R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-04-2005, 08:25 AM   #7651
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeR
That's a great tip. You should send that one to the car mags.
Here's an even better tip, don't throw away your plastic trees and scrap sprue until your absolutely certain that something you need isn't attached to it.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 08:31 AM   #7652
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Here's an even better tip, don't throw away your plastic trees and scrap sprue until your absolutely certain that something you need isn't attached to it.
I am anal when it comes to that. I don't throw away anything. I even keep the plastic bags that the parts were packaged in!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:50 AM   #7653
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just got the Novak brushless SS5800 installed on my 415. The ESC is huge, force me to put the RX on top of steering servo (still possible to put on chassis, but I don't like over-crowded wiring..). Hope the weather can cleanup so I can have a test with new toy...

I'm very done on brush motor, hate all those maintance...
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #7654
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Forgot the photo..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trf415_ss5800(small).jpg (109.3 KB, 242 views)
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 11:04 AM   #7655
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to croy
Default Jurgen Spools

I received my spool yesterday. (Thanks Randy for setting this up). What size screw is used to attach the gear to the spool.
croy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:03 PM   #7656
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tminus3 Send a message via Yahoo to tminus3
Default soft setup?

Guys I noticed that compared to my XXX-S the TRF415s carpet setup is soft. I know that you really cannot compare the setups, because we are talking apples and oranges, but does the TRF415 in general prefer a softer setup?
tminus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #7657
Tech Master

Default Re: soft setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by tminus3
Guys I noticed that compared to my XXX-S the TRF415s carpet setup is soft. I know that you really cannot compare the setups, because we are talking apples and oranges, but does the TRF415 in general prefer a softer setup?
I only run on carpet but yes, i have found the setup with my standard 415 is much softer than what I have run in the past with other touring cars.
Old 03-04-2005, 12:53 PM   #7658
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec

.... some days you are the grasshoppa and some you are the masta.

A picture with your post, when trouble shooting, will probably get more rctech help than without...
MikeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 01:11 PM   #7659
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: soft setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
I only run on carpet but yes, i have found the setup with my standard 415 is much softer than what I have run in the past with other touring cars.
Man, doesn't the car sway a lot going to such soft setup? I mean the stiffest Tamiya springs I have is way soft comparet to my XRAY asphalt springs! I ran white and blue and noticed the car swayed quited a bit. It doesn't have that good transition.

Dom
Old 03-04-2005, 01:45 PM   #7660
Tech Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Blue Sky
Default Slop @ rear upright

Hi all,

First of all thank you for those who gave me advice on the Tamiya springs.

I ran my 415MS for the first time last Sat on asphalt and it was sweet. It was very easy to drive, smooth, and has good speed. It was stock set up.

One question I have about the amount of play in the rear upright which is between the upright and bearing. There was so much play that I notice that the rear toe angle can vary quite a bit. Is there any trick to take out this play? I don't want to go to aluminum uprights yet. Thanks in advance.

Ron
Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #7661
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: soft setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by litespeed-dom
Man, doesn't the car sway a lot going to such soft setup? I mean the stiffest Tamiya springs I have is way soft comparet to my XRAY asphalt springs! I ran white and blue and noticed the car swayed quited a bit. It doesn't have that good transition.

Dom
As I said, I run on carpet. But I am sure that if I don't notice sway on carpet, I really doubt I would notice it on asphalt. More than likely, someting else if wrong with your set-up and your suspension settings may not be the problem.
But then again, running on asphalt, you may need a stiffer setup. I never raced on asphalt so i cannot comment.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:19 PM   #7662
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: soft setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
As I said, I run on carpet. But I am sure that if I don't notice sway on carpet, I really doubt I would notice it on asphalt. More than likely, someting else if wrong with your set-up and your suspension settings may not be the problem.
But then again, running on asphalt, you may need a stiffer setup. I never raced on asphalt so i cannot comment.
My comment about it is specifically for carpet too. I've not ran asphalt with my car yet.

Dom
Old 03-04-2005, 02:35 PM   #7663
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to tminus3 Send a message via Yahoo to tminus3

Well the reason I asked the question is because my XXX-S had really heavy springs on it to get it to handle well on carpet. I'm talking 44 lb in front and 40 lb in rear!!! Tamiya doesn't even come close with its spring rates, so that made me wonder whether they ever expected this car to run carpet.

Having said that, I have run the car a dozen times on carpet and have tried both the heaviest associated springs and also the heaviest tamiya springs. With the tamiya springs, the car handled so much better than with the assoc springs, leading me to believe that the car prefers a softer setup. That is where all this is coming from.

As for asphalt, you almost always want to run pretty soft expecially on dusty asphalt where you can gain more traction from some of that body lean and roll. Not only will you push with a stiff setup on asphalt, but when the traction breaks, you will go into a unpredictable spin!

I think the key to a good carpet setup on the TRF is getting the combination of oil wt and spring rate to be just right. To me they go hand in hand and I think with these soft springs that Tamiya offers, I am going to start experimenting with some heavier wt oils to see if that will make a difference. My next setup I'm going to try at the track is White(fr)/Blue(rr) springs and 60 wt oil all around. Lets see what that does.
tminus3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #7664
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: soft setup?

Quote:
Originally posted by litespeed-dom
My comment about it is specifically for carpet too. I've not ran asphalt with my car yet.

Dom
Well keep in mind, that what I call soft may still be heavy to some. I have posted my setup here several times...do a search for my name (I don't have it on this computer or I would have posted it again). My settings may be harder than you may think, but they are soft compared to what I normally run.

But I have noticed that the stiffer you set the chassis on this car the softer it likes the suspension (I run 2 top decks and all support posts). It likes to lean in the corners but I have never had it sway or be uncontrollable. If it is leaning into the corners too much, you can play with the sway bars. Mess with the droop settings too...this car reacts really well to weight transfer changes.
Old 03-04-2005, 03:05 PM   #7665
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hey Ron,

I bet you could try some axle shims....... I'm not sure of the part number. I just found them int he big plastic bag of stuff when I got mine. Maybe Kevin or Dan knows what they are. Glad you liked the car!

-Korey