R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-20-2005, 05:49 PM   #9196
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmaniax
simon, grease the spool well!! i will just try the "spin grease" this weekend with our spool (thanks eirik!)... hope the blades will last longer.

by the way, we just made a new carbon part...

Looks good, a fix to about the only limited adjustment on the car. Now if only it was made of alloy so it can be more easily used (No screws from underneath)
Old 06-20-2005, 06:59 PM   #9197
Tech Addict

Anyone has a good setup for 415MS on outdoor asphalt?
GT Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #9198
Tech Champion

Any more update on the availability and performance of the DJ Pro Module suspension? Dave was very helpful initially but has been absent for quite a while.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:43 PM   #9199
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

I hope Tamiya posts more setups for the 415 soon. Marc and Dave have been doing great with the 415 but would like to see alot more setups. If nothing else it would help to see what I have vs what others are running.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 08:16 PM   #9200
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Besercoe
Looks good, a fix to about the only limited adjustment on the car. Now if only it was made of alloy so it can be more easily used (No screws from underneath)
You just want it aluminium for the extra bling
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #9201
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to odawg315

well, just made the jump, bought a spanking new 415ms of ebay, so ill be buggin you guys for setups soon, may even take my dj of my 414 for the 415!
odawg315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #9202
Tech Champion

Calling all the setup gurus, i have 2 415 MS kits, my old car has had a lot of changes to the setup, while the new car is pretty much kit std. I am pretty new to rubber tire racing, most is done on foams around here. Track is med sized, a mix of high speed and technical corners.

The problem i am having with both cars is chronic understeer or mid corner snap oversteer, i cant seem to find a good balance. While both cars with dramatically different setups pull about the same lap times.

Starting with the MS kit setup, where would you go to get more mid corner steering?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:54 PM   #9203
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to F. Alonso Send a message via Yahoo to F. Alonso

Bradd, have you been to TryHard's website and downloaded the XXX Main Chassis Setup Crib Guide?? I've found that to be quite good as it can show you options to change for corner entry, mid corner and corner exit.

I too have found that the car has had chronic understeer, mainly turn-in, which I am still trying to dial out. Perhaps sweeping the arms at the front will give you some more mid corner steering. I built my car last night with XB A on the car to sweep it a little bit.

XRAY | HPI | Hotbodies | Hobbies Australia | LRP Electronics | Futaba
F. Alonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:47 PM   #9204
Tech Master

Quote:
Calling all the setup gurus, i have 2 415 MS kits, my old car has had a lot of changes to the setup, while the new car is pretty much kit std. I am pretty new to rubber tire racing, most is done on foams around here. Track is med sized, a mix of high speed and technical corners.

The problem i am having with both cars is chronic understeer or mid corner snap oversteer, i cant seem to find a good balance. While both cars with dramatically different setups pull about the same lap times.

Starting with the MS kit setup, where would you go to get more mid corner steering?
I had snap oversteer on my car. I tried things like adjusting the shock position and toe in, but one thing gave me results I wanted - putting spacers under the rear toe block on the rear suspension (anti dive? I can't remember). That killed the snap oversteer. In regards to understeer, well, that is something I live with. And since getting a digital servo it has made it a little worse, so I'll play with the front end and see if I can dial it out.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:58 PM   #9205
Tech Elite

Yeh, that's removing the Anti-squat that you had on your car. Seemed to really make the car handle nicely. It's funny how Bradd and I have been having understeer issues where you have had oversteer issues. Hmmmmmmm.... maybe I should check out the settings that you have.

Having said that, I'm going to be using the spool up at Winterchamps so I will be trying some more setup changes to get the car moving nicely. I'm trying a setup that I've never used before.... from Eirik, so we'll see how that goes around Fairy Meadow.

Old 06-21-2005, 08:17 PM   #9206
Tech Champion

Simon

I read Burlaps reply as in he added antisquat, ie added a spacer to the FR block, i find this makes the rear end float a bit, and allows the rear end to be more progressive, rather than having bite, and then snap.

A major change i have found is that laying down the rear shocks dramatically increases the amount of steering mid corner and exit, but using a mazda body it makes it too twitchy, with a Protoblob 3 the car felt just a bit to neutral, i am getting a Type E and an Accord today, i will give them a try on Friday. (Thats if the weather holds out for the big race)
Old 06-21-2005, 08:23 PM   #9207
Tech Rookie

Smile trf 415 front diff conversion

hi guys ive just bought a tr415 and i am wanting to convert from front one way to ball diff, ive ordered the yokomo parts on tamiya site, could someone plz direct me to the information for what i need to build and install this diff as im unsure of what tamiya parts are needed, thanks idar66
idar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 08:27 PM   #9208
Tech Elite

Quote:
Simon

I read Burlaps reply as in he added antisquat, ie added a spacer to the FR block, i find this makes the rear end float a bit, and allows the rear end to be more progressive, rather than having bite, and then snap.
No, the he was adding spacers to the RR block to level out the hingepin angle and perhaps even do the reverse effect of anti-squat. I suggested him to do it and it worked nicely.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:14 PM   #9209
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
It's funny how Bradd and I have been having understeer issues where you have had oversteer issues. Hmmmmmmm.... maybe I should check out the settings that you have.
when I first ran My 415MS it also had really bad turn in problems, also loose on exit, I ran the setup you gave me that you ran at Boronia found that moving the rear top link out to position C and adding and extra 2mm spacer(total of 4mm) under the front top link, gave the car a lot more turn in and remained pretty stable then I removed the 2mm rear top link outer spacer, replaced it with a 1mm spacer and removed the inner 1mm spacer, played with shock positions , found hole #2 worked well on the front, #4 seemed really good on the rear.

"He who dies with the most toys wins" - Phil Harris
Jack2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:02 PM   #9210
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by F. Alonso
Yeh, that's removing the Anti-squat that you had on your car. Seemed to really make the car handle nicely. It's funny how Bradd and I have been having understeer issues where you have had oversteer issues.
Well, it is planted on the rear now, it's just the case now moving from an analogue steering servo to digital has made it a little more understeery. However it was hard to test it last week at Boronia during the races due to that evil "R" stuff coming from the sky.