Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans! >

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Like Tree18Likes

Veteran TAMIYA TA03 fans!

Old 11-29-2010, 04:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

My son wants to use his TA-03F for VTA. He has lots of hop ups for it including the carbon chassis. The problem is that this car has a short wheel base. How do we convert it to a standard wheel base so we can run it in VTA. He would prefer to keep it in the front motor format.

BTW, he has it set up with VTA wheels and tires and has done some laps with it without a body and it looks very good. I think this car can find a second life in club level VTA.

Thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 04:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by woodys3b
My son wants to use his TA-03F for VTA. He has lots of hop ups for it including the carbon chassis. The problem is that this car has a short wheel base. How do we convert it to a standard wheel base so we can run it in VTA. He would prefer to keep it in the front motor format.
The convert it to a standard wheelbase you will need a normal length (not f/s, r/s) chassis, top deck and belt.

The belts are easy enough to get hold of and the chassis come up on fleabay as well. If you are after a brand new chassis and top deck fibre-lyte in the uk are able to supply them for just over 50 pound.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Tech Regular

Spent the day at the track yesterday running the TA-03 (short chassis) with VTA tires. I was really amazed at how good this car is for what it is. With all that weight up front, it makes a very good choice for a relatively low traction carpet track in a class like VTA where the motors are mild. This thing went through the turns better or as good as any of our high end touring cars. Just need to keep your finger in it a tad more to keep some weight on the rear tires. If you lift too much in a turn, the back end will step out but if you stab it, it comes right back in. What a great experience!
Old 12-24-2010, 04:16 AM
Tech Regular

Spent the day at the track yesterday running the TA-03 (short chassis) with VTA tires. I was really amazed at how good this car is for what it is. With all that weight up front, it makes a very good choice for a relatively low traction carpet track in a class like VTA where the motors are mild. This thing went through the turns better or as good as any of our high end touring cars. Just need to keep your finger in it a tad more to keep some weight on the rear tires. If you lift too much in a turn, the back end will step out but if you stab it, it comes right back in. What a great experience!
Woody, just curious but what motor/gearing/tires do you use for VTA? I bought my TAO3 as as impulse buy (because I always wanted one) but haven't had a chance to use it yet.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Tech Regular

The tires and wheels are the HPI vintage ones that the rules call for. You can find the rules at USVTA.com. Not sure on the motor and gearing yet. We were just running a mild 27 turn brushed motor for testing. The rules call for a brushless 25.5 and my experience is that a FDR of around 4.0 is where you want to be. I don't know if I can get to 4.0 with this car so we may use a 21.5 and gear it at around 5.2.

I think that one of the things that makes this chassis good for VTA is that the spec tires like some weight on them. All that weight on the front tires made it feel like a slot car. We may end up adding a little weight to the back of the car in the end. The weight limit for VTA is 1550mg.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The tires and wheels are the HPI vintage ones that the rules call for. You can find the rules at USVTA.com. Not sure on the motor and gearing yet. We were just running a mild 27 turn brushed motor for testing. The rules call for a brushless 25.5 and my experience is that a FDR of around 4.0 is where you want to be. I don't know if I can get to 4.0 with this car so we may use a 21.5 and gear it at around 5.2.

I think that one of the things that makes this chassis good for VTA is that the spec tires like some weight on them. All that weight on the front tires made it feel like a slot car. We may end up adding a little weight to the back of the car in the end. The weight limit for VTA is 1550mg.
depending on the chassis you have you can move the battery back a little and that helps...

Its been a while since I've run mine with anything but low turn motors but I am pretty sure the tallest gearing you can get with standard Tamiya gears is 4.96... 5.2 shouldn't be a problem.

If you can find an Eagle racing gear conversion set you can get taller gearing but they are hard to find
Old 12-25-2010, 04:03 AM
Tech Regular

It's the short wheel base chassis so we have to make our own carbon chassis plates to get it to standard TC wheelbase. This is required in order to run the proper bodies for the class. That will give us a chance to move the battery as well.

Thanks for the gearing info. Will start the search for the Eagle Racing gears.

We also noticed lots of flex in the shocks towers. Has anyone addressed this with success?
Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

if you are lucky you might find the carbon chassis from Tamiya...

Tamiya made carbon re-enforced shock towers but good luck finding them... if you are capable with carbon fiber etc (as you appear to be if making your own chassis) it is possible to make new shock towers using good quality alloy angle and 3mm carbon plate... I made some up for mine and they worked very well... you can make them so there is more adjustment on the rear but the fronts are harder as the belt and pulley are in the way
Old 01-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I see the CF plates on eBay every now and then. I have a set I may part with depending on the offer. Has been mounted but I have yet to run it.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Good to know peeps are still using this chassis...probably my favorite touring car of all time...Use to beat Yoks, XXXs, Pro3s and TC3s in the Stock class all the time with it...I'm sure if I raced it today in the stock class, it could still compete. Biggest improvement was using the TA02 steering blocks...reduced caster gave it ALOT more steering as this thing tended to understeer with all the weight up front.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
Suspended

What is the longest gearing that TA03 f DAVID JUN car can have. I hope to gear it to 4,5.
I tryed to search the cars manual from google but no luck.
So please help me to find the answer to me.
Jerzi

PS I found the pro version manual and in the manual it says 5,8 is to longest gearing.
Old 09-28-2011, 02:27 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by jerzi
What is the longest gearing that TA03 f DAVID JUN car can have. I hope to gear it to 4,5.
I tryed to search the cars manual from google but no luck.
So please help me to find the answer to me.
Jerzi

PS I found the pro version manual and in the manual it says 5,8 is to longest gearing.
I'm digging my old setup sheets out so if no one beats me to it I should be able to post something definite tomorrow... but off the top of my head 4.4 rings a bell as a possibility...
Old 09-28-2011, 02:54 AM
Tech Adept

To get 4.56 you will need a 37 pinion,thats with the pro gears.The internal ratio is 2.68,you might get it to fit i had a 34 or 35 when i raced silver can, and cant remember having any problem
Old 09-28-2011, 05:32 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by peter p
To get 4.56 you will need a 37 pinion,thats with the pro gears.The internal ratio is 2.68,you might get it to fit i had a 34 or 35 when i raced silver can, and cant remember having any problem
Many thanks guys.
I have the DAVID JUN version (new built one). Is the spurgear 0.6 or something else.
Jerzi
Old 09-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Tech Adept

The .06 are the black gears the .04 are white,you can run 64p with the .04 but the .06 wont run 48p,the .06 need Tamiya pinions,if you are going to race it let me know as i ran my 03 pro on the weekend and know how to get them going

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.