R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2005, 03:29 PM   #9136
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
With the std MS the bulkheads are only joined together by graphite. Atleast this way you have locking Aluminium pieces and shock towers to hold everything tight. Plus now the flex of the top deck is equal on both sides due to the extended bulkhead on the battery side. In normal racing i cannot see a problem with tweak, but i can also appreciate that i a major whoooopsy finding the bent part might be difficult.
now explain me friend, what is the difference between having the parts being aluminium and graphite ? I see none, both can move about a screw even if tight. The shock towers are on separate parts that can move about on a crash. The bulkheads have many reinforcement parts that can move about on a crash. As I said, more parts equals more problems that can arise. Only solution would be to have all the parts keyed properly, but i can't see that happening, it would be way to costly and would need very high tolerances.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #9137
JP
Tech Initiate

Graphite can flex more than aluminium. The tolerances of the aluminium pieces can be alot tighter and so give a much better build. The bottom part of the bulheads are still one piece and should supply an adequate platform. Changing diffs and maintenance will be soooo much easier.
JP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 03:53 PM   #9138
Tech Addict

Send a message via MSN to Scho

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRF415boy
Spot on

Basically, the more parts in the strut's assembly, the more chances of the pieces moving one relatively to the other during a crash.
Its common sense
Scho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:00 PM   #9139
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Graphite can flex more than aluminium. The tolerances of the aluminium pieces can be alot tighter and so give a much better build. The bottom part of the bulheads are still one piece and should supply an adequate platform. Changing diffs and maintenance will be soooo much easier.
I don't agree. Graphite is more flexible only in one direction, in the other two, the ones that counts, it's much stiffer. And it won't bend. Tolerances of graphite parts can be as tight as for aluminium parts, it don't matter because, when it comes to drilling a hole for an M3 screw, the same tool will be used, and it will have some play in both cases.

I'm not having issues with the access on the car. I can change the front one way to a spool in 5 minutes. I never do that in a race, I can probably do that in practice, and 5 minutes is much more time than the time between two packs during practice for an important race. If it's not an important race i'll be using the spool anyway, hassle free. As for the rear diff, it takes me 2 minutes to access it and put it back in place. Once again, I never touch it during a race. If I have to do so, it means i wasn't well enough prepared for the race, but that's hardly ever the case, or necessary.
Old 06-09-2005, 04:13 PM   #9140
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

TRF415Boy,
What about the mid decks then? Aren't they eliminated on the MSX? You are just as likely to have tweak there aren't you? A little slip here or there with the mid decks during a race will wreak havoc on your tweak, camber & droop. No mid decks equals about the same parts count as before also. So... in this case it's a give or take I believe.

2 minutes to change the rear diff? Don't you reset the droop, camber and tweak after you reassemble? Trust me- the numbers aren't the same after you reassemble

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...

Last edited by MikeR; 06-09-2005 at 04:38 PM.
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 04:58 PM   #9141
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeR
TRF415Boy,
What about the mid decks then? Aren't they eliminated on the MSX? You are just as likely to have tweak there aren't you? A little slip here or there with the mid decks during a race will wreak havoc on your tweak, camber & droop. No mid decks equals about the same parts count as before also. So... in this case it's a give or take I believe.

2 minutes to change the rear diff? Don't you reset the droop, camber and tweak after you reassemble? Trust me- the numbers aren't the same after you reassemble
Nope, not if you're using the stifening posts. As a mattrer of fact, they eliminate most of the risks of tweak by moving most of the shock of a crash directly to the chassis without passing by the structure.

Re-set droop camber and tweak ? Not at all, I take very good care when assembling my chassis and it's always the same, it's a matter of common sense to put the parts back in the same position. But then again, if you're having to do that on the normal 415, the MSX will be even worse.

By the way, I don't use tweak boards, they're useless IMO. If your 415 is built properly, you don't need it. I always use the same preload on the L/R shocks and every time i put the car on a tweak station, it showed spot on
Old 06-09-2005, 10:42 PM   #9142
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

anyone think the mid-deck setup has very tight tolerances? uh, not quite. i dont believe that the new design would be any more likely to hold a tweak.

i remember building my first 415 (still have it!), thinking... these parts will all move against themselves in a hard crash.

either way, looks like a very nice layout...i especially like how low the topdeck sits.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 AM   #9143
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

can someone tell me what is the weight of the oil is in the standard set up of the 415????
as i have lost instructions
grahame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 03:40 AM   #9144
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahame
can someone tell me what is the weight of the oil is in the standard set up of the 415????
as i have lost instructions
for the shocks sorry
Old 06-12-2005, 03:55 AM   #9145
Tech Regular

It's the yellow oil which I believe is #300 - can someone confirm this?
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 AM   #9146
V12
Tech Elite

Its #400 - yellow
Old 06-12-2005, 05:03 AM   #9147
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12
Its #400 - yellow
is that like 40weight
Old 06-12-2005, 06:19 AM   #9148
Tech Adept

yep
pookat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 08:28 AM   #9149
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahame
is that like 40weight
#400 Yellow is more like 30wt.
jeffreylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:25 PM   #9150
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bad Boys Racing

hey, how should i file the batt holders down on my car or is it optional, i just have a funny feeling i would wreck the chassis if i tried?
Bad Boys Racing is offline   Reply With Quote