R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-28-2005, 02:38 PM   #11941
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser
No worries on the Saver, screws, pinion, spur or batteries. All allowable for TCS, Hop-ups, tires, springs all need to be Tamiya
I'll second that... here is a cut and paste from the USA TCS rules...

"2. Any manufacturer’s electronic speed control, radio equipment, servo saver, antenna, antenna mount, pinion and spur gears, spur gear adapter, ball bearing, tire inserts are allowed in all classes. "

For asphalt, I don't use a servo saver. But indoors I do.. I also use the Kimbrough Black Medium Saver #201. It fits Futaba/Hitec/Airtronics. I find that the Tamiya Black servo savers tend to loose centering ability which is a pain in the butt to drive. But I have heard there are some "fixes" for this. I'll just stick with Kimbrough.

Well Saturday is fast approaching (but not fast enough) hehe. I'll get my first indoor race with my MSX. I'm pretty interested in seeing what it can do...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 04:51 PM   #11942
CND
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to CND Send a message via MSN to CND

Have steel outdrives beed released yet? Im so sick of breaking mine.. Ive smashed both the Plastic and Nylon ones to bits(Just through light taps of the kerbs) and a 3wd car is really starting to shit me.
CND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:13 PM   #11943
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND
Have steel outdrives beed released yet? Im so sick of breaking mine.. Ive smashed both the Plastic and Nylon ones to bits(Just through light taps of the kerbs) and a 3wd car is really starting to shit me.
Tamiya is releasing aluminum diff joint.

What swing shaft are you using? If it's too short, the diff joint will break easier.
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:23 PM   #11944
CND
Tech Rookie

Im just using the standard blue shafts, they seem to be the right lengths as the ends are place in the middle of the outdrives. Its only the left rear i ever have a problem with, i can see why as its alot longer than the others so more stress.

Any idea on a release date? It really friggin chapps me as my mate with his FT TC4 has none of these issues with his steel outdrives.
Old 12-28-2005, 06:31 PM   #11945
Tech Elite

I don't see how you are breaking the rear outdrives???!!! I've run 7x1 on mine outdoors with no troubles at all. Are you sure nothing is binding up or anything? Just seems odd to me.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 12-28-2005, 06:44 PM   #11946
Tech Elite

Send a message via Yahoo to dodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by trf_racer
Tamiya is releasing aluminum diff joint.

What swing shaft are you using? If it's too short, the diff joint will break easier.
not too sure when will be the release date in US or other area but champ japan will sell it starting from 26th jan.

53889 TRF415 Aluminum diff outdrive set
dodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:53 PM   #11947
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND

I've have my Delrin (white) outdrives way back from my standard 415 and it migrated to the 415MS and now still using in my 415MSX conversion...And it's still going strong. Meaning,I've used that for nearly 2 yrs,and I run mod,mostly 7-9 turn range.No problems...

Did you change the standard arms to the long arms and didn't change the CV shaft to longer ones...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 06:54 PM   #11948
CND
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys ill keep my eyes open for that part.

Its not binding, i have locked my rear ball diff, i know that this is the cause problem and dont hate me for it, but i only use my 415 for drifting, so the locked rear is a big advantage. Its a real catch 22 because if i free it up, it wont drift as consistently but i wont break outdrives and if i keep it locked it drifts like a pro but the outdrives shear off..

Thanks again.

Jack
Old 12-28-2005, 06:58 PM   #11949
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND
Thanks guys ill keep my eyes open for that part.

Its not binding, i have locked my rear ball diff, i know that this is the cause problem and dont hate me for it, but i only use my 415 for drifting, so the locked rear is a big advantage. Its a real catch 22 because if i free it up, it wont drift as consistently but i wont break outdrives and if i keep it locked it drifts like a pro but the outdrives shear off..

Thanks again.

Jack

You lock your diff?? No wonder...

Its like us running a spool upfront and very prone to breakage.The outdrive of the spool breaks/spilts even maybe from the slightest knock...
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #11950
CND
Tech Rookie

Haha yeah bro, I knew the source of the problem i was just avoiding telling you guys, most of the trf racers dont take kindly to the drifters.

Thanks again, ill go get hold of these parts and see how it goes.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:04 PM   #11951
Tech Regular

This car for drifting? It's not the best choice.

Anyways, you should free the diff if you want to make the diff joint to last longer.
trf_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 07:09 PM   #11952
CND
Tech Rookie

This car for drifting is a fine choice! So light and generaly very strong plus amazing parts support means i cant go wrong. Plus its not that expensive either for a top of the line car so when i break stuff its not too heavy on the wallet.

Freeing the diff is not an option, depending on how these ally outdrives go i might just end up machining a one peice spool/outdrive kit for the rear end.
Old 12-28-2005, 07:28 PM   #11953
Tech Elite

I wonder if a steel front spool from say.. a Pro4 or Yokomo would fit in the rear of the 415? Just an option if you want to drift the car. Maybe you can try and build a "spiff" instead. Do a search on here. I'm sure there are instructions somewhere. A spiff is a locked diff with orings. So it'll give some.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 12-28-2005, 07:41 PM   #11954
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CND
This car for drifting is a fine choice! So light and generaly very strong plus amazing parts support means i cant go wrong. Plus its not that expensive either for a top of the line car so when i break stuff its not too heavy on the wallet.

Freeing the diff is not an option, depending on how these ally outdrives go i might just end up machining a one peice spool/outdrive kit for the rear end.

I think you should save up your money and just machine a rear spool. Good chioce of material would be steel,since you said your friend's Associated car's steel outdrive hold ups very well...
Old 12-28-2005, 07:43 PM   #11955
CND
Tech Rookie

Hey thanks again lads, brilliant advice on both accounts(I hadnt even considered cross pollination)