R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 04-13-2005, 04:40 PM   #8236
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The E block, as far as i know, is one of the evo4 blocks, so slightly different to the 415 ones (1mm higher i think).

But apart from that SCML is correct.
From narrowest to widest it goes:

X , A , B , C , D

With a difference of 0.5 of a deg between each one.
With regard to widest/narrowest:

X/A and C/D will produce the same angle (0.5deg), however the X/A will result in the car being narrower, as the hinge pins are closer to the centreline.
This i find makes the car more responsive, but really should only be used on high grip tracks, it makes the car very nervous to drive otherwise.

And with regard to the X-series blocks, they go (narrowest to widest).

XD , XC , XB , XA

still with the 0.5deg step (there is also the same step between the XA and X)
Also all the blocks (including the X-series ones) can be brought seperatly now.

There is a useful chart on my site, in the sig.

HiH
Ed
Old 04-13-2005, 05:05 PM   #8237
Tech Adept

Quote:
The E block, as far as i know, is one of the evo4 blocks, so slightly different to the 415 ones (1mm higher i think).
My E block came with the 415MS, so it might be an EVO IV block. I haven't checked it against the others to see if it's any different. Tamiya doesn't even list it in the 415MS kit, maybe I got a special kit! I wonder if that means I'm the 1,000,000th customer or something.

Thanks,

Mike
SCML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:46 PM   #8238
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thanks guys
good luck with the racing
cheers
John
yoke2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #8239
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Woops! I picked up a spool a few weeks ago thinking that there may be a shortage for the upcoming Reedy Race. Now there's another version? Doh
give me a call tomorrow rtypec

Steve Wang
Old 04-14-2005, 02:53 AM   #8240
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SCML
My E block came with the 415MS, so it might be an EVO IV block. I haven't checked it against the others to see if it's any different. Tamiya doesn't even list it in the 415MS kit, maybe I got a special kit! I wonder if that means I'm the 1,000,000th customer or something.

Thanks,

Mike
lucky guy
Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #8241
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Questions for all the TRF 415ms owners

1. Running modified what should the the final drive ratio be?

2. Please specify gearing, for Stock, 19T?

4. What are the advantages of a spool, versus a oneway?

5. looking at the center differential, Is the Locked center gear better, than the oneway center. I do understand you have to run the locked center if your running a diff or spool?

5. Is this true statement: the higher the spur the more torque out of the corner and less straightaway speed?

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out with this, I love the car but i'm dealing with a slight push entering the corners. Thanks
m8commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:33 PM   #8242
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by m8commando

5. looking at the center differential, Is the Locked center gear better, than the oneway center. I do understand you have to run the locked center if your running a diff or spool?

5. Is this true statement: the higher the spur the more torque out of the corner and less straightaway speed?

I would really appreciate if you guys could help me out with this, I love the car but i'm dealing with a slight push entering the corners. Thanks
Hi

1 : the same as with your previous car... The ratio doesn't depends on the car but only on the track/winding/motor/batt/driving style.

2 : same answer, there are too many parameters to state...

3 : a spool allows you to be more agressive, meaning close racing (bumper to bumper) is easier to achieve, and overtaking in braking sections becomes possible

4 : there's no point in using the locked centre gear if you're running a one way. The only advantage i can see is that you don't have the risk of the one way bearing breaking, so only reliability could be improved (but it's not an issue as far as I know the one way pulley is just fine).

5 : it's true only if you keep the same pinion. using a bigger spur has the same effect as using a smaller pinion, only the difference in final ratio is much less if you use a spur with one more tooth than a pinion with one less tooth. If your statement implies using the same overall ratio, it's totally wrong, there is no difference in torque because the torque is only determined by the ratio itself.

For the push entering the corners, i recommend you try using in board toe out on the front (using either D or C block and A bridge)?
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:40 PM   #8243
Tech Fanatic

Thank you very much for you time & Information. I appreciate it. Go Tamiya!
Old 04-14-2005, 03:10 PM   #8244
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:

1. dont know. dont run mod.

2. Depends on what motor you are running and type of track. 7.5 is a safe place to start. Gear up/down according to lap times for the specific track you are running on.

3. In short, a spool will let you drive the car harder going in to a turn, but will reduce steering and scrub off a little speed in the turn. And it will give you more stability when braking than a oneway.

A one way will have more steering and will allow more speed to be carried thru the turns, but will give you less stability when braking than a spool.

4. I run a locked center with a diff or spool, and a center oneway with a front oneway. What's better, I usually let track conditions and lap times dictate what works best.
5. short answer, yes.

concerning corner entry push, I don't know your set up so I will give you general suggestions:

1. If you have no push mid or exit turn, try moving the front shocks one hole out on the shock tower.

2. go softer on front springs.

3. go to a softer front sway bar.

4. go lighter on front shock oil.

5. lower your front roll center.

Hope this helps.

cheerz

Last edited by Obsidian; 04-14-2005 at 03:47 PM.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:18 PM   #8245
Tech Fanatic

Wow thanks for the support. My setup is as follows:

Box Stock setup except

40wt F/R w/3 hole piston
yellow Springs F/R
Fr Shocks upper #3 hole lower #3
R Shocks upper #5 hole lower #1
Stabilizers Small/Red
Rear turnbuckles: 2mm upper arm spacer on chassis/ C hole on aluminum zero degree hubs.

I am trying to find the best setup I can for Socal. I have only had the kit for about a 2 months, this is my 1st Tamiya kit, and I love it. I was at first really overwhelmed with all the adjustments and the XC,and XA stuff! well you know what I mean! I can say, for the first time in my R/C adventures this has to be one the best cars I have ever owned. And I look forward to going to the track now. Thanks for your time. Go Tamiya
Old 04-14-2005, 05:28 PM   #8246
Tech Initiate

you can also go to tryhards websight, just click on the link for his signature and download randy casters 415 set up for socal!
SCOTT HOWARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM   #8247
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by SCOTT HOWARD
you can also go to tryhards websight, just click on the link for his signature and download randy casters 415 set up for socal!
excellent suggestion.
Obsidian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 05:55 PM   #8248
Tech Fanatic

Thanks! One question I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but who is Randy Castor?

That is a really nice support page Tryhard. Excellent work. That is one thing you really dont see that much is a support page with alot of useful information, well besides R/C Tech. The way things are getting in this hobby I think every pro level car should have a support page. Thanks fellas.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:33 PM   #8249
Tech Initiate

hi guys,

Is there a way to lock the oneway center pulley, or should I by a locked center pulley ? If I should buy, where can I find it ???
neosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 PM   #8250
Tech Adept

Quote:
Thanks! One question I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but who is Randy Castor?
The RC Tech Post King!

He is a local racer here in So Cal, very quick, and puts together a nice car. He isn't running a 415 any longer though.

Mike
SCML is offline   Reply With Quote