Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 08:15 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcnewb2004
what do these lbs/cubic inch mean?
those are the density of the balls? so the nitride balls have the lowest density, therefore the lightest when comparing ot the other two? or is it how much pressure those balls could take before they crack? sorry my physics and units are horrible.
The lbs/cubic inch is saying if you took each of those materials and had it cut into a perfect cubic inch, those figures are what the materials would weigh.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally posted by Randy Caster
Just beware your car will be much more prone to breaking on front end impacts if you cut the bumper.
some off you guys cut the bumper smaller, why? does it got to do with speed?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Rick Draper: A few pages earlier you have a photo of a 415 set-up for carpet. WHo's car is that? Not sure if you meant to say Marks.

If it is, its very interesting. Seems like dual one-ways, even with rubber tires in modified may be the way to go. I will probably ditch the spool and try a diff.

And no sway bars.

Chris: FYI I just got a few of the hardened rear diff halfs, white ones.

Question to the UK crowd: what rubber tires are the best to run on carpet?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally posted by Carl Giordano
Rick Draper: A few pages earlier you have a photo of a 415 set-up for carpet. WHo's car is that? Not sure if you meant to say Marks.

If it is, its very interesting. Seems like dual one-ways, even with rubber tires in modified may be the way to go. I will probably ditch the spool and try a diff.

And no sway bars.

On carpet I have always used the one-ways, only once or twice did I feel it a slight disadvantage (and only on really tight and twisty tracks). Haven't tried a diff so I can't comment. Personally if I have the option of running the one-ways, I'll always try to make them work first. I've never found a happy spool setup, but I may try it next time out.

Tyres wise, I've been using Sorex 24R's, mainly with the B-med insert, seem like a good combination. I have heard the Take off CS22's and Sorex 28's are also good.
I have tried the Sorex 20's. but I found they overheated a bit to quick, basically ruining the run in the last minute. the 24R's take longer to overheat, and the wear is quite good, especially for club racing.

HiH
Ed
Old 12-14-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Dave - you got PM.

Keith
Old 12-14-2004, 02:26 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally posted by rcfiend
Dave - you got PM.

Keith
Thanks!!
Old 12-14-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Initiate

Hi, I am a newbie to 415MS.

Which spur gear should be used for 23T motor?

I think 102T is suited for modified motor.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Gearing issues!

Originally posted by AU-YONG
Hi, I am a newbie to 415MS.

Which spur gear should be used for 23T motor?

I think 102T is suited for modified motor.

Thanks.
The 102 spur will work fine, as long as your final ratio is around 6.1 to 5.7, depending on the size track you are running. The variable is 2.1875 to find out what pinion you'll need, and I believe you have a chart in your instruction manual! There is also a thread for 23 turn motors that should be helpful also.
Enjoy your new found obsession!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:02 PM
Tech Adept

does the 415 toe blocks fit on the evo 4?
Old 12-14-2004, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Ceramic balls/bearings - I agree that ceramic bearings are a bit lighter but I don't believe that is a strong enough reason to run them. In most cases, ceramic bearings are of a tighter tolerance or grade of ball. They also have a much higher hardness rating. Sometimes you'll see a measurement in "Rockwell" which is a unit of measure for the hardness of a metal surface. So increased longevity, smoother operation, and a slight increased performance are the main motivations for running ceramic bearings. I can see some guys justifying ceramic diff balls for the decrease in weight but you can throw most of this out the window if you can't get your car to corner fast. That is bar none the most important thing to get nailed down on your car before jumping on ceramic parts. I believe Speedtech has a bearing set for sale for the 415 so you don't need to know all the sizes.

Spur gears - I've been running a 104T Spur gear in stock. Looks like the car would max out at about 108T. The only reason to change the spur is to try and get finer adjustments to your gear ratios or to try to match a rollout from somebody with another car.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:40 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally posted by KREATOR1
some off you guys cut the bumper smaller, why? does it got to do with speed?
Depending on how much distance you have between your front bumper and your body, you can actully tune for more or less steering. It's a very small difference, but noticiable.
Old 12-15-2004, 01:52 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I got to run my first day with the 415MS today, car is really impressive right out of the box. Made a lot of changes, and got it working pretty well. Today was mainly just a test day, and I did learn a lot about the car, it is really stable, too stable, I was trying to get some traction out of the rear end, and some more steering up front. I gotta admit I wish I would have gone into racing to be more competitive and glued up a new set of tires, rather than running the ratty old ones I had on the car, because the car definately would have been a good competitor tonight. I'll be mounting up some new tires for next weeks racing, and see what this car is capable of
Old 12-15-2004, 03:22 AM
Tech Adept

does the 415 toe blocks fit on the evo 4?
yes but i think they are 1mm lower.
Old 12-15-2004, 03:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally posted by Carl Giordano

And no sway bars.

Hi, yes the pic is of marcs car. I always run 2 one ways indoor on carpet. Rick
Old 12-15-2004, 04:18 AM
Tech Initiate

Hey Rick, will you still run Tamiyacup races next year? You'll have to arrange a beer trip to Belgium with some of the blokes to participate in a Belgian Tamiya race otherwise.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.