Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-12-2005, 11:18 AM   #6421
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: MS shock towers for carpet racing foam tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Apex
The only advantage I see to having a lower front shock tower for carpet is to be able to slam the body lower on the car. Otherwise, I agree with dawgmeat about droop.
Has anyone really tested with slamming the body yet though? So far, every body I have run worked best when cut across the scored line. I tried slamming a couple bodies on my XXXS and it really didnt work that well.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:19 AM   #6422
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Turbonium

almost forgot, this was reg 415, with the std suspension... and red sways all around.

Team Novak
Turbonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:21 AM   #6423
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

It works OK Randy I did it with a lowered tower that I was running for carpet. This was a handmade piece before the MS tower. The issue is roll and the body dragging. Also if you run it that low on some of the bodies you start losing the front lip on the 6 and a few others.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:28 AM   #6424
Tech Prophet

Losing the front lip is the problem that I saw, if you cut that off the body wont work like it's designed to. It's nice to have the option to slam the body, I just dont think it's the best thing to do for performance.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:47 AM   #6425
Tech Master
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I'm thinking about buying a 415MS to run on carpet and then asphault in the summer for the TCS. The major thing that turned me away last year was you had to buy tons of parts to make 28mm foams fit, like Pro 4 hubs and shims. Is that necessary on the MS since I'm seeing more people running it on carpet now with foams?
NismoSkyline17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 11:50 AM   #6426
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by GT Racer
Hi,

Can anyone advice on the difference in setup for 415 (not MS, with stock arm, not with LW arm) on an asphalt track and a carpet track? I've been running on asphalt all this while. Will be running a carpet indoor for the first time next month. Thanks in advance!

If you're running rubber, just read a few posts above yours.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #6427
Tech Adept

Default foams on 415ms

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
I'm thinking about buying a 415MS to run on carpet and then asphault in the summer for the TCS. The major thing that turned me away last year was you had to buy tons of parts to make 28mm foams fit, like Pro 4 hubs and shims. Is that necessary on the MS since I'm seeing more people running it on carpet now with foams?
I ran my 415ms on carpet and tried some 28mm foams with the std shims and they did catch on the front blocks. I ran rubbers with no probs, but if anyone has some ideas on whats needed to run foams, please let everyone know.
ukmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:43 PM   #6428
Tech Master

Does it still hit the ball stud on the top of the chub? I know that was the main problem. I wonder if the 6mm hexes will fix the problem you are having. The track I rac at won't allow us to run rubber tires.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #6429
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: foams on 415ms

Quote:
Originally posted by ukmaxx
I ran my 415ms on carpet and tried some 28mm foams with the std shims and they did catch on the front blocks. I ran rubbers with no probs, but if anyone has some ideas on whats needed to run foams, please let everyone know.
The MS is totaly the wrong car to be running with foams on carpet!! You have the wrong chassis and the wrong suspension! That car was designed to be run on asphalt with rubber tires. But if you are rubbing some of the Tamiya axle shims should help. Not sure on how many you would need..it all depends on how much they are rubbing. They come in 1mm and 0.5mm thicknesses. You place them between the hex drive and the wheel. using these will more than likely put you over the legal 190mm limit however. You may have to change the suspension blocks to make yourself legal again.

Another solution would be to cut the 28mm tires so they are narrower or just buy foams that are narrower than 28mm (like 26mm)
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #6430
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: foams on 415ms

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
The MS is totaly the wrong car to be running with foams on carpet!! You have the wrong chassis and the wrong suspension!
Can you explain more. I thought it came with a 3mm chassis and what's wrong with the suspension.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:05 PM   #6431
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Some of the newer bodies with their low hoods hit the original tower when all the way down but not "slammed" For TCS the Modena will not fit correct without a huge airspace when trimmed per TCS rules.

Nismo the 415 has the thicker chassis the 415 has the 2.5. Look back about 20 pages now and see some of the set-up and things that were discussed when the car was the bulk of people were setting the car up. The old suspension is the better choice by far for Foam the new LW arms just bind the car along with having to space the wheels too much......... the list goes on.

I keep a full set of original suspension built just for foam and indoor rubber, then switch back to the LW for outdoor.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:30 PM   #6432
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Difuser
Some of the newer bodies with their low hoods hit the original tower when all the way down but not "slammed" For TCS the Modena will not fit correct without a huge airspace when trimmed per TCS rules.

Nismo the 415 has the thicker chassis the 415 has the 2.5. Look back about 20 pages now and see some of the set-up and things that were discussed when the car was the bulk of people were setting the car up. The old suspension is the better choice by far for Foam the new LW arms just bind the car along with having to space the wheels too much......... the list goes on.

I keep a full set of original suspension built just for foam and indoor rubber, then switch back to the LW for outdoor.
Thanks Difuser. Found the setups. Makes me wish that I never got rid of my 415 in the first place. That's what you get for listening to everyone and not trying it for yourself. Now I just need to sell my FK.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:47 PM   #6433
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default Re: Re: Re: foams on 415ms

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoSkyline17
Can you explain more. I thought it came with a 3mm chassis and what's wrong with the suspension.
The MS Chassis is 2.5mm instead of the stock 415 3mm chassis (not terribly bad the the top deck doesn't add that much support at all IMO so the thicker the main chassis the better).
The suspension that comes with the MS is the light weight reversible suspension. This suspenson was designed for long, flowing tracks...specifically ashpalt tracks using rubber tires. Where the stock 415 suspension was designed for short, tight, high traction tracks. It is also much, much stronger than the light weight suspension so it will hold up much better on carpet (as far as hitting walls and stuff).
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:02 PM   #6434
Tech Master

I remember reading back quite a few pages that the white low friction belts are not good for carpet. Does anyone know why?
Old 01-12-2005, 04:16 PM   #6435
Tech Prophet

I think there is a carpet race here in Cali in Feb, I'm going to make my way up there with the MS and LW suspension and see if I can get a good setup. It's hard for me to believe the car cant be made to work on carpet, it's really stiff even with the 2.5 thick chassis.