Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-23-2005, 09:35 AM   #7441
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Blue Sky
Default Springs

Quote:
Originally posted by TryHard
Just out of interest have you ever actually tried a spool?

I'm in agreement with TRF415boy here, if your having trouble with the turn-in of the spool try these things.
1) softer srpings on the front (with the 1 way I run White/Blue F/R, with the spool I use Blue/Blue)
2) Move the shocks in one hole on the front shock tower (1-way, i use postion 4, spool I use position 3)
3) try using less anti-dive on the front (remove any shims from underneath the front suspension blocks). You can even try a bit of pro dive, by placing shims underneath the front bridge block. This also reduces the castor angle.
4) Try running inboard toe-out on the front, ie running the C/A or D/A combination of front blocks (you'll need the front A-bridge for this).

Hope it helps
Ed
Hi Ed,

I just joined the 415 club and wondering what additional springs to get. There are different springs from Tamiya (short, GP, on road) and I'm a bit confused. I have the MS which comes with yellow springs. Thanks for your help.

Ron
Blue Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:42 AM   #7442
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by newbee_racer
You're probably right. I'm going by what someone told me to do. You've got a lot of experience over me. Hey are those your sponsors listed below and how difficult is it to get sponsored. I want to go all out and do my best to be sponsored.
I've been racing for about 9 years now, and luckily I live in SoCal so I get to practice with the worlds best drivers every week. It isnt easy to get sponsored, just have fun in the hobby for now, you'll get faster and noticed as time goes on.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:44 AM   #7443
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tectron
the hell with the spool, i tried it in my touring car, and it made push like hell, on power and offpower,
You obviously didn't have a setup for a spool then. You cant just expect to throw one in and have the steering like you did with a 1 way, it takes a completely different setup.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 09:46 AM   #7444
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default Blue Sky

Hi Ron,
Welcome to the DARK Side.
Just got married, Bought a Tamiya, talk about a change in life styles !!!
Give Kevin at Burien Toyota a call, he will steer you in the right direction.
Fred
Old 02-23-2005, 10:54 AM   #7445
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)
Default x-xc xb-xa

Randy I looked back and found the combo ..just wondering what it did for you I'm working on it now and wow it pulls em in! ..you think it will work on carpet rubber tire 19turn Trackside.. also what dog bones did you use 42s rear and stock kit up ft I have the ms on it now any info will help ...
Old 02-23-2005, 12:07 PM   #7446
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Custom--- for carpet I would go the other direction and use the original suspension with Cor D for toe blocks. Talk to Katzer there at Trackside he should have a decent setup for a starting point.

Ron glad to hear you joined the fun see you around this summer at the track, that is if you can take "the twins" off the mantle.....
Old 02-23-2005, 01:51 PM   #7447
Tech Rookie

Default Re: Re: tweaking chassis

Quote:
Originally posted by DickemDown
i had the same problem, and solved it w/ rod's (rtypec) method. i'd listen to him, he knows what he's talking about. when you start loosening the screws, you can see the parts start settling in. besides, i got the same advice from some of the faster guys @ socal : ertrachter, bitter, edgar fiallos - btw, big thanks, edgar for the tips.

even barely clipping a dot and the car gets tweaked.

it might seem like a lot of trouble, but i absolutely love drive this car.
Thanks for your help guys. Never even thought about shock towers causing tweak. Guess this car needs a lot more tlc than my old tc3.
urbanfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 04:56 PM   #7448
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

A few 415 questions for a possible owner...

- with not being countersunk...top decks, towers, ect.....are people experiencing any major tweak problems with the car?

- the new TRF page on tamiya's site is awesome.....any news on a tamiya front diff yet...if not how much does it cost to build up that yokomo/tamiya parts diff?

- not wanting to spend hundreds...but what spares do people generally stock for this car.

- what swaybars, pivot blocks, chubs come with the 415 kit.

I've been running a Pro4 and don't have any experience with Tamiya's but would like to run a belt car and the 415 looks nice....just looking for feedback.

Thank You.......now if I can only get the car and figure out how to join TAOB even though I'm in Chicago :P

c'mon....I have a big serving of "chocalate rice" and fresh puto!

Last edited by Nexus; 02-23-2005 at 05:25 PM.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:21 PM   #7449
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Nexus
figure out how to join TAOB even though I'm in Chicago :P

c'mon....I have a big serving of "chocalate rice" and fresh puto!
we've closed team driver applications for 2005

you can try next year.

www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 07:58 PM   #7450
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

Just want to give you TRF415 owners a heads up, the Speed Tech R/C spools for the 415 are back in stock.

