R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #7681
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
The big thing that i have found is that the batteries do not always lay flat on the chassis. Using discharge tray's and handling them can cause them to "warp" or no longer be flat (lay your packs on a table and look at them..you may ber suprised).

This is only caused by the fact that we're using tape, so nothing prevents the cells in the centre from going upwards when you crash (normally there is the bar over the cells to keep the pack flat against the chassis).

I'm going to use a battery bar soon, as I find tape too much of a mess, and the weight is not a good enough argument for me, especially considering that the car is light enough.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:28 PM   #7682
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF415boy
This is only caused by the fact that we're using tape, so nothing prevents the cells in the centre from going upwards when you crash (normally there is the bar over the cells to keep the pack flat against the chassis).

I'm going to use a battery bar soon, as I find tape too much of a mess, and the weight is not a good enough argument for me, especially considering that the car is light enough.
Ummm...not exactly 100% true in all cases. I am not saying that my answer is the only one either. Read what i write and try it out for yourself. If you try it, you will not need a battery brace. When i first started using strapping tape i hate more than anyone, now i like it and have no problem with it. But tape is not for everyone.

The tape prevents the cells from moving up in a crash. Strapping tape does not give or strech so the only way the batteries can move or be ejected from the chassis is: 1) if the tape breaks, 2) the tape unstickes itself from the battery or 3) the cells are not tapped down correcty causing play or allowing movement between the battery, the chassis and the tape. This play will allow the cells to move in the chassis even when you think they are taped tight. If the cells are not allowed to move in the chassis, then they will not bend upward or fly from the chassis no matter how hard the crash (unless of course the tape breaks).

Lay your cells on a table and see if all the cells touch the table or are laying flat. most likely they are not. now put your cells in a chassis and see they do not all lay flat. They do not all rest perfectly in each slot and could be off center. Most people tape their batteries in this way. Even in huge crashes, my batteries no longer move.

Try taking an extra 30 seconds to tape the batteries in and you will not have a problem.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:29 PM   #7683
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TRF415boy

Exactly the same as I think. I canīt understand the discussion why a battery bar shouldnīt be used.

There is proven fact you can win races with tape or battery bar.
You will have chassis tweak in a hard crash with both of them.
The 415 is way underweight. So you can counterbalance if ever needed.
A Xray brace as used by me looks not bad. So why should I mess around with the tape?
Old 03-06-2005, 02:56 PM   #7684
Tech Master

Quote:
Ummm...not exactly 100% true in all cases. I am not saying that my answer is the only one either. Read what i write and try it out for yourself. If you try it, you will not need a battery brace. When i first started using strapping tape i hate more than anyone, now i like it and have no problem with it. But tape is not for everyone.

The tape prevents the cells from moving up in a crash. Strapping tape does not give or strech so the only way the batteries can move or be ejected from the chassis is: 1) if the tape breaks, 2) the tape unstickes itself from the battery or 3) the cells are not tapped down correcty causing play or allowing movement between the battery, the chassis and the tape. This play will allow the cells to move in the chassis even when you think they are taped tight. If the cells are not allowed to move in the chassis, then they will not bend upward or fly from the chassis no matter how hard the crash (unless of course the tape breaks).

Lay your cells on a table and see if all the cells touch the table or are laying flat. most likely they are not. now put your cells in a chassis and see they do not all lay flat. They do not all rest perfectly in each slot and could be off center. Most people tape their batteries in this way. Even in huge crashes, my batteries no longer move.

Try taking an extra 30 seconds to tape the batteries in and you will not have a problem.
I think you misunderstood me. I don't loose my cells, they stay in the slots. However, after a few runs, the packs are no longer flat, but more like a banana, even though they were perfectly flat when I built them. This is only because tape does not provide any proper maintaining of the cells apart from the two cells at each end (tape coming across the whole pack does not provide any support to the middle cells, it only prevents it from coming loose). I sometimes put a strap of tape coming from under the chassis to one of the cells in the centre (over the side), especially when I have time and need not be bothered by a pack coming out inc ase of crash.

