R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2009, 04:02 PM   #31
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to squarehead Send a message via MSN to squarehead Send a message via Yahoo to squarehead Send a message via Skype™ to squarehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailranger View Post
I am not a VTA fan becuase of the spec rules for tires, but I do like the appeal of cost effective close racing.
Quote:
Being cost effective does not require Spec tire rules, just a simple rule to keep the tires tall and meaty and limited to one compoud for front and rear.

Ummm... yeah, that's called a spec tire rule.

And you should try the VTA "spec" tires—they work as well as the tire of the week in open touring car classes, and are good for more than a season of racing. Sounds like a good class rule to me.
squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 04:12 PM   #32
Tech Addict

[QUOTE=bigmac567;5364328], There is a very easy way to to make the cars slower, Let of the throttle. QUOTE]

Could not agree more. I also don't understand the push to slow everything down.

Dave
dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #33
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

One reason I take issue with the movment to slow things down is that it makes the cars easy to drive strapped. Once you get there, motor and batteries become very important.

If everyonoe has way more power on hand than they can reasonably put to the track, everyone has to back off on the trigger to get decent lap times... in other words, eveyone has to DRIVE to do well. Isn't that what a driver's class should be? No one has to buy three or four motors to find the "good one" if the first motor you buy is way more power than you need. And with 4600+NIMH packs or LiPO, no onoe has to worry about ever dumping unless you go to the REAL low wind motors...

A 10.5 brushless in a 1/12 scale is more power than anyone can drive strapped, no one will be beat because they didn't have a good motor. YES, it's harder to drive, but isn't 1/12 the F1 of r/c? Shouldn't a 1/12 car be harder to drive than a VTA or World GT?
Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
Find me anyone who races 1/12 mod at the club level any more.

Look, I don't necessarily disagree with you, it's just that some of your ideas have been tried and failed. That and too many classes isn't a good thing either.
I will have to agree with you on that one. To many classes will kill a club or track faster than anything. My point is that even with 12th scale stock, it's to fast for the new guys and even for some of us old farts who's reflexes(and eyesight) are not as good as the younger racers. I am doing this 12th scale on road thing for the first time and it isn't as easy as you guys make it look. I just like the idea of something a bit slower and easier to drive.
I mean no disrespect to anybody.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:39 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

1/12 scale is no longer a class for beginners. Back in the day when 1/12 was all there was you had to have an entry level class. Touring car has taken over, and you can find any number of combinations there. That and it's easier to make a realistic 1/10 scale body.

1/12 is much more technical right from the start. You're talking adjustments measured in millimeters. And try wiring a 1/12 car with the body that comes almost right on top of the battery. 1/12 takes more skill, and I think that's why us older racers prefer it.

And if it were easy, it wouldn't be any fun.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:56 AM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fpart

I just want 1/12 cars to look real. Not like they look now. Like a piece of lexan mounted on the chassis! BTW I race 1/12 cars and have for 20 years. I have never had as much fun as when I mounted an old Mercury Capri TransAm body on my car. Yes it was slower but a lot more fun to me!
fpart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:50 AM   #37
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The problem is that 12th scale is a purebred racing class.

I am quickly figuring out that stepping 1mm off of that fine line that "defines" the class gets you quickly in a world of shit. I'm ready to just hang the 12th scale up for good because of it. I was bullied for running brushless a year ago, so I went brushed. 2 months later, 12th scale authority declares brushless is awesome and I'm stuck with a pile of brushed stuff that I didn't even want in the first place. Now 1c lipo is cool, but guess what, nothing but negative response.

I would absolutely love to run the class, but it obviously just doesn't fit me.

As sad as it is, you just can't touch 12th scale. Love it by wearing a tattoo, or run something else. Dealing with it just isn't worth it.

www.summitrcraceway.com
sportpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 10:56 AM   #38
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing to think about there are way more 1/12th Trans Am type body molds just laying around than there are for 1/10th scale. There isnt any tooling cost for these bodies. Thats one reason I think that if you really wanted to run a sort of IMSA Trans Am class on a 1/12th chassis it would be easier than even the current VTA racing. VTA is just lucky that there are even the few bodies to chose from now.
In this thread there are plenty of places to get scale 1/12th bodies and Parma hasnt even been mentioned. I sure they still have all the old 1/12th molds lying around collecting dust. Getting them to do something with them is a different story.

If you really like scale 1/12th bodies them buy one mount it up and bring it to your local track. Just use whatever car you have now,and just enjoy the car. At least it will give people something to talk about.

When i get my New Greenwood Corvette painted up I will post it up here. Maybe i will post a picture of my old one just for fun later.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #39
Tech Champion

Oh, Parma must have a thousand plugs from the good old days. They had several 1/10 bodies I would love to see them release again. 70 Monte Carlo, 83 and 86 Monte Carlo SS, 69 Chevelle, and others I can't think of.

