R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #106
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Nice 2! That thing must be crazy! Mine only has the 4600kv in it on 2s and that is too much. I need to get shorter gearing before going to the 6900.

My micro is in pieces scattered all over my workbench. I'm sure it's all there, I just need to find the time to but the bl in. Right now I'm working on another hpi vehicle, the Savage. I never thought nitro could be fun. I have a bash session coming up this weekend with some buddy T Maxx owners. I'll bring my PRO1 and show them what fast is.
HPI RS4 micro, Losi Mini SCT
AE SC10 FT, SC10 4x4 FT, Axial Exo Terra
IH8VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 10:21 AM   #107
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Awesome thread! Thanks for posting up all this information and pictures covering this chassis. I have an original rs4 pro that I love and used to run all the time. I'm going to be rebuilding it soon because as it's in a bag in storage. I'd like to get it into a rolling chassis state so I can display it and hopefully run when I get the money for a brushless setup.

So I have a few questions. Dose anyone know of a place where I can get replacement control arms? I have the original fronts and can only find one of the rears (odd I know). Will the arms from any other model work? (like the pro2?). If these answers have been covered in this thread feel free to tell me to search but I didn't notice by skimming through.

Thanks,
Mike
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2011, 11:14 AM   #108
Tech Regular

It's interesting that judging by the pics, there doesn't seem to be much difference between the Pro and Pro2. Just for the record, I am getting similar track times between my Pro and TCX.... It probably means that I suck at driving just the same in both cars!!!
M3Armand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 01:54 AM   #109
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
Awesome thread! Thanks for posting up all this information and pictures covering this chassis. I have an original rs4 pro that I love and used to run all the time. I'm going to be rebuilding it soon because as it's in a bag in storage. I'd like to get it into a rolling chassis state so I can display it and hopefully run when I get the money for a brushless setup.

So I have a few questions. Dose anyone know of a place where I can get replacement control arms? I have the original fronts and can only find one of the rears (odd I know). Will the arms from any other model work? (like the pro2?). If these answers have been covered in this thread feel free to tell me to search but I didn't notice by skimming through.

Thanks,
Mike
Glad you like the thread! The pro is a really well built car, the only thing I've broken is a body post so far. Still running the original diffs!

As far as parts go I do not know which parts are interchangeable between all the models but I do know some parts that fit the pro. The MT and nitro rs4 series use some cross over parts like the rear hubs and a arms. The nitro version arms are wide so you will need to run the 200mm setup on the pro. Here is an ebay link to some arms I believe will fit. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-NITRO-RS...item43a9e2baa7. The front knuckles are also a pretty common shared part. I think I bought Evo 3 nitro knuckles. Pro 2 MIP CVD's will fit the pro1 also. the C hubs have to be a certain kind, http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitr-RS4...item2314629b05 <<these hubs do not fit. The suspension pin is on the wrong side of the pivot screws.
these are the hubs you would need. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitro-RS...item23146294fa
These arms do fit and have holes to run the narrow set up. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HPI-Nitro-RS...item2eb7fd6ed9
The shocks from any of the touring cars should work, I'm running rs4 evo 3 shocks at the moment. They are not right for the car, they need an oil change but they look good in black.

This is just what I have experience with using trial and error and pouring over the manuals on hpi's website for hours. If you have other questions let me know and I can try and help you out with your build. Parts are rare and scarce. I bought a couple rollers for parts just to have them. If you can switch to parts that are newer or still in production that might be the way to go. I'm using some pro4 hardware on my car.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:20 AM   #110
Tech Regular

Nice thanks for the info. I actually have a set of those front a-arms in my cart on ebay ;-) I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on them or not because I have the stock carbon graphite set. So the same seller also has a set labeled as a450 for the rear (I can't link to it do to forum rules but if you search his sale items he has them labeled as "HPI Sport Alum. Rear Arm (190mm) A450"). Those look promising unless you have any information on them otherwise.

As for using the nitro rear arms and the 200mm setup I'd rather not because finding the 200mm universals is pretty slim on ebay and they are usually priced over $20 a set. I'm trying to keep the build low budget to keep my wife happy and as you know this is a hard task, Especially when all the purple bits are so cheap!

Mike
Old 09-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #111
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeGozz View Post
Nice thanks for the info. I actually have a set of those front a-arms in my cart on ebay ;-) I'm not sure if I'm going to pull the trigger on them or not because I have the stock carbon graphite set. So the same seller also has a set labeled as a450 for the rear (I can't link to it do to forum rules but if you search his sale items he has them labeled as "HPI Sport Alum. Rear Arm (190mm) A450"). Those look promising unless you have any information on them otherwise.

As for using the nitro rear arms and the 200mm setup I'd rather not because finding the 200mm universals is pretty slim on ebay and they are usually priced over $20 a set. I'm trying to keep the build low budget to keep my wife happy and as you know this is a hard task, Especially when all the purple bits are so cheap!

Mike
I think those would work. It says for the electric sport and a lot of the pivot spacing is the same so I think it might be worth a shot. I can't say for sure though as I have never actually tried those arms personally. If I didn't have rear arms I would try them.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:37 PM   #112
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
I think those would work. It says for the electric sport and a lot of the pivot spacing is the same so I think it might be worth a shot. I can't say for sure though as I have never actually tried those arms personally. If I didn't have rear arms I would try them.
Cool. I just got a set of arms for cheap off of ebay. The seller stated they had the two mounting points for the rear uprights so hopefully I'll be back in business on the cheap.

Until then I'll be bashing around with my HPI Super Nitro Rally. This car is almost as hard to find parts for. Thankfully the MT2 & RS4 3 share 99% of the drivetrain so that's easy to maintain or upgrade. I have manage to hord up 3 full sets of replacement a arms for it. I'll have to purchase a set of the purple aluminum ones if/when the time comes that I break them all...

EDIT: I just attached some pictures of the SNR

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7061.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7068.jpg  

Last edited by MikeGozz; 09-27-2011 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:14 AM   #113
Tech Regular

Like that SNR!
Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Thanks! Here are some pictures of my old rs4 rally. My son is using it now so please forgive the odd wheels and beat up body ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7097s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7100s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7103s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7105s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7106s.jpg  

Old 09-28-2011, 02:32 PM   #115
Tech Regular

And a few more...
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7109s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7110s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7111s.jpg  
Old 09-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #116
Tech Regular

And here are a few of my poor pro... You could say it's is in a state of disassembly. It needs a little love.
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7113s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7114s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7115s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7116s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7118s.jpg  

Old 09-28-2011, 02:55 PM   #117
Tech Regular

Interesting Suzuki body, never seen that one. Were the cooling holes necessary or precautionary?

That Pro is in good shape, a little diff rebuilding and off you go.

Question: Looks like the Rally has the diff upgrade. Do you notice a big difference?
Old 09-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #118
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
Interesting Suzuki body, never seen that one. Were the cooling holes necessary or precautionary?

That Pro is in good shape, a little diff rebuilding and off you go.

Question: Looks like the Rally has the diff upgrade. Do you notice a big difference?
Yeah the Suzuki body was kind of the black sheep of the rally kit (it was body number 278. You can see it here: http://archive.hpiracing.com/kits/rally/r-m.htm) . I didn't really like it but it was the only one I could find when I purchased it. As for *all* the cooling holes they were really just precautionary. I really didn't know what I was doing back when I got the kit. I just wanted to make sure it was going to stay cool.

I have ti diff cups and replacement diffs for the pro. I'm looking forward to get it rolling again. A few more pictures attached of the diff, cups and new shocks that will be going in it. It's all old new stock I found in a box when I got back into rc this year.

As for the Rally diff upgrade I honestly didn't run it with the regular gear diffs in it so I couldn't tell you if there was any difference. It was probably a waste to put them in there when I assembled it but that's what I did. I do plan on a full tear down one of these days and when I do I'm going to post a thread as you did so others can check it out.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7119s.jpg   HPI RS4 PRO brushless upgrade-img_7121s.jpg  
Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 PM   #119
Tech Regular

I found an archive of the original webpage for the HPI RS4 Pro. http://archive.hpiracing.com/?page=k...ritage/p-m.htm

Edit: I also just noticed the Pro 2 came with an inner body shell. http://www.hpiracing.com/press/pr7113.htm Thats pretty slick. IH8VTEC It would be pretty awesome if we could still get our hands on a set of those!

Mike

Last edited by MikeGozz; 09-29-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 08:28 AM   #120
Tech Regular

I ended up assembling the pro. I did it to see if I still had all the parts for it and I mostly do. The only thing I'm missing is the tensioner bearings and washers (I had to sacrifice them to my sons rs4 rally.) I will need to take it apart soon to rebuild the diffs but it's still nice to have it together as a rolling chassis. During assembly I also rebuilt the shocks. They came out so nice and smooth that immediately after I rebuilt the shocks on the Super Nitro Rally. What a difference it made!

Here's a shot of the Pro for your viewing pleasure!

Excuse the tires... motor mount plate (I have the spur gear hub in a bag).

Rear diff needs rebuilding and some loving.

Front diff same story as the rear...

The only 190mm wide body I have is pretty beat. Behold the s2000!

So I caught a good deal on a Super Nitro RS4 with a 2 speed trans... It will be wearing my 350z body that I've had sitting in a box for quite some time now. I originally got it for the SNRally but it really wasn't a good fit for the off road chassis so into storage it went. Here's a teaser ;-)

Mike