R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-21-2004, 03:46 AM   #5746
Tech Regular

V12 - I believe they are.

I think the only difference is their aluminium construction and 0 degree toe settings.
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 04:05 AM   #5747
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so again nothing I need.
Old 12-21-2004, 06:09 AM   #5748
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
Weight question for you guys.....

Never measured the weight of my 415 when it was new, and since our club racing there's no weight limit, it hasn't been an issue. However, with upcoming race requires 51oz weight for sedans (foam)... how much weight did you guys have to add to your cars? I just measured mine, and it's freaking 3.5 oz under weight that's rtr with body, stock motor, with original suspension.
The weight limit over here in the uk is 1500g, I always run the car too that limit (don't see any point running it lighter... it's only something extra to think come race day otherwise). Currently, I have to add 50g worth of weight to bring it upto the limit.... However, I have noticed something interesting though. With the LWT suspension on the car weighed 1501g... with the old 1513g. I'm guessing thats a gain of 3g per corner on the new suspension

(oh and BTW thats with HPI 1540's on 26mm wheels, with jb blue moulded foam insersts).

I do try and keep the car as light as possible though, the lead can be quite useful on getting rid of any tweak, and can be useful as a tuning aid. Plus any weight low down, will lower the CoG
Old 12-21-2004, 11:13 AM   #5749
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich
Default 415 on carpet with foams...

For all you guys wondering about if the 415 is a good with foams on carpet...THIS CAR IS A MONSTER!!

It was terrible with the wrong set-up (as most cars are). But with the correct set-up, it is just plain incredible.

I am currently performing some minor tweaks to the set-up and will post it if anyone is interested!

I have always been slower when compared to the fastest A-main guys, at our track, by about .25 seconds. We race on Friday nights. While I did not race, I ran during the day. On Saturday, I went in to the track to check the laptimes and I was faster, on average of .1 seconds, than the A-Main guys that raced that night. I was running the stock belts and they were set extremely tight and my motor had 5 packs through it and I was using average batteries. Needless to say I was shocked as to how fast this car was and in the fact that my lap times are always faster when I race than when I practice. So my times should have been faster if I had raced.
But not only was I faster, I was so much more consistant with the 415 over my TC3.

My car is basically a stock 415. I have an aluminum front diff and locked center pulley. That's really it. Oh yeah, for added stiffness, I superglued 2 top decks together to help reduce flex.

I will post the set-up if anyone is interested!

I would stay away from the MS if you intend to race on carpet. You need the thicker chassis and the stock suspension!!
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:34 AM   #5750
Tech Addict

Default Re: Champion parts

Quote:
Originally posted by forty6
Do you know what are included on the ms parts kit ?? blocks, direct pulley, and rear upright. Is there more ?? or thats it ??
dyaz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 11:54 AM   #5751
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: 415 on carpet with foams...

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
For all you guys wondering about if the 415 is a good with foams on carpet...THIS CAR IS A MONSTER!!

It was terrible with the wrong set-up (as most cars are). But with the correct set-up, it is just plain incredible.

I am currently performing some minor tweaks to the set-up and will post it if anyone is interested!

I have always been slower when compared to the fastest A-main guys, at our track, by about .25 seconds. We race on Friday nights. While I did not race, I ran during the day. On Saturday, I went in to the track to check the laptimes and I was faster, on average of .1 seconds, than the A-Main guys that raced that night. I was running the stock belts and they were set extremely tight and my motor had 5 packs through it and I was using average batteries. Needless to say I was shocked as to how fast this car was and in the fact that my lap times are always faster when I race than when I practice. So my times should have been faster if I had raced.
But not only was I faster, I was so much more consistant with the 415 over my TC3.

My car is basically a stock 415. I have an aluminum front diff and locked center pulley. That's really it. Oh yeah, for added stiffness, I superglued 2 top decks together to help reduce flex.

I would stay away from the MS if you intend to race on carpet. You need the thicker chassis and the stock suspension!!
Yea, post your setup. Where did you get an aluminum front diff?
Peter Busch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:01 PM   #5752
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: 415 on carpet with foams...

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Busch
Yea, post your setup. Where did you get an aluminum front diff?
I will post the set-up after the holiday's!

Jürgen Horn makes them. He makes oneways and spools for different cars and the front diff for the 415. His emailaddress is [email protected]. He is located out of Germany. Quality stuff...pricey, but the diff should last forever as long as you use the Corally Blades on the dog bones!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:03 PM   #5753
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

2nd that, where did you get an alum front diff????
Old 12-21-2004, 12:08 PM   #5754
Tech Master

Default Re: Re: Champion parts

Quote:
Originally posted by Randy Caster
How much did that run?
The Champion parts are not mine. I just grabbed the pix from the net. I don't need no stinking champion parts, even if I have it, I don't know what it is for or what it'll do.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #5755
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Champion parts

Quote:
Originally posted by dyaz21
Do you know what are included on the ms parts kit ?? blocks, direct pulley, and rear upright. Is there more ?? or thats it ??
jas... 0 degree rear alum. hubs. fixed center one way.. and new blocks. 1XA and there are four for them.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:13 PM   #5756
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default Re: 415 on carpet with foams...

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich

i ran my bone stock 415 on carpet and it was NIIIIICE.
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 12:14 PM   #5757
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

koabich: I remember reading about this diff a few pages back. I thought he had stopped making them cause the people were complaining about the aluminum wearing. Even with the blades.

If this in not true and your having luck with them, let us know. I will probably order a set. Why Tamiya has not made this part available is hard to understand?
Old 12-21-2004, 12:22 PM   #5758
Tech Master

Steve Wang mentioned before that he is looking into making aluminum diff halves for the car. Steve are you there??
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2004, 02:38 PM   #5759
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Giordano
koabich: I remember reading about this diff a few pages back. I thought he had stopped making them cause the people were complaining about the aluminum wearing. Even with the blades.

If this in not true and your having luck with them, let us know. I will probably order a set. Why Tamiya has not made this part available is hard to understand?
To my knowledge, he still makes them, but I could be wrong. From what I understand, he made 2 versions: the first version, which used the EVO III diff rings (you were not able to use any blades with these) and a second version that used the normal 415 diff rings and were blade compatible.

In my experience, I ran 1.5 packs through the car with the diff for the first time and they showed very bad wear. I opened up the dog bone pin slots a little and started running the Corally Blades (from what I know these are the only ones that fit Tamiya dog bones correctly).

The second version of the diffs had the dog bone pin slots opened enough to be able to use the Corally bones without modification. He was also working on his own version of the blades, but from what I hear, they kept cracking so he stopped making them.

Since I have been using the first version of the diff, with the Blades, I have had no problems and the diff shows absolutly no wear (I have about 50 runs on it).

They are expensive though, at $75.00 for one front set (with shipping). The nice thing is that it uses all the same parts used to make the rear diff for the 415 so you are not piecing anything together...like a Yokomo diff.

I don't think he stopped making then because he just intoduced an aluminum rear diff for the 415.

If Speed Tech were going to start making them, I would definately support them and buy my diffs from Steve!
Old 12-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #5760
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yippie....

Finally I've had the tools at my disposal today (ie got my hands on my dremmel and special screw removal bit.... ) so I can finally use the body posts as a tuning aid...

I think I'm gonna try that along with spool and locked centre pulley at the next winter series round (hopefully Jan). I might even try it on thursday on indoor carpet, but I'm not to sure if thats completely wise

Can't tell you how frustrating it was reading all the chat about using the posts, when one of mine was stuck with a stripped (steel dammit!) screw head on the underside... hey ho, heres to yet more performance out of the 415

Anyway, I'd be interested to try a diff in the car, but I doubt I'll bother buying one.
Spools seem to be the front axle of choice over here at the moment, except on carpet where the one-ways come in (even then, on tight and twisty tracks the spools seem to work well).
I actually tried a spool in the car again at the weekend, and even though it was only a fun day (btw 415's are good at scoring goals in RC football, i got 2... oh and I won one of the musical boxes heats, just in the box in time), the car felt very good, with quite a lot of off throttle adjustability (which i like).
Just got to see how it goes on a proper track, rather than an oval, avoiding the ramps (they jump bad... nose heavy...don't ask how I know! )

Laterz
Ed

p.s. Yes I did wince when it landed....

Last edited by TryHard; 12-21-2004 at 03:03 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote