R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by linger View Post
Something to consider.

Torque steer was a beotch on shaft drive cars with brushed motors. The heavy armature (large polar moment of intertia) created havoc as the armature accelerated and decelerated.

Brushless motor might be ideal for shaft drive.
The brushless motors are much lighter and most of the mass is on a smaller radius - thus a much smaller polar moment of interia. They should have a lot LESS torque steer.

Bring back shaft drive! Brushless cures torque steer.
Sounds like someone needs an EVO5 MS! :-)
Adam? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:11 PM   #17

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to StephenSobottka

Guess I need to bring the SRD4 back out of retirement this year
Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I'm running a FT TC3 next point series. E4s will be benched until further notice.
Old 01-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 98 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to olhipster1
Default PM back

B18C
PM sent your way.

It does seem shafties do quite well with VTA....
cheap to run...
for those who have old benched cars easiest way to get into VTA without breaking the bank.
CAUSE and EFFECT
olhipster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

I ran my EVO 5 for the first half of our indoor season and it was much quicker then my 415 but..... the 415 feels more planted through the infield and i get faster & more constisantant lap times with it. I will try the EVO again when we move outside to a bigger track...
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 02:47 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Honestly I think you will see belts because it allows the designers to create a design where the lipo battery sits horizontal in the chassis instead of longitudinal. Think back to the HPI RS4 Pro2, Xray FK04, or Tamiya TRF414.

Personally I think this is the answer to lipo chassis balance and also allowing for the weight limit to be lowered at the same time.

Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 04:16 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
Honestly I think you will see belts because it allows the designers to create a design where the lipo battery sits horizontal in the chassis instead of longitudinal. Think back to the HPI RS4 Pro2, Xray FK04, or Tamiya TRF414.

Personally I think this is the answer to lipo chassis balance and also allowing for the weight limit to be lowered at the same time.

And the answer to that is HPI's Cyber 10b 4wd buggy, otherwise known as the Cyclone D4 Sport.

http://www.redrc.net/2008/11/hot-bod...ber-10b-buggy/

The battery runs UNDER the shaft and im sure this also allows for saddle setups as well. I was informed by an HPI R&D guy i know that this will also accept many standard and hop up parts of the D4 WCE too. Now, that can be converted back down to a TC with more design refinements i bet.
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:30 PM   #23
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post
And the answer to that is HPI's Cyber 10b 4wd buggy, otherwise known as the Cyclone D4 Sport.
I never indicated you couldn't raise the shaft drive enough for a battery to slide underneath. That only addresses one issue. Notice on the Pro2, FK04, etc that the motor is mounted horizontal to the chassis, eliminating torque steer, and also the motor is dead center of the chassis, helping with chassis balance. With a shaft drive the motor must be on one side or the other and would have to be counter balanced by other components, not ideal.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM   #24
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony.L View Post
I never indicated you couldn't raise the shaft drive enough for a battery to slide underneath. That only addresses one issue. Notice on the Pro2, FK04, etc that the motor is mounted horizontal to the chassis, eliminating torque steer, and also the motor is dead center of the chassis, helping with chassis balance. With a shaft drive the motor must be on one side or the other and would have to be counter balanced by other components, not ideal.
I think torque steer isnt going to be a big issue with brushless motors as Linger noted below. Plus with the motor running parallel with the drivetrain you dont have the motor hanging off the side which should make balancing easier. I suppose if you moved the servo to the battery side (would likely require a low profile servo) then you would be very close to balanced with a shaft drive car.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #25
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syber Serulean View Post

http://www.redrc.net/2008/11/hot-bod...ber-10b-buggy/

The battery runs UNDER the shaft and im sure this also allows for saddle setups as well. I was informed by an HPI R&D guy i know that this will also accept many standard and hop up parts of the D4 WCE too. Now, that can be converted back down to a TC with more design refinements i bet.
Don't they already have that with the Pro-D?

Old 01-26-2009, 06:55 PM   #26
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Burns View Post

i totally forgot about that car lol. Its not available in the US, at least not through any HPI US distributors or HPI USA themselves.

I wonder how well that car will do in onroad races (non-drift). Hmm...
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Jari`s chassis are awsome. I had a lcg of his and it was great on carpet. I`m using a bd chassis of his at this time
magnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:10 AM   #28
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Burns View Post

That's a very interesting chassis. I like the layout with the battery running across the chassis and the motor mid mounted.
TA03R Cirtix 17.5 club spec
F109 Tekin 21.5
danketchpel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 06:57 AM   #29
Tech Champion

As much as I liked using the tc3, I was over driving it and killing arms and uprights in stock. I got too used to what power I had.

You only have to have some unfriendly track boards and it was game over when the tyre came into contact with the apex (and you can still be carrying too much speed at the apex of any corner) so the car had no "give" in it.

Switching over the a ta05, i've had very little issues at all for a few years, I can get away with a few board taps now and then and it seems to feel very little less responsive than the tc3 did.

It seems you are more likely to bend a hinge pin with the ta05, but with the tc3, you could bend the pin and do other damage too.

I also think it took a lot less effort to get the drivetrain very free on the ta05 over the tc3.

Yes, the answer is not to board tap in the first place, but my guess is that the tc3 is heavier than the '05, so that's why I was over driving it.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:03 PM   #30
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Right, my thoughts on this. I run 10.5 and run a highly modded TA05 and a TB03 (plastic Evo 5). Now, lap after lap, the TA05 is the faster car over a full 5 minutes race. The TB-03, if you can control the torque steer coming out of left hand corners, is a faster car, over one flying lap (0.5 second indoors on foams), but it is soooo hard to keep it on the pace, as you are constantly fighting the torque, it is hard.

But in stock, they are awesome, as there is less torque involved.
DA_cookie_monst is offline   Reply With Quote