R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-07-2004, 12:47 AM   #1126
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to eeyan Send a message via Yahoo to eeyan

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
the car has a lot of rip! definitely a fast car. more testing next saturday.
I'm a witness... the car did have a lot of rip... (OR was it because everybody wanted a piece of that car that Hebiki suddenly gained extra torque to avoid "unintentional" collisions... hmmm...!!! Hahaha ). We did had fun today running the 415 against Evos, 414s and even TA04s... but honestly, all the cars were pretty much on even pace... but Hebiki's chassis just looked a lot better in the pits...
Old 03-07-2004, 01:37 AM   #1127
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Arrow 415 or evo3

handling wise which is a little better the evo3 or the 415? i'm planning to get a 415 but a friend of mine says that the evo3 is much better than the 415? is he telling the truth or what
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 01:46 AM   #1128
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

if it was better? y even release a new car?
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:10 AM   #1129
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by cHckbOY5
if it was better? y even release a new car?
Because Tamiya is a company and they need to make money. They couldn't care less if the car is better then their Evo3. As long as it sells, they like it! They know there are a lot of people out there who buy their cars even if it is a brick on wheels. I'm not saying the "415" is a brick, but if you buy this car to race you had better have waited to see what it does on the track. If you see "normal" drivers like you and me win races with it then you can believe it is a good car. Using the results of big races with drivers the likes of Baker, Surikarn and other top drivers is not a real givven cause these guys would win races with any brand of cars.

My 2 cents

Regards
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 02:18 AM   #1130
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to cHckbOY5

yea tru... but newer is usually better
cHckbOY5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:13 AM   #1131
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardriven RC
Because Tamiya is a company and they need to make money. They couldn't care less if the car is better then their Evo3. As long as it sells, they like it! They know there are a lot of people out there who buy their cars even if it is a brick on wheels. I'm not saying the "415" is a brick, but if you buy this car to race you had better have waited to see what it does on the track. If you see "normal" drivers like you and me win races with it then you can believe it is a good car. Using the results of big races with drivers the likes of Baker, Surikarn and other top drivers is not a real givven cause these guys would win races with any brand of cars.

My 2 cents

Regards
I have both EVO3 and the 415. I am about 0.3-0.5 second faster per lap with the 415 at SoCal.

Tamiya is a company and does need to make money. However, products count a lot in this business. If they releases a bad car not only that it wouldn't sell, it will hurt their reputation in the long run. Look at the Kyosho KX-1. Not very many people bought it because it wasn't a very good car, even though Kyosho makes great nitro cars and has a following just like Tamiya. So I'd say that Tamiya does care, precisely because it's a caompany and needs to make money.

Last edited by jeffreylin; 03-07-2004 at 04:21 AM.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #1132
Tech Fanatic

Well I'm glad to here the car has the goods.....
I wish our club meet had not been rained out on Saturday, or I'd have first hand knowledge myself.
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 05:12 AM   #1133
Tech Fanatic

Oh, well I must wait a little longer.....
rccarracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 06:37 AM   #1134
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffreylin
I have both EVO3 and the 415. I am about 0.3-0.5 second faster per lap with the 415 at SoCal.

Tamiya is a company and does need to make money. However, products count a lot in this business. If they releases a bad car not only that it wouldn't sell, it will hurt their reputation in the long run. Look at the Kyosho KX-1. Not very many people bought it because it wasn't a very good car, even though Kyosho makes great nitro cars and has a following just like Tamiya. So I'd say that Tamiya does care, precisely because it's a caompany and needs to make money.
So as you have both cars what is the difference at the track beside laptimes? Do you think they feel similar and the 415 just faster or does the 415 feel like a completely different car?
How is the rip out of corners in compare to the EVO3?
V12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 07:20 AM   #1135
Tech Fanatic

I ran my 415 last night and it was very very good. Ran it in 27 turn and it was efficient and pulled like hell down the straight and out of the turns. On only my 2nd run of it i was running the lap times of the top few in stock, just had a bit of a setup issue and it was hooking oneway making it a right bitch to drive. Going to have a look at it as i am not sure why it was doing it but it was very fast!

One problem i did hav was i managed to pop off one of the inner camber link ball joints on the front, i think i am going to try and mount them on rose joints like the evo 3 s inner pickups. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:21 AM   #1136
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by Hebiki
hey guys.. ran the 415 today at the test facility at Tamiya USA.

ran it with a 19T. the car ran great. i used the stock set up, although it needs a bit of tweaking to get the car dialed, it was a good starting point. the car was set up good enough to enable me to run 6-7 batteries. it was a lot of fun.

the car has a lot of rip! definitely a fast car. more testing next saturday.
Hebiki,

Thanks for letting me drive the car yesterday...really sorry about hitting that 1/8th gas car head on at full speed. It is a good thing they had a fire extinguisher on-site to help put that fire out...I'm sure that racers dog will be ok in a few months...

With the stock set-up the chassis was very easy to drive with loads of rear grip. Certainly looks like a good car so far! Find a bit more steering and your good to go!

Still enjoy how smooth the Tamiya belt drive chassis's feels comes off the corner. I'll be interested to see if the 415 is as quick off the corner as the EVO when running stock motors...regardless, I'll be racing a 415 in TCS GT1

Thanks,

John
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:27 AM   #1137
Tech Regular

Question for all the guys who already drove the "415".

Please post the tires you used during your test as this is extremely important to put the handling in perspective. Everyone knows there is a huge difference between say a PitShimizu or a Tamiya a-type.

Thanks
Hardriven RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:29 AM   #1138
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to madjack

Quote:
Originally posted by Hardriven RC
Question for all the guys who already drove the "415".

Please post the tires you used during your test as this is extremely important to put the handling in perspective. Everyone knows there is a huge difference between say a PitShimizu or a Tamiya a-type.

Thanks
I believe they were using CS 27's
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 10:48 AM   #1139
T-man

Okay Okay just a proud owner with some work in progress

Old 03-07-2004, 11:42 AM   #1140
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
So as you have both cars what is the difference at the track beside laptimes? Do you think they feel similar and the 415 just faster or does the 415 feel like a completely different car?
How is the rip out of corners in compare to the EVO3?
As the two shares similar suspension geometry, I used a nearly idential setup for both cars. The only differernces are 415 came with 2 hole shock pistons instead of 3 with the Evo3 and 415 had raised roll certer in the back with no kick up in front.

With other setups being the same, the 415 has more steering but the back end is also a little lose. But that was a plus for a track like SoCal (very technical with lots of tight turns) To me, the biggest difference is that turning is now smoother without the edgy feeling when applying throttle during a turn.

There is one more thing to consider. The 415 is about 40g lighter than the surikarn Evo3. That might be why it was a little faster.

I think both cars are very very good. The belt car is a little easier to drive and allows more consistancy. But if the surikarn were a little lighter and in the hand of a good driver, it might even be faster than the 415.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote