R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-02-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
Tech Master

Default Rubber tires on carpet?

I am going to be running my first sedan this year and am going to be running rubber tires with a stock motor. What tire does anyone recomend? Most are using the take-of 27's where I race. Also what are your maintanence tricks. I.E. cleaning and compound combinations. All help will be greatly appreciated.
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 11:54 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Re: Rubber tires on carpet?

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeediePHATT
I am going to be running my first sedan this year and am going to be running rubber tires with a stock motor. What tire does anyone recomend? Most are using the take-of 27's where I race. Also what are your maintanence tricks. I.E. cleaning and compound combinations. All help will be greatly appreciated.
I use Take Off 27 premount spec tires. I like them because they are cheap, durable, and give great traction. I just clean mine with simple green, and put whatever traction compound everyone is using on the full width of the tire in the back, and just the inside half of the tires up front. if you have too much steering, then put it on the inside 1/4. If you need more steering put it on 3/4 - the full width of the front tires. I usually let the traction compound soak for 3 min if there is alot of traction, 5 if it's average, and 10 or more if there isn't very much at all. Hope this helps you out.

-Sushi Boy
Old 11-03-2003, 02:28 AM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Sorex 28 in the front and 24 in the rear, they give better traction than the Takeoff's
Serpent S411 LE kit #192
RCTech #361
Matt Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 02:35 AM   #4
Tech Adept

for the BEST traction ever get sorex 24's front and 20's on the rear u will have so much traction most people at my track use them
acid_rain182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:09 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

I have found a couple of combinations to work for me. Pit 27 front-Pit24 Rear with an echo red insert. <- thats with paragon

Take Off 27 front-Take Off 22 rear with Jack the Gripper. If I wanted more steering with Take off's I would go to 22's all around. Sorex 28's all around work well, have not tried with 24's in the rear.

Make sure you clean the tires , especially with the Gripper, they get a buildup on them. Off all the combinations, I really liked the Take Off 27/22.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:00 PM   #6
Tech Apprentice

i run the take off 27 on front and rear. i clean them with rubbing alcohol and use TQ Blue as traction compound. most guys run a one-diff in front but that makes it handle a lot different.
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 03:24 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I currently use sorex 24/hard insert front and 24/med insert rear. Works pretty good. Not as good as my car on foams but its the rules for our stock class to run rubber tires.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:31 PM   #8
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by TimPotter
Off all the combinations, I really liked the Take Off 27/22.
I agree 100% . I run a take-off 27f/22r combo on cold indoor asphault, and it works perfect! I find the take-offs provide better traction and better durability then the comperable sorex equivalent.
holycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #9
Tech Elite

I would recomend rubbing alcohol over Simple green. I know simple green make tires FEEL sticky, but ........... its soap! A little rubbing alcohol on a rag, wipe off the tire, then apply your sauce. MUCH BETTER
PitCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:57 PM   #10
Tech Addict

is the traction compound for foam tires the same as those for rubber?
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:08 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

no, TQ makes different solutions for foam and rubber, but you can use one for the other if you have to.
lukewilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:22 PM   #12
Tech Master

Default rubber tires

Thanks for all of the replies so far. I talked to a guy at the track the other day and he suggested cleaning the tires with lighter fluid. Anyone else heard of this?
Speedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #13
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to ImGoinRCn

When I ran rubber tires in stock, I used the sorex 24s in the front and 20s in the rear w/ hpi medium inserts but tried the take off 27s and never changed. I ran a diff in the front, center one way, thick sway bars, 80wt oil all around and stiff springs. I cleaned the tire w/ some trinity rubber tire cleaner and paragon for tire traction compound. I wish we had another rubber tire stock class, My cars just was right on with them. I did prefer the take off pre mounts more than the sorexes. Hope this helps.
X Factory R/C SCX-60CF
X Factory R/C X-6
ImGoinRCn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:14 PM   #14
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Phatt,

All I ever cleaned my carpet rubber with, was a towel and a little dab of whatver traction compound. I would just rub the crap and buildup off of the tires that way. The suggestions to run a one way, are good. I have yet to find a carpet track I am faster with a diff, but that is for my driving style ( or lack there of ).
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 08:22 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Any word on the carpet nationals??