Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
How to connect Turbo 35 to PC >

How to connect Turbo 35 to PC

How to connect Turbo 35 to PC

Old 01-24-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Default How to connect Turbo 35 to PC

I have GFX 35 and I would like to connect to my pc. The only issues is that I don't own any computers with serial ports and I use vista so I do not have HyperTerminal. I check my laptops and pc's and I do not have serial ports or PS2 ports.

Is there a way I can connect the serial port to look like a keyboard on a USB port? This would be an easy way to just open up word pad and capture the data.

This would be useful to caputre the dischrage data of my lipos. Or I'll have to move on to the smarter units with USB links.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No I don't think you could use word pad to capture the data.

You would probably have to use a usb to serial converter, around 25 bucks.

There are many free terminal emulator programs out there. The one I use at work is called PuTTY. Very basic but it works.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

As Jim mentioned, download putty, it's 100x better then Hyperterminal anyways and now supports Serial.

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe

Then go to your local computer store or Best Buy. Ask for a USB to serial adapter. Mine cost me $20 and works great with Vista.

Here's a idea of what you are looking for...

Old 01-25-2009, 09:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by jiml
No I don't think you could use word pad to capture the data.

You would probably have to use a usb to serial converter, around 25 bucks.

There are many free terminal emulator programs out there. The one I use at work is called PuTTY. Very basic but it works.
I already own a rs-232 to usb....
But, with out the proper software like HyperTerminal you can not capture the streaming data off the port. Vista took out hyper terminal, and the software taht might work cost quite a bit.

So what I was looking for was a way to convert the ASCII 8 bit data stream into an emulated keyboard so that any text editor would work without the use of comm port settings.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
I already own a rs-232 to usb....
But, with out the proper software like HyperTerminal you can not capture the streaming data off the port. Vista took out hyper terminal, and the software taht might work cost quite a bit.
Did you just completely ignore this part of Jim and I's post?

http://the.earth.li/~sgtatham/putty/.../x86/putty.exe

It's better then Hyperterminal, it's completely free, and it works on Vista. problem solved.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

I didn't ignore it, I just had to swtich to my laptop to try putty to connect to my GFX. I already downloaded a slew of comm apps and all seem to fail so I didn't want to get my hopes up.

I will plan on trying putty in the next hour when I get my garage all toasty.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trailranger
So what I was looking for was a way to convert the ASCII 8 bit data stream into an emulated keyboard so that any text editor would work without the use of comm port settings.
Yea, I don't think you can do that. What comes out of the GFX is serial comm and there's no way of changing that.

Couple thing you have to keep in mind. The comm settings in the terminal software are important. They have to match the GFX. If I remember right the baud rate is 9600. Select anything else and it won't work.

Also you need a straight through cable. A nulled cable won't work.

I know all this because I've done it. I brought the GFX specifically for this feature. I don't know if it ever helped me, but it looked real cool.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks Jim,

Finally got the GFX to communicate. The putty app IMO was the most simple app I tried and was one of the few that didn't crash when selecting the comm port..

I've messed with comm stuff long time ago when I needed to transfer files or use Serial Joy sticks, but as I am finding out the common wasy to access those ports are getting cut out. Just shows that even though the computers are advancing, the hardware outside the box is not.