Click here to go to the spools page

Thank you all for your patience on waiting on this product. Also, a few Tamiya bits are in stock as well.

Steve Wang

Last edited by SpeedTech; 02-23-2005 at 09:04 PM.
SpeedTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:45 PM   #7451
Tech Champion

Default Re: Springs

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Sky
Hi Ed,

I just joined the 415 club and wondering what additional springs to get. There are different springs from Tamiya (short, GP, on road) and I'm a bit confused. I have the MS which comes with yellow springs. Thanks for your help.

Ron
Hi, welcome to the club

Regarding springs, I personally only use the Tamiya ones. I have both the normal On-Road tuned set (Part#: 53440, which contains long versions of Red, Yellow, Blue and White), as well as some short blue and short whites.
The short versions of the springs are quite a bit stiffer than the long ones,
I haven't heard of the GP versions so I can't actually comment on those.
For the on-road set, you need to get 2, as the set only include one pair of each springs.
Also, if you get the sets I have, be prepared for an abundance of yellow springs...

Otherwise, going from people on here, I hear that some people like to use AE springs, and it is also interesting too note that HPI springs also fit.

So basically your choice comes down to which company you'd like to use.

Also, if you want to check and compare the rates of various different companies springs, I have a BIG spring chart on the link in my sig. It has Tamiya, AE, Xray, Yokomo, Rayspeed and HPI springs on it, in both lb/in, and gf/mm.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-23-2005, 08:49 PM   #7452
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

I use the Assocaited springs. They fit perfectly and you can get the entire set for around $25.00 (around 8 different pairs).
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 08:57 PM   #7453
Tech Champion

Quote:
A few 415 questions for a possible owner...

- with not being countersunk...top decks, towers, ect.....are people experiencing any major tweak problems with the car?
Not had any problems with mine regards to tweaking (bar the bent chassis after a big hit ), I just make sure i regularly unscrew all the relevant bolts, put the chassis on a flat surface, and re-tighten.

Quote:
- the new TRF page on tamiya's site is awesome.....any news on a tamiya front diff yet...if not how much does it cost to build up that yokomo/tamiya parts diff?
I can't rember exactly who it is, but some one on here has a list of the parts required for the yokomo front diff, I think it's forty-six, but i could be wrong.
However, I don't think it costs that much, as the main parts required are the outdrives, along with diff screw and thrust race.

Quote:
- not wanting to spend hundreds...but what spares do people generally stock for this car.
I personally keep a few sets of wishbones, a few c-hub's and kunckle arms, and rear hubs.

However as I have both the std suspension and the LWT suspension, I have spares for both. With the Lightweight suspension (ie that on the MS) deffiently stock up on 950 size bearings, and lower kingpin flange tubes... I seem to be forever losing the lower kingpins out from the car (well maybe a little exageration, but it's still to often for my liking). If anyone has any tips on how to solve this, it'd be appreciated.

Quote:
- what swaybars, pivot blocks, chubs come with the 415 kit.
Depends on what chassis. I can't comment on the MS, as I brought the std kit car. However that came with
Red, Yellow, Blue front and rear sway bars.
two D-blocks, one D-front bridge, 1 C-, B-, A- and X-block.
Chub wise, it is the standard tmaiya 4deg ones.

HiH
Ed
Old 02-23-2005, 09:28 PM   #7454
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
However as I have both the std suspension and the LWT suspension, I have spares for both. With the Lightweight suspension (ie that on the MS) deffiently stock up on 950 size bearings, and lower kingpin flange tubes... I seem to be forever losing the lower kingpins out from the car (well maybe a little exageration, but it's still to often for my liking). If anyone has any tips on how to solve this, it'd be appreciated.
Im having the same problem with u. The lower kingpin flange bolt seems to get loose very easily. However, i have replaced it with the TA04 Kingpin Bolt and didn't have any problems then.

I am wondering if the Aluminium knuckles will be better then the LW ones.
DORIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 10:49 PM   #7455
Tech Apprentice

Hi Everyone,
I just got my 415 kit today and looking over the instructions it looks like it will take years to put this thing together. The only car I've put together so far is a RC12L4 and that was a piece of cake.
Can anyone offer any suggestions on building the car, any things not covered very well in the instructions?
Thanks in advance.
SteveB is offline   Reply With Quote