R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 AM   #12541
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmenkollen
I also thought that the old suspension was the way to go on carpet with rubber tires but with more extensive testing Ive managed to be 1-2 tenths faster with the new suspension. I feel there are more tuning options on the new one + its lighter. I think Rheinard have started to use the new one more often to, atleast one of his cars at the DHI cup had it on.
I know Dave Spashett used a Std MSX (with LWT) at the recent DMS 2day event over here. That was rubbers & carpet too.
I'm still working on my LWT suspension setup for carpet... I think it can be as fast if not faster than the std suspension, it just takes longer to get it dialed in

HiH
Ed
Old 01-30-2006, 09:49 AM   #12542
Tech Regular

Cheers Ed.
Did you end up going stiffer or softer yesterday?
As for me, was testing out the old battery ejection braking system. Very effective at slowing down, not to good at getting back up to speed....

Cheers
Dan Chambers

P.S. Does anyone know what lenth shafts come with the TA04 LW conversion kit? I think its 42mm, but not sure.
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:03 AM   #12543
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashmaster
Cheers Ed.
Did you end up going stiffer or softer yesterday?
As for me, was testing out the old battery ejection braking system. Very effective at slowing down, not to good at getting back up to speed....

Cheers
Dan Chambers

P.S. Does anyone know what lenth shafts come with the TA04 LW conversion kit? I think its 42mm, but not sure.
Hi Dan,
Ended up stiffer (whites all round). Car was much more behaved, changed a few other things as well, all of which seemed to improve the car during the day
I'm gonna note down my setup in a bit... won't be any use to me though, as I won't be racing at Don Valley ever again.

Ed
Old 01-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #12544
Tech Regular

Cheers Ed,
I seem to have got that angle from a few people now, hense my post on CS. Curiosity kills the cat I suppose

Dan
Crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #12545
Tech Fanatic

I have tried my MSX indoor with the old suspension, the new suspension, 3mm chassis and 2.5mm chassis, front diff, one way, spool, locked center and one way center and have concluded that i am totally lost with the setup of the car . Has anyone got another base setup for indoor on carpet with rubber tires 27t motor? Also what tires do people run? Ta
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:25 AM   #12546
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Draper
I have tried my MSX indoor with the old suspension, the new suspension, 3mm chassis and 2.5mm chassis, front diff, one way, spool, locked center and one way center and have concluded that i am totally lost with the setup of the car . Has anyone got another base setup for indoor on carpet with rubber tires 27t motor? Also what tires do people run? Ta

I know the feeling...hopefully I'll get my act together this weekend...I plan to start with Steve Sohl's (sohlman) set-up and EJ's...(see earlier posts)
Old 01-30-2006, 11:33 AM   #12547
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hi Rick i have only just really got the car but on high grip carpet i have all the shims as standard at this point, Ride honda accord (A), Xray light blue springs, AE 40wt oil, 1*camber all around, 6mm ride height, no roll bars, direct centre pulley and 1 way at the front, front shocks moved in 1 hole on the shock towers. I'm gunna try a 1mm shim under the rear front block. To me it feels safe and easy to drive with full additive on rear and half additive on the front. I also use Take-Off CS22 preglued tyres with LRP carpet additive .

Charles
Old 01-30-2006, 11:39 AM   #12548
Tech Master

Quote:
I also thought that the old suspension was the way to go on carpet with rubber tires but with more extensive testing Ive managed to be 1-2 tenths faster with the new suspension. I feel there are more tuning options on the new one + its lighter. I think Rheinard have started to use the new one more often to, atleast one of his cars at the DHI cup had it on.
on rubber on carpet the old suspsion dont seem to work that well until the grip comes up.
on low grip carpet lwt suspension better,if racing at a track more then one day then go with old and wait for the grip to come up which should be around round 3.
Futaba
Speedtechrc
trf racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 11:40 AM   #12549
Tech Addict

Quote:
On new tires and on a permanent track the new suspension should carry more cornerspeed and be faster once you get it right!!
However, it is more fragile and more sensitive to tires + it requires a different setup to different tracks/tires IMO!!
With the old suspension it's just "one" setup and it works everywhere!!
Then you can spend more time testing other stuff like motors, body shells and additive when you get to a new race.....

@Rick Draper
Can you pm me your e-mail and I will forward a really good MSX carpet setup for you

Cheers!
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 12:19 PM   #12550
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

The LWT suspension don't seem fragile to me, i've had some big crashes and the arms are fine. The only problem i have had is that the car didn't turn in well but that was due to my radio not having enough steering travel but other than that the only problem i have had is with tweak but that is easily sorted

Charles
Old 01-30-2006, 12:55 PM   #12551
Tech Addict

I have not broken any arms or hub's, but I have had some bearing issues!!
Eirik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:03 PM   #12552
Tech Regular

Yes, I have ball bearing problem. Is it because the small diameter of the ball bearing that causes it to wear out fast?
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:19 PM   #12553
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eirik
I have not broken any arms or hub's, but I have had some bearing issues!!
Eirik : I could do with that setup too, I've had some trouble recently finding a setup that'd work with tyres more than 5 runs old !
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 02:54 PM   #12554
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Yeh, post that setup Eirik! And thx everyone for the discussion on std vs LWT setups!
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2006, 04:43 PM   #12555
Tech Regular

Does anyone have a pdf of the 415 MSX user manual?

My scanner isn't really good enough to copy the whole manual.

Cheers.
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote