R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-28-2009, 11:20 AM   #16
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky/C View Post
Am I wrong or can you adjust the timing on the ESC too?

You wont need a motor with adjustable timing if the ESC can do it?
Set the motor timing fairly low and adjust it in the speedo. You will like the feel much better over the entire rpm range. High mechanical timing is fine for top speed, but not so good on the low end. There are always trade offs speed vs grunt in a spec motor being used to its max ability.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:10 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Very true Jim, but not all ESC's have adjustable timing which is one of the reasons I started the thread. At my local tracks there is a number of guys running lower spec ESCs with next to zero features for the 17.5T class.

An example of a top of the line ESC that is very popular with no adjustable timing, LRP TC Sphere. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

It has different modes which I believe adjusts the timing but it has very little effect.

I run the timing on my current Novak motor at maximum well at least most of the time. It was set at maximum out of the box and it works well there.

I have found adjusting anywhere from about half way to maximum of the adjustment range it performs almost indetically at top end and low down punch but with more timing there is slightly more mid range.

Lower timing than half way it looses power everywhere, not a massive change but enough that on track performance suffers.

The adjustment region is very very small and I am supprise that the above post indicates that it is 12 deg as I would have thought it to be less.

Last edited by frozenpod; 01-28-2009 at 08:02 PM.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #18
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
The adjustment region is very very small and I am supprise that the above post indicates that it is 12 deg as I would have thought it to be less.
12 degrees is not much. Even 27 turn stockers have 24.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
Tech Master
 
WIITA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,590
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenpod View Post
Very true Randy, but not all ESC's have adjustable timing which is one of the reasons I started the thread. At my local tracks there is a number of guys running lower spec ESCs with next to zero features for the 17.5T class.

An example of a top of the line ESC that is very popular with no adjustable timing, LRP TC Sphere. (Please correct me if I am wrong)

It has different modes which I believe adjusts the timing but it has very little effect.

I run the timing on my current Novak motor at maximum well at least most of the time. It was set at maximum out of the box and it works well there.

I have found adjusting anywhere from about half way to maximum of the adjustment range it performs almost indetically at top end and low down punch but with more timing there is slightly more mid range.

Lower timing than half way it looses power everywhere, not a massive change but enough that on track performance suffers.

The adjustment region is very very small and I am supprise that the above post indicates that it is 12 deg as I would have thought it to be less.


How do you go about adjusting the timing on the novak motor. Do you just rotate the end counter clockwise? How Far? What do you think would be a good timing for a 1/12 scale? Thanks
WIITA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:54 PM   #20
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: RVA
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

12 degrees is not much but most, not all as stated above, ESC's have the option of advance in them. On up to around 30 degrees. So 12 and a conservitive 15 nets 27 degrees advance. The art of mechanical timing and electronic timing is the new age of tunning. Throw in variable timing and you could spend months finding the optimal settings, and then the layout changes and you start over, LOL. I set gear ratio as speced run it play with electronis timing ( cause it's easiest to adjust ) readjust gearing, run again and play with electronic timing, if I can't get a fell I'm looking for then I'll start on mechanical, and re do all I did before. I doubt I'm nowhere close to optimal but it's close enough for a B main racer.
Tim
got2bqik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:07 PM   #21
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas tx
Posts: 10
Default Do they?

I dont think brushless motor have timing on the motor, theres no refernce point like a brushed motor, brushes and contacts on the armature with relation to the magnets......

Even the Brushless ESC for the planes i have have adjustable timing in the ESC.

Am i not right? Maybe im sleeping again....
dave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #22
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave01 View Post
I dont think brushless motor have timing on the motor, theres no refernce point like a brushed motor, brushes and contacts on the armature with relation to the magnets......

Even the Brushless ESC for the planes i have have adjustable timing in the ESC.

Am i not right? Maybe im sleeping again....
The reference point comes from the sensor. Of course on a sensorless motor there would be no mechanical timing.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #23
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Brushed and brushless timing is very different and cant be directly compared.

Brushless timing relates to the slip angle between the rotor position and stator current and optimal setting for max RPM and torque is very different.

It could be of bennifit to add to this thread which ESC's have adjustable timing and in what way the timing can be adjusted.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #24
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dallas tx
Posts: 10
Default Oh....

Oh the ole Sensor........ yep could be for sure a reference point for timing.

Ill be gtting a new fangled brushless motor with a sensor soon...... none of the planes have them.

Figured i was missing something cause im still new again to cars yet no one was speaking up.

DAve
dave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #25
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

In most motors timing is fluff and a tuning item. In spec motors being used to their max power ability it has turned out to be key along with the right gearing to get it all when tenths make the difference. With mod 1/10 and 1/8 motors you can always motor up and do not want to be pushing the motors power limits.

Tekin Prez
Jim Campbell
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #26
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,059
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Opps sorry Jim just fixed that up for you.

Yes that is pretty much how it is and as you say in close racing the tenths make the difference.
frozenpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:01 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net