R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-07-2014, 01:11 PM   #166
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguy44 View Post
Good read! I hate to revive this thread but its really my only hop on getting this car running. I have most of the parts but missing a few. Heres my list of parts i need.Preferably a different brand or something that works.

Servo holder

Body mounts

Steering turnbuckle

The 2 plastic rings needed to complete the pilot shaft

By the way, how many ball bearing are in this car? I only found 20 in mine

Once again, i ahte revivng old threads, but its my only hope on finding parts.
Good to see you are reviving an RS4 Pro. They are great little cars!

As for the servo holder most generic alloy pieces will do just fine. The stock parts are just plastic T looking parts. Something like this would work: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201111400838

The steering turnbuckle sets for any of the RS4s will work fine. You can search eBay for HPI RS4 turnbuckle and find a bunch.

The 2 plastic rings for the pilot shaft (the belt tensioner?) can be substituted with thin washers.

There are 20 bearings including the steering bell cranks. If you are looking for the manual see here: http://www.hpiracing.com/assets/manuals/173/173.zip

The Pro 2 upper arms and body mounts can be found on ebay pretty often. There is a set up there now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/291184681798

Good luck!

Edit: I just saw your pictures in your other thread. Those are some pretty nice cars! They are both the HPI RS4 Pro 2 (not the older Pro) It looks like they are almost complete and they have a nice array of hop ups on them! If you want to get rid of them let me know ;-)
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #167
Tech Rookie

Really appreciate you looking for them. I still have the original manual with me.
What diff oil is good for these cars? I looked in The manual and it appears that there is 2 oils. A red cap and a white cap. The red cap is used for the small balls and the white is used for the larger balls in the diff. Can i just use 1 diff oil? What shock spacers work with this car? I was inspecting the shocks and it seemed to be missing spacers. I need the set to be on amazon please.

Also the link to the bearings doesnt seem to work and i found 21 in mine. I found 1 in the servo arm looking thing. I did also find a JR xr3 transmitter an the r133 reciever. The reciever has its antenna cut and mising the crystal.

Last edited by Rcguy44; 07-07-2014 at 08:24 PM.
Rcguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #168
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

For the radio you're way better off just upgrading. You can get a 2.4ghz system for $30 or less. Look for the FlySky GT2B or GT3b. Both are great and you won't need to worry about interference or crystals.

You need to use the specific grease for the diffs. If you use oil it will cause them to slip and that would make them pretty useless. Just search for the type of grease mentioned in the manual. Plenty of RC cars still use ball diffs and the grease is fairly cheap.

Any 12mm wide touring car shock spacers should work fine.
MikeGozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 01:59 PM   #169
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the reply. I need body posts though. It doesnt have to be exactly made for this car though. I was looking and thought the sprint 2, nitro pro3 and the pro 4 sets looked like it would fit. Any tips?
Rcguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:05 AM   #170
Tech Rookie

I just completed a rebuild for my Pro 3. A bunch of purple "Jet Racing" parts from ebay, and a Penguin R\C chassis. Lipo and brushless will go into it. Very curious how this will run with new technology. Can't upload pic's because the file size it too big. Only took pictures with my phone's camera. If I can find a way to get the file size smaller, I'll upload them. The car looks really amazing now. Looks very much like the old Hara edition.
YamFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:12 AM   #171
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

It will be like a whole new car I'm sure. The difference for my conversion was amazing. Brushless power is brutally fast. I bought all the extra diffs I could find for my car.
IH8VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:36 AM   #172
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8VTEC View Post
It will be like a whole new car I'm sure. The difference for my conversion was amazing. Brushless power is brutally fast. I bought all the extra diffs I could find for my car.
Did you change your gearing around? Not sure if I should change the pitch. You have any motor recommendations?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #173
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I did change around my gearing a bunch. I have no idea where it's at right now. Since I have the hpi rally version too I can use 64p or 48p between the cars. I stayed with 64p since I have more gearing options because I just have a bunch more spurs and pinions in 64p. Right now I have the 6900kv castle motor in it with the sidewinder sv2. I've also had the 4600kv one in and they are both beasts. Right now the 4600kv 4poles are in my rally cars. I just run the the cars for a few minutes and check motor and esc temps and adjust the gearing as necessary. I have a clear shot at the motor through the bottom of the chassis so it's easy to check temps with a temp gun. The only hang up for me was finding lipos that fit my battery holders.
IH8VTEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:43 PM   #174
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcguy44 View Post
Really appreciate you looking for them. I still have the original manual with me.
What diff oil is good for these cars? I looked in The manual and it appears that there is 2 oils. A red cap and a white cap. The red cap is used for the small balls and the white is used for the larger balls in the diff. Can i just use 1 diff oil? What shock spacers work with this car? I was inspecting the shocks and it seemed to be missing spacers. I need the set to be on amazon please.

Also the link to the bearings doesnt seem to work and i found 21 in mine. I found 1 in the servo arm looking thing. I did also find a JR xr3 transmitter an the r133 reciever. The reciever has its antenna cut and mising the crystal.
In my RS4 PRO, I always built my diffs with Associated Stealth Diff Lube for the main diff balls and rings, and used Associated Black Grease for the thrust bearing rings/balls. They work great and last you many, many diff rebuilds. Just make sure not to over tighten the thrust bearing screw as the diff rings will get grooves in them much quicker than normal and the diff will feel "notchy" in no time.

There are some great tutorials online if you search for rebuilding ball differentials.

My RS4 PRO is still in great condition and I have a ton of spare parts still in the package, but I'm too afraid to race it for fear of breaking it, haha. It still brings back memories of races 15+ years ago! Enjoy your RS4!
CamLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 04:00 PM   #175
Tech Rookie

I feel you on the "not racing" part. My car looks too good at the moment. It was my first electric car when it came out, so it hold a special place. On the other hand, my T1 EVO2 will see some track time once I get that one race ready.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:07 PM   #176
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey guys... FYi - with 3 kids, I need to off load some stuff since they will just collect dust. Here's my RS4 Pro for sale...

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...l#post13483520
XRAY XB2 2018, XRAY XB4 2017, Durango DEST210R, XRAY XB4 2014, Vaterra Slick Rock, Durango DEX210, SpeedMerchant REV4, HB TCX, Traxxas EMaxx, HPI RS4 Pro, Tamiya TA02, Yokomo YZ10, Associated RC10 Team Car, Bolink Eliminator 10, Kyosho Optima, Tamiya HotShot, Tamiya Grasshopper
theclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #177
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamFam View Post
I just completed a rebuild for my Pro 3. A bunch of purple "Jet Racing" parts from ebay, and a Penguin R\C chassis. Lipo and brushless will go into it. Very curious how this will run with new technology. Can't upload pic's because the file size it too big. Only took pictures with my phone's camera. If I can find a way to get the file size smaller, I'll upload them. The car looks really amazing now. Looks very much like the old Hara edition.
I just built up a pro3 as well. As far as the brushless system make sure the motor isn't too long or the rear bulkhead will interfere with it. Shorty packs are the only lipos I have found that will fit. Are you actually going to race? It would be nice to have someone else who is also running this car to bounce ideas and setups off.
2uzferunner03 is offline   Reply With Quote