But, as V12 pointed out, I don't think tape gives me any advantage, if any, I find it a disadvantage.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 02:58 PM   #7685
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:

But exactly this may be a problem sometimes. We donīt have very big races only so time between heats are short sometimes. During my very first race with the 415 the frontbelt broke. Everybody knows you wonīt fix this in a minute. I was ready with the repair maybe half a minute before the next heat. Using tape I havenīt been at the track in time. Using the Xray brace your battery is in in 5 seconds. So thatīs enough reason for me.

I think the main reason for this discussion is the fact most of the factory guys are using tape. So maybe a lot of the other drivers think this is the only way to go. If anyone is happy with the tape itīs OK for me but I never found any reason doing this myself.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:25 PM   #7686
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with V12, my car is something like 60 grams underweight with the xray brace installed, and even with the brace i need to add weight to the battery side to achieve L to R balance. The only advantage the tape guys can come up with is that its lighter, if you need to add weight anyway then what is the advantage?

These machines are purebred race vehicles employing state of the art materials such as graphite, titanium and specific alloys, why do we then downgrade them by relying on common grage packing tape?
Old 03-06-2005, 03:42 PM   #7687
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by V12
A Xray brace as used by me looks not bad.
As good as my blue tape?
Old 03-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #7688
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Besercoe
These machines are purebred race vehicles employing state of the art materials such as graphite, titanium and specific alloys, why do we then downgrade them by relying on common grage packing tape?
True very True..... but it have to use a Band Aid to hold my batteries in I will .... besides this car mostly need weight on the motor side.... I used the X-ray one at 1st but it tended to tweek the chassis over time ...

Just my 2 Yen
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 04:38 PM   #7689
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by JDM_DOHC_SiR
True very True..... but it have to use a Band Aid to hold my batteries in I will .... besides this car mostly need weight on the motor side.... I used the X-ray one at 1st but it tended to tweek the chassis over time ...

Just my 2 Yen
-Dave
I took apart the knurled end of the strap, and elongated the hole that the knurled part sits in, now the strap can move a bit and does not have any chance of tweaking the chassis, as the brace has give in it now.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #7690
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

the Corally RDX strap will fit as well, and those that are worried about weight might notice its a lighter setup. i think the CF is thinner... a friend here has installed one on his, and has worked well so far.

you do have to elongate the holes on the strap, as it is a bit longer than the slots in the 415 chassis.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 09:56 PM   #7691
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally posted by Turbonium
the Corally RDX strap will fit as well, and those that are worried about weight might notice its a lighter setup. i think the CF is thinner... a friend here has installed one on his, and has worked well so far.

you do have to elongate the holes on the strap, as it is a bit longer than the slots in the 415 chassis.
why would you want to sour the quality of a TRF with a ass car part?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #7692
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

ass car part? thanks....

it is a very nice looking piece, and there is no way to tell who makes it, unless someone already knows, unlike the X-ray piece everyone likes so well...

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 AM   #7693
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
front belt

guys, how do you tighten the front belt? mine is a little loose although i already have the optional belt tensioner
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 04:57 AM   #7694
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Tommy Bergfeldt

Hmm, rotate the bearing holders in the bulkhead?

I ran my first race with the 415 this weekend and it's insane, managed to end up in 5th position in A-main modified from a 7th starting pos. Joel Myrberg where 6th after some problems, Jonas Andersson in 4th and Viktor Wilck 2nd, 1st and 3rd was more of some kind of locals :P Magnus Vassmar in first and Alexander Hagberg in 3rd.. I'm quite happy with my results, just after 10 packs through the car i'll see if i can post my setup later..

Another thing i thought of when buying some stuff from Rainbow Ten, which parts seem to break more often in a crash? I have one extra set of A-arms so those should be ok.
Tommy Bergfeldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #7695
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default .

Hey guys check my for sale post.
Team and Sales Manager for USRC Imports, home of Sworkz! Looking for drivers for 2017-2018, KingMax Servos www.kingmaxhobby.com Gens Ace www.gensace.com, MIP www.miponline.com,Schelle , WWW. Schelleracing.com, Slavich Designs, GARCIA GRAPHIX

CHECK OUT GARCIA GRAPHIX ON FACEBOOK -LOOKING FOR 2017 TEAM DRIVER'S!
Raul Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote