R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2005, 04:19 PM   #6436
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
I think there is a carpet race here in Cali in Feb, I'm going to make my way up there with the MS and LW suspension and see if I can get a good setup. It's hard for me to believe the car cant be made to work on carpet, it's really stiff even with the 2.5 thick chassis.
Me too. I understand cars like the Barracuda, you have to buy parts to allow the use of foams since the camber link is higher up than the tire itself.
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:35 PM   #6437
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Me too. I understand cars like the Barracuda, you have to buy parts to allow the use of foams since the camber link is higher up than the tire itself.
I cant say for sure, because I havent mounted a 28mm rim on my MS, but with a 24 it looks like there would be plenty clearance with the stock LW parts. The only problem I can see would be the front spindles hitting by where the steering ballstud is. I have the Square spindles now, and they have an inner hole, I could use that and then grind down some of the outer material.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:02 PM   #6438
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

GT Racer, I posted my carpet/foam setup on page 213. Gonna try some different caster blocks his Friday. And also gonna try a softer spring setup. I didn't quite like the Copper/F Gold/R setup too much with Parma Foams. Seems like the car leaned too much. And if the grip got too high.. the car would traction roll. Yellow/F and Copper/R seemed better. But I'm gonna try again this weekend...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 05:54 PM   #6439
Tech Addict

Thanks guys for your many opinions!
GT Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:02 PM   #6440
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
I think there is a carpet race here in Cali in Feb, I'm going to make my way up there with the MS and LW suspension and see if I can get a good setup. It's hard for me to believe the car cant be made to work on carpet, it's really stiff even with the 2.5 thick chassis.
I have been playing with the stock 415 (not MS) chassis flex a little and looking to see how my laptimes were affected. I run a medium soft suspension setup on my car. I run #3 pistons all the way around with 50lb Associated oil in all 4 shocks. I run the Associated yellow springs in the front and an Associated purple spring in the rear.

When I was first searching for a setup, the car was great in stock trim (I am running a front diff and the locked layshaft pulley). I was a little faster with the 415 than I was with my TC3 and an incredible amount more consistant (I find this great considering that I ran the TC3 for three years and only have about 50-60 packs through the 415). The stock upper deck always seemed a week point to me however. Take it of the car an twist it. It offers almost zero support against twisting. Take the upper deck off a car with a 3mm chassis and you might not notice that much of a difference if you try and twist the chassis (IMO). Because of this I ended up gluing 2 top decks together for the added stiffness. The results were amazing. The stiffness of 2 decks seems 500% stiffer than the one deck alone. You go from being able to twist the top deck without even trying (1 deck) to having to exert force to try and twist it just a little (2 decks). With the top decks glued together my lap times were even fast and I was even more consistant than with one deck. The car seemed to handle much better as well. It also seemed with the 2 decks I was able to run a softer suspension setup.
For my driving style the 2 upperdecks works best. The chassis is a rock and I have never experienced a tweak problem. Considering that I am faster with a stiffer chassis setup, I wouldn't even want to imagine how the MS would perform on carpet with foams since the main chassis is thinner than a regular 415.

I hope the MS will end up working for you on carpet!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #6441
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Randy on the Square hub use the rear ackerman hole on the knuckle, the front offers too much throw and scrubs corner speed way too much. You can tune some of it out with EP adjustment but it just does not work 100% correct. With 28mm foams on the front you are also going to need the 6mm hex along with 2mm of spacing to get clearance. You can cut down the width but you are losing footprint when you do.

Another mod that helps is to ream the outer hinge pin to 2mm and use the old c-hub, knuckle and axle(w 46mm bone). All of this helps get the front narrower without the scrub radius penalty of the all the hub spacing. Also just kiss the top of the C-hub with a 1/2 or so drill bit, this is so you can use the kingpin from the LW suspension fully tight. It also changes front roll center just a tad.

Again all of this is to help it work. I spent about 4weeks trying to get comp laptimes with the LW suspension. The gauge was Cartwright from Schumacher. The car was consistently .9 off the pace with the LW. I finally reverted to the original suspension and immediately the car dropped .6/lap with some minor changes I was able to get it within .1/lap. It also is amazing how close the Schuie is to the 415 all the positions, locations weight dist are all within 1-2mm of each other.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:38 PM   #6442
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thats what I found out too when I looked at Fartwright's and Mini's car........ Pretty interesting.

-Korey
Old 01-12-2005, 10:30 PM   #6443
Tech Prophet

So much work for carpet, lol. I'll save all that on my computer for when I need it for building the car for carpet.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:29 PM   #6444
Tech Prophet

Im in love with the mail lady.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dscn1906.jpg (100.1 KB, 211 views)
Old 01-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #6445
Tech Master

I've got some extra suspension blocks, you interested?
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:37 PM   #6446
Tech Regular

Wow that is alot of kit there Randy

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 PM   #6447
Tech Prophet

BTW, there was conversation about the Alex Racing Design shock shafts bieng 1mm longer than the Tamiya shafts, but they are the same length as the stock MS shafts.
Old 01-13-2005, 02:08 PM   #6448
Tech Apprentice

Default HELP!

Hi guys

My name is Andy and Im from New Zealand. This is my first time posting and hope you guys can help me out.

I own a TRF415MS and I had a little crash that broken the steering knuckle (Part#51103). I have searched everywhere on the net and couldn't find any spares. I have visited my local hobby shops but they told me to wait for about a month as the part needs to be ordered.

I couldn't really wait that long and wish to put my 415 back on the track asap. It will be great if anyone is willing to lend me a direction on where to buy them on the internet or if any of you guys have got a spare set willing to sell to me. I will pay for the frieght of cos.

Thanks again. Great forum, Keep it up!!
DORIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:10 PM   #6449
s2
Tech Adept

http://www.rainbowten.co.jp/english/

0013400151103,TAMIYA,400YEN,51103 TB EVOLUTION 4 C PARTS (FRONT UPRIGHT)

straight from the stock list
s2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 02:11 PM   #6450
Tech Regular

www.speedtechrc.com stock alot of tamiya spares

Chazz
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote