Extra Hard-Blue

and there are a few others but they are the mains ones
Hard is Blue
Extra Hard is White
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 05:50 AM   #13247
Tech Adept

Send a message via Yahoo to csdspeed

Is the 415 original version or the MS still good to use? The brand new MSX would bust my wallet , so I'll just try to buy a used one that's still in good condition. Can anyone give suggestions on what shock oil and springs to use? Our track is small technical and cemented. Thanks.
csdspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 06:37 AM   #13248
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by csdspeed
Is the 415 original version or the MS still good to use? The brand new MSX would bust my wallet , so I'll just try to buy a used one that's still in good condition. Can anyone give suggestions on what shock oil and springs to use? Our track is small technical and cemented. Thanks.
Kamusta Kabayan!

Either one would do fine. If you're going to get the 415 version (3.0 mm lwr deck), don't run the car w/ the stiffning posts front & rear in order to give you more chassis flex for more grip. If you get the MS version, just start w/ the kit set-up & then remove the stiffning posts to see if it improves the handling of the car.

For shock oil & springs, I use personally Associated oil 40 F/R & Gold /Silver springs for F/R.

You may want to try a neutral set-up (kit settings) on the car when you first run it at your track. Then make your adjustments from there.

Hope this helps you out.
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 07:27 AM   #13249
Tech Adept

Kumusta rin! Are you staying outside the country?

Stiffening posts? What part is that? The shock towers? (sorry if i dont know ) Anyway, thanks for the info, ill take note of that. How about 30wt shock oil? would it be too soft? Can it be compensated if I use harder springs with the 30wt shock oil? Thanks!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:21 AM   #13250
Tech Addict

Quote:

Stiffening posts? What part is that? The shock towers? (sorry if i dont know ) Anyway, thanks for the info, ill take note of that. How about 30wt shock oil? would it be too soft? Can it be compensated if I use harder springs with the 30wt shock oil? Thanks!
Currently in Scottsdale Arizona USA.

The stiffening posts are the posts that are connected from the mid decks to the bottom plate to prevent side to side flex. If you're going to get the 415 (3.0mm bottom plate) you don't need to have the posts since you want more grip but if you're going to run on carpet surface you need to have a stiffer chassis due to the surface of the track has a lot of traction for the tires thus the stiffening posts.

For the shock oil, you can probably start w/ that. But need to ask, is the surface of the track smooth or a bit bumpy? Better yet ask the guys who race there on a regular basis. They should know what's suitable for the track. If you still decide to go w/ 30wt shock oil, you can probably run your springs harder & see the results of that setting. You may also want to check other racers who also run the 415 series car at your track. As I mentioned earlier, run the kit settings from the manual & then make adjustments later so you can dial in on the track layout & also be tailored to your driving style since this will be your first time to run Tamiya touring cars (correct me if I'm wrong on that assumption).

Attached are pics showing the stiffening post:
Attached Thumbnails
Tamiya TRF415-trf415.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-trf415.2.jpg   Tamiya TRF415-trf415.3.jpg  
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
Old 03-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #13251
Tech Adept

Thanks.Yup this will be the 1st time to run a tamiya TC. I currently have a tc3 but I'm annoyed with it. Always breaks. Most of the racers here use Xray's. I think they use 30wt oil. The track is not too smooth. Here's a link of out local track: http://ceburc.web1000.com/track.html hope you get the idea. Thanks again.

EDIT: by the way, I think I'll be getting a 415 (w/ some ms parts) can you suggest me what parts to have as spares for this car? I know some, but I need more basis to decide well.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 AM   #13252
Tech Addict

Quote:
Thanks.Yup this will be the 1st time to run a tamiya TC. I currently have a tc3 but I'm annoyed with it. Always breaks. Most of the racers here use Xray's. I think they use 30wt oil. The track is not too smooth. Here's a link of out local track: http://ceburc.web1000.com/track.html hope you get the idea. Thanks again.

EDIT: by the way, I think I'll be getting a 415 (w/ some ms parts) can you suggest me what parts to have as spares for this car? I know some, but I need more basis to decide well.
Would have been nice if the track had a nice layer of asphalt.

When you said you're getting the 415 w/ some MS parts, which parts from the MS are you getting with the kit and what parts do you know already you need as spares? If you can provide a list of the things you have in mind so I can add more (if needed) to your list.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:51 AM   #13253
Tech Adept

You're absolutely correct but money talks and cement track is easier to maintain and has a longer life span. .

Here are some spares I know (or I think) I should get:

-extra belt set
-front & rear susp. arms
-front susp. blocks
-shock towers (esp front)
-ball cups
-turnbuckles
-extra screws

But I'm not sure if I really need all of these. By the way, I'm going to join a national race held at our place. So, I need spares to "survive" it.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:05 AM   #13254
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Replace the aluminium turnbukles with titanium ones (the aluminium ones bend/snap), low friction belts, a few wheel hub bearings, f & r suspension arms, tamiya shock spring set, direct centre pulley, steering nuckles/blocks, castor block and maybe a few spare screws and you'll be set to race.

Charles
Old 03-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #13255
Tech Apprentice

I was wondering if you guys could give me the part #s for a couple things because, i don't have a manual and my LHS doesn't carry high end Tamiya.

I need the #s for

Low friction belts (from any car, as long as they work on the 415)
Ball cups
diff out drives
diff pully
diff rings
diff balls
the metal washers for adjusting roll center
the metal washers for adjusting wheelbase, anti squat, etc

thanks.
Sryder7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 01:50 PM   #13256
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

The best place to get those parts is speedtechrc.com. Just go to the parts section for the 415, and it will all be there. If you plan on ordering from your LHS, then just get the part numbers off of that website also,
Old 03-12-2006, 03:47 PM   #13257
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:

Personally, I wouldn't try compensating for softer oil with stiffer springs, as you are more than likely to get the damping out of sync with the spring rate. I tend to run off the principle that a stiffer spring requires stiffer oil... doesn't always work quite as easy as that (depends on track conditions) but it's good as a rule of thumb.
If you can get hold of some stiffer oil do that. As JRRobiso says, 40wt should be fine, most team drivers seem to use in that region (35-40wt) outdoors.
HiH
Ed
Old 03-12-2006, 08:45 PM   #13258
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to tamiyarcracer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sryder7
I was wondering if you guys could give me the part #s for a couple things because, i don't have a manual and my LHS doesn't carry high end Tamiya.

I need the #s for

Low friction belts (from any car, as long as they work on the 415)
Ball cups
diff out drives
diff pully
diff rings
diff balls
the metal washers for adjusting roll center
the metal washers for adjusting wheelbase, anti squat, etc

thanks.
53706 front belt
53707 rear belt
53601 low friction 5mm ball cup
51058 Diff Joint (black)
53804 Diff joint (White)
51055 ball diff pulley
51054 One way pulley
50880 diff plate (ring)
53124 carbide diff ball (10 pcs)
53379 lightweight diff balls (10pcs)
53539 5.5mm spacer set (roll center and wheelbase)
tamiyarcracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 11:44 PM   #13259
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help guys! Thanks also for the part numbers which I thought on acquiring but you gave them so no need anymore. For all your suggestions and tips, I'll take note of it. . All I need know is to choose whether to buy a new 415(w/c will bust my wallet ) or a used one.
Old 03-12-2006, 11:52 PM   #13260
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the help guys! Thanks also for the part numbers which I thought on acquiring but you gave them so no need anymore. For all your suggestions and tips, I'll take note of it. . All I need know is to choose whether to buy a new 415(w/c will bust my wallet ) or a used one.

Get a new one... A used one will need more maintenence,since its used and parts get older.So at least a new one will let you have a peace of mind that everything is new so less of part wear & tear.
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote