, I wasn't going to go too hard on the tt01, just stable and good control and enough power to drift it. Oh and bling of course

I probly won't ever get the carbon chassis but maybe those upper braces I see being mentioned.

I'm not sure if you can get TRF parts here but I'll have a look
What sort of dampering will I need for drifting and what sort for circuit? (Figure I may as well ask in the same thread for my TA hehe)

Here is my ta03 which has some fairly fun parts
But it is for my circuit racing not drifting, I have an Orion Revolution Touring 10T motor for it but I need to complete the deans install and get a higher powered battery for it and then hopefully I won't be trying to melt my car haha.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to fabolousRC Send a message via Yahoo to fabolousRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl View Post
Hey all I've managed to get me a rolling chassis tt01 for $25 but it needs a few things.

I've been reading ALOT on what hopups I should get for it and here is my starter list.

I'll be using it for a little bit of cornering but more drifting as I have a ta03 for circuit

*Tamiya sport tuned tz (it's in another tt01 we have and it seems to be really good)
*Ball bearing set (I sure hope these come with instructions because looking at the packet, I have no idea where they go in the car haha)
*Alloy driveshaft
*Alloy motor heatsink cover
*Alloy motor mount
*Drift Tyres (probly pvc)

I would also like to get all the alloy control arms, steering set, knuckles, battery posts, servo mounts, suspension mounts, Urethane bumpers with alloy plates, alloy half shafts/dog bones and I think that might be it hehe.

If you couldn't tell i'm a bling girl haha.

Also I want to get a good suspension kit like http://www.rcmart.com/catalog/rc-dam...?cPath=389_390
Is that set what I would call coilovers? Do they adjust? Is that a good set?

Are there any other things that would come highly recommended?

Also I would love to see pics of peoples tt01's and how they did their installs

Thanks in advance

edit: also, are parts interchangeable off any other tamiya chassis? Mine is one of the original tt01's.
Here is a bearings list from Tower Hobbies on original TT01:
For Replacement Ball Bearings use:
Qty. Size Location
12 5x11mm front & rear diff gears, hubs
4 8X12mm front & rear diff gears

For the cheapest bearing shop without spending amount of shipping money, I go to AvidRC.com. Their bearing quality is excellent for about a buck a bearing. so you saved about 5 bucks from Tamiya/Tower version.

Aluminum motor mounts cost just over 9 bucks at tower or even your LHS. LHS might charge you tax depending where you live. Your LHS should also be able to order you the other parts.

Now, there are two ways to upgrade your TT01: (1) Using Tamiya Parts and (2) Using aftermarket parts. Tamiya parts, well, you always pay premium. Aftermarket parts you pay less but it usually gives you extra bling in return. Rcmart is a good place to start although there are many more online stores in hongkong that you can search through the web. The parts that you want for the Universal is 53792

Good luck and have fun

Lex Tyler Paints \ Norcal Hobbies \ Bay Area Peninsula R/C Club
fabolousRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:11 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

TRF's can be bought off of Ebay. That's the easiest way to get one, I think.

People usually put harder springs in the back and softer in the front. That makes a power over drift easier. I like the TRF's because I could adjust the spring stiffness by the threaded sleeves. I had blues in the back and yellows in the front (Tamiya springs).

You can get the carbon stiffener if you want, but I think stabilizers might be a bit much (I know you didn't mention it, but I thought I'd say it )

You want to have a little flex in your chassis for drifting, btw. so don't over stiffen it
Old 01-31-2009, 05:08 AM   #6
Tech Initiate

Wow, you guys have some awesome input, thanks alot

I found someone local (*falls over*) that actually imports some of the stuff. This usually isn't very common here in New Zealand hehe.

So figure I'll start of slow without being too silly. I've asked him if he has the alloy motor mount & heatsink as it wasn't in his listings.