That Greenwood 'Vette sounds cool, and it might be fun for a little while, but the majority of 1/12 racers want the doorstop bodies.

I have also heard rumblings about a GBS set of rules for 1/12.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:57 PM   #40
Tech Regular

If you want nice GT bodies the world GT class is a much better option. The body itself isn't the only issue with 1/12 scale. The narrow chassis is easy to traction roll once you have some weight up high. The switch to Lipo makes it even more sensitive to weight up high. If you want to roll over every lap race a mini cooper.

The other issue is tire wear once the car is loose and scrubbing speed in the corners. Once again that was addressed in WGT with spec tires. To tune a car with weight bias you need to be able to move stuff around. In 1/12 the real estate is all used up with no place to move anything.

1/12 is exactly what it needs to be for now. The only change needed in the class was to fit a Lipo and that is being done at most tracks.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:08 PM   #41
Tech Adept

Should this class ever start it should be 27 turn, 4 cell no bl, no lipo imho Post up them pics! I think this would be a sick class who don't want to buy the motor/battery of the week
Old 02-02-2009, 01:02 AM   #42
Tech Adept

Quote:
If you want nice GT bodies the world GT class is a much better option. The body itself isn't the only issue with 1/12 scale. The narrow chassis is easy to traction roll once you have some weight up high. The switch to Lipo makes it even more sensitive to weight up high. If you want to roll over every lap race a mini cooper.
The Mini Cooper body works great on my GenX. No traction rolls. I just had to use a little bit stiffer setup. My car is not the fastest 12th scaler, but the fastest Mini
Der Dicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:02 AM   #43
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_E View Post
If you want nice GT bodies the world GT class is a much better option.
Having just been at the Snowbirds, there was like one guy running a Corvette, everything else was Sophias. Nothing wrong with the Sophia, but it would be cool if there were other bodies that "worked".

Quote:
The body itself isn't the only issue with 1/12 scale. The narrow chassis is easy to traction roll once you have some weight up high. The switch to Lipo makes it even more sensitive to weight up high. If you want to roll over every lap race a mini cooper.nt nice GT bodies the world GT class is a much better option.
The WGT cars are way narrower in proportion to a 1/12 car. A 1/12 is like a 235mm car in proportion.

Quote:
The other issue is tire wear once the car is loose and scrubbing speed in the corners. Once again that was addressed in WGT with spec tires. To tune a car with weight bias you need to be able to move stuff around. In 1/12 the real estate is all used up with no place to move anything.

1/12 is exactly what it needs to be for now. The only change needed in the class was to fit a Lipo and that is being done at most tracks.
So purple and gray or purple and pink would not work? This could be a very fun class for the local level. I have seen the Greenwood Corvette on a 1/12 car, and it is KILLER in looks. I think a 17.5 or 21.5 motor and 3.7v lipo would be perfect for a sportsman or fun type class with these bodies. I would never want to change regular 1/12 racing, but this could be a fun way to get new people involved with 1/12. If the cars are slow enough, the bodies won't matter.

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:18 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk View Post
Having just been at the Snowbirds, there was like one guy running a Corvette, everything else was Sophias. Nothing wrong with the Sophia, but it would be cool if there were other bodies that "worked".

The WGT cars are way narrower in proportion to a 1/12 car. A 1/12 is like a 235mm car in proportion.

So purple and gray or purple and pink would not work? This could be a very fun class for the local level. I have seen the Greenwood Corvette on a 1/12 car, and it is KILLER in looks. I think a 17.5 or 21.5 motor and 3.7v lipo would be perfect for a sportsman or fun type class with these bodies. I would never want to change regular 1/12 racing, but this could be a fun way to get new people involved with 1/12. If the cars are slow enough, the bodies won't matter.
I do like the Parma purple fronts as they have been pretty durable. They are still not wearing as well as the Lilac WGT spec tires. The rear WGT tires have 10 times the lifespan for me that grey 1/12 rears have when I run NiMh packs. The most life I ever had out of a rear 1/12 tire was with Jaco magenta rears. An excellent 1/12 tire even though you have to clean them with motor spray after 2 nights of racing. ( I still prefer the feel of the greys)
I've ony run the 1S lipo for less than a month , so I'm not going to call that one yet.

Your probably right about the aspect ratio of the cars. My opinion on the lower center of gravity comes from racing them both on the same nights the past few weeks with only one heat in between runs.
Eddie_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:31 PM   #45
Tech Adept

Is there a rule that states one must run doorstop style bodies on 1/12 cars, or is it just a lack of interest in other bodies that caused the decrease in sales. I run what the other guys run because that is what is available. I don't foresee myself at a national level so at club level I could run a '65 beetle.
not-a-lobster is offline   Reply With Quote