Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Old 07-23-2006, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

RICK H, have you driven the new evo5? how does it compare to the 415msx?
could i get a signed copy of this picture? see attached.
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-0006-worlds-2006.jpg  
Old 07-23-2006, 04:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I apologise if this has been asked before (and I am sure it has), but I am looking at replacing the whole suspension setup on my 415MSX to HB Pro4/Cyclone setup, because of durability and lower maintainence.

Those who have done the conversion, what parts did you need, in regards to c-hubs, uprights, arms, droop screws, axles and bearings? Part numbers if possible thanks.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by thecrow2k
Getting rather silly now

TRF415
TRF415MS
TRF415MSX
TRF415MSX MRE

I ALREADY GOT THE FIRST THREE ITEMS IT'S THE LAST ONE THAT I STILL DONT HAVE AND MY WALLET IS ALREADY HURTING
Old 07-24-2006, 07:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bigb11
RICK H, have you driven the new evo5? how does it compare to the 415msx?
could i get a signed copy of this picture? see attached.
Sorry I have not driven the EVO5 so can't make comparison. I'll sign anything!
Old 07-24-2006, 01:11 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart
The motor cooling is a big improvement. As is the steering. Although trying it back to back against the old steering is impossible using the same car. Josh Numan ran the new steering at the Reedy Race and Nats while I ran the old steering at these races and we were about the same. The new steering has much less slop than the old version. The car trims better and is easier to drive.

The drivetrain rolls much more freely with the new pulleys/belts. And the center pulley/spur gear area is simplified and easier to work with. You use spacers to position the entire assembly (and maintain a consistent position during maintenance) rather than set screws to hold individual components.

I think most will notice the drivetrain. Better roll with a better ratio imporve acceleration and top speed.

I don't want to sound harsh as I love my MSX and Tamiya in general, but what the hell are they doing with that drivetrain ? I mean come on, David and Marc kept on breaking belts at the worlds, and marc's mechanics were changing the whole drivetrain after each run.

Besides, what's that crap about the internal ratio ? They say on the web page that it was 35/15 before and now is 35/16, when the centre pulleys have always been 16T since the first 415.

Now I've been using a 18T centre pulley I had had made along with proper size belts. The drivetrain is a lot freer than what the tamiya drivetrain is, even with the 36T pulleys, and my fixed pulley and front belt have lasted 6 MONTHS (about 100/150 runs, YES) before needing any replacement. I don't understand why Tamiya keep on using small pulleys, the belts simply can't handle that much load.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know about you but I like the belt stripping power that Rick and crew provide

p.s. this place would be much more entertaining with better smilies haha
Old 07-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Tech Master

Don't get me wrong, I like the power, not the stripping...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

I go through a rear belt when running modified in about 5 runs or less. At the worlds I replaced my rear belt just before the practice started, ran 5 runs and then replaced the belt just before the qualifiers as my rear belt was starting to skip. Then in my fifth round of qualifying my rear belt broke. This is with the back indexed at 3 and the front indexed at 2.

btw - I was running the original drivetrain with the white belts. Not that I have been keeping count, but I believe the black belts last approx 50% longer.

I guess I am too hard on the throttle or somthing, because my fellow Canadian Tamiya guy Corey Whiteman does not go through belts like I do. So it may just be the way I drive. Having said that, I too believe a larger center pully would make a big difference.

Must be that orion/peak horsepower! eh Rod!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Lol Martin, I too go through belts a lot quicker than other drivers. My lead finger doesn't help either

How's your past champ coming along? Mine's still in a bag haha

btw check out these pictures from Saturday
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-cool-shade.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-hair-dryer.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-happy-guy.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-trf-toys.jpg  
Old 07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
Tech Master

Don't know about you guys...But My belts are from my old 415MS...Been 2 year...

And I run only Mod on my 415. I think important thing is belt tensioning...Thats what keeps my belt long lasting.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:16 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ben.C
Don't know about you guys...But My belts are from my old 415MS...Been 2 year...

And I run only Mod on my 415. I think important thing is belt tensioning...Thats what keeps my belt long lasting.
Well I kept the same rear belt for nearly a year too (white belt) but the front i'd go through one every 10/15 runs even with running only 19T. Funnily enough, this only happened with the locked centre pulley and front spool, with double one ways it lasts ages. BUT there's nearly no track in the country where you'd run double one ways so I had to find a solution.

415s are the only car to which this happens and the car with the smallest centre pulleys (along with the cyclone, but the cyclone has larger diff pulleys which incidentally puts less load on the belt's teeth), so I figured out that a bigger centre pulley was the trick. Now I have an internal ratio of 2 which makes it a tad difficult to gear a mod indoors, but is fine with stock/super stock indoors and anything outdoors. I believe with the modification on the way the layshaft is positioned on the cars at the worlds, this won't be an issue anymore as you can raise the layshaft, which would allow for bigger spurs to be fitted.
Old 07-25-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Regular

white springs anyone ?
Old 07-25-2006, 01:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Part of the belt/pulley issue with the MSX is actually the pulley material.

As the alloy wears, the tooth edges become sharper, which effectively "cut" into the belt, wearing it out quicker.

I never had any issues with my MSX, but no doubt that is part of the problem.

When I used to run Yokomo off-road cars, their alloy pulleys wore out very quickly - and made the belt wear out very quickly too. If you replaced the pulley with a plastic one, then all the problems disappeared.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:35 AM
Tech Master

Bender, this will happen with plastic pulleys aswell. The pulleys i'm using are aluminium too and lasted ages without cutting in the belt. Besides, you won't wear the pulley enough to cut in the belt in 5 runs, so it's only part of the problem.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:46 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bender
Part of the belt/pulley issue with the MSX is actually the pulley material.

As the alloy wears, the tooth edges become sharper, which effectively "cut" into the belt, wearing it out quicker.

I never had any issues with my MSX, but no doubt that is part of the problem.

When I used to run Yokomo off-road cars, their alloy pulleys wore out very quickly - and made the belt wear out very quickly too. If you replaced the pulley with a plastic one, then all the problems disappeared.

That explains why TRF drivers use the TA05 plastic centre pulleys to replace the centre alu 415 pulley.

Anyway....Can't wait for the MR version to replace my old MS.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.