But here is my buy absolutely now list that he has got

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=199501865 $14.50
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=199503247 $ 7.10
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=200523015 $10.00
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=200523165 $14.90
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=200523537 $ 5.60
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/List...x?id=200523585 $17.30

Hopefully soon I'll get the alloy driveshaft/prop, motor mount, and dog bones and this heat sink with the fan directly on top rather than extended http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models...-199500611.htm $8.90

I actually found TRF's here
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models...-199490158.htm $50.00

But what's this flourine coating set?
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Toys-models...-199492564.htm $46.90

I converted the nzd to usd for ya's

Thanks again

edit: Slightly offtopic to my orignal subject but I'm hoping you'll be able to help me with this one too What is a good currentish racing chassis? I've read tt01 is best kept at drifting so what would be a circuit chassis? I see once they released a tt01r which looked pretty damn good but discontinued
Old 01-31-2009, 06:07 AM   #7

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

the question is really what u want to use the car for? does it have to be tamiya legal or not, what class, just for fun, what motor setup etc.

we race them in 'spec' form here. so much so that tamiya is letting us run that class in addition to their 'traditional' spec class come TCS time. the organizers affectionately call it 'senior spec' since its a bunch of us old guys with many yrs behind us in the hobby.

we are very close to tamiya rules anyway, in fact there are some parts we dont allow that they do. b/c they dont help.

the ally motor mount is not allowed for example. it wont help, it does not cool ur motor in fact ur motor will heat up ur motor b/c it doesnt allow that bit of slop the plastic unit does and will in turn heat ur motor needlessly b/c the gears are not able to find their ideal mesh.

we also dont use camber rods as the car doesnt have much room for adjustment in that area with them and b/c we run the car so close to pan car style suspension anyway. needless upgrade

for bearings, good and cheap is possible courtesy of mr david joor of avidrc. i will not buy bearings from any1 else.

i believe some guys are now usin the tt01e ally center shaft AND cups. they are smaller profile and they have no chance of rubbing the chassis driveline (on side or at the rear of the joint) like the stockers do. especially on the latest batch of chassis molds which seem much worse than older cars.

some also use the shock towers from the E b/c it afford 1 more shock mount position which could aid in tuning, but others do not.

depending on what gear u need or are required to run, go out and find the hard coated pinions from tamiya. sometimes referred to as flourine coated. the stockers grow 'sharks teeth' very quick as they are quite soft. needless wear on ur spur and more friction=bad).

i dont see any1 addressing the steering system. i dont remember which exact parts are needed, but many have converted over to the E's steering linkage setup as it far less sloppy than the standard tt01. have to check in on that 1 today as there is a race mtg.

shock, dont waste ur $ with TRFs, flourine this and that. blah blah blah. Super mini CVAs are your weapon. not mini cvas, SUPER MINIs. ur choice of spring (blue/yellow is a common choice). build them with enuff spacers and/or orings to obtain ~57mm total length end to end of shock. might be tough to slip everythin on, but it will pay big dividends later

on high traction tracks or those that allow stickier tires than the standard tamiya 26mm...then u'll want offset rims or add washers behind ur wheel in front of ur hub to give wider track. that or u will suffer the 'traction roll, lemme see ya traction roll, just like a tootsie roll'.

some prefer to put heavy grease in the front diff to give more spool action, others do not makin the diff as light as possible and tryin to drive smooth lines keepin their speed up. all in ur driving style.

if u have to run on a high traction track and u feel the foams are giving up too much, since u cant get the hpi yellows anymore, try the tamiya red foams. that'll stiffen things up.

if u have a restricted motor class and/or a fixed gear ratio. and u have choice on tires. run non-belted tires. u want them to expand whatever they can on the straight for that lil bit more roll. (most of us round here in the old days and since we've brought it back have stipulated the use of HPI X pattern tires for many many years in place of tamiya stuff b/c they last so long).

sadly there is the temptation to put this car on 'roids and embarrass some 3,4,500$ kits in the stock class. we've all thought bout it. but its just not worth the $. and even if u do, then just makin folks mad or frustrated doesnt help the hobby or ur local track. and when it gets down to it, just like these clowns that soup up a honda or dsm that can outrun a 911. still when the girlies walk out the door of the club, and there's a guy w/a bling civic and a guy with a 911 (who also prolly has a portfolio, not credit card bills)...sorry gals, ur goin home in Ferdinand's vision of perfection.

good luck

R

Last edited by ultegrasti; 01-31-2009 at 06:19 AM.
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:35 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

hi, i had a tt-01 in my newbie days, and it was a brilliant car. can't belive u got a rolling for $25...BARGAIN

anyways, its well worth getting a alloy driveshaft because the plastic one starts to warp/bend after a while because it neighbors the motor which gets hot

another thing is you deffinatly should get some universal shafts for the front... when i had my car the dogbones kept popping out when turning and it continued until i got some universals. i had to race 2wd for a week or 2 while waiting for the shafts.

oh and if you want bling, theres some snazzy heat sinks on ebay, and

http://rcdocuments.com/Tamiya_TT-01_Manual.pdf <<<< heres a manual just for you,

hope i helped,
Pocket Rocket (Greg)
PocketRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Post TT-01 type E nissan GT-R

Dear expert, i am a newbie and thinking of getting a Ezrun 10T brushless motor combo with ESC 35A. I am curious about the gear ratio thing. Does anyone know what do i need to upgrade in term of the part? I have read like if the gear ratio not correct for the brushless motor, it will heat up fast, etc..I am interested in touring racing for the TT-01 type E nissan GT-R and dont know what should i upgrade in order to do touring racing.. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Bullz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 AM   #10
Tech Initiate

Thanks for the replies

There sure is vast information here from members, I greatly appreciate it
If ya didn't notice i'm an RC noob! heheh. I've been reading the tt01 threads on 2 forums and wow they're long but full of such good information, I've learnt ALOT already

So thanks for helping us out!
Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

a decent circuit chassis would be a TA05. sticking with the tamiya theme, but up a notch. mine is pretty competitive (well, will be when I get round to buying a bigger pinion) with 2nd hand electronics, a 2nd hand motor and worn out batteries.

oh, and hop ups are ALL OVER rcmart. anything you want, you can find it.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #12
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullz View Post
Dear expert, i am a newbie and thinking of getting a Ezrun 10T brushless motor combo with ESC 35A. I am curious about the gear ratio thing. Does anyone know what do i need to upgrade in term of the part? I have read like if the gear ratio not correct for the brushless motor, it will heat up fast, etc..I am interested in touring racing for the TT-01 type E nissan GT-R and dont know what should i upgrade in order to do touring racing.. Any recommendation is greatly appreciated. Thanks
I am not an expert, but I'll reply anyway.

ultegrasti gave a really nice summary of racing the TT01 in a class. Bullz, are you planning to run in a specific class, and are you legitimately racing? I personally was a parking lot basher and there is a big difference in what I would have done if I wanted to race in a class.

I have no experience or knowledge with the EZrun series of ESCs and motors... I've only known Castle Creations, Novak and Tekin ESCs for the most part. I would get a Novak or Mamba if I were you... they're just better in terms of quality AND customer support (both important).

Supra, that's exactly what I did when I started. I'm only glad to be able to pass on the help that I got back then

In terms of RC mart, I will have to say that I have read mixed reviews but my personal experience with them has been very positive. I got a free pen (lame, I know...but still!) and found everything I needed. I actually only shipped something that was under a pound (a few parts for my 1:28 Xmod) and the shipping was really cheap. Everything else will be expensive, but the amount you save is worth it. And it does take a while for it to get to you...
Old 02-02-2009, 03:13 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprra_girl View Post
Thanks for the replies

There sure is vast information here from members, I greatly appreciate it
If ya didn't notice i'm an RC noob! heheh. I've been reading the tt01 threads on 2 forums and wow they're long but full of such good information, I've learnt ALOT already

So thanks for helping us out!
Hi again Suprra

Just thought i would butt in here as they race a spec TT-01 class at Albany and if you dont hop yours up too much you will be legal in this class. Its a lot of fun and worth looking at. Heres a brief run down of specs:

1. Tamiya 23t rz and tz motor only.
2. Alloy Driveshaft.
3. Carbon top deck.
4. Metal Motor Mount.
5. 1500mAh battery
6. Spec tyres.
7. Have to use the standard gearing options.

I dont think there are any other hop-ups allowed.
If interested Pm me and I will drag up a set of rules for you.

As for a circuit chassis, bang for buck wise, you cannot beat the TA05 kit. This is capable of spanking chassis' costing twice-3 times as much.
The NHRCCC stock championship was won by a bog standard TA05 I beleive.

Cheers
Geoff
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Unfortunately the tt01 that we have already that "almost" matches those rules has a locked diff lol

The car is loose as! I have slicks on it and it still don't stick LOL

My TA03 is my winning circuit car but I would suspect that it would kinda break every rule LOL
Novak dually esc, 10T orion but no hopups on the car I don't think lol.

I dunno bout serious racing, all I'm mainly interested in is getting a group of my mates together and all racing/drifting together and making a little comp between ourselves heh

Even if I had the perfect gearing, weight distro, etc I would still come last, my control of the cars suck hahah.

Curious, what do most racers prefer to use radio wise, the steering wheel knob type or the ol up down side side transmitters?
Old 02-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #15
Tech Regular

Wheel mostly but there is still the odd stick fanatic out there
loopedeloop is offline   Reply With Quote