Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Raffaelli,

TRF415 is not discontinued, and I believe the 415 will be better for carpet than the 415MS. The 415 have a 3.0mm chassis, which is very rigid and from talking to quite a few carpet racers, stiff chassis is a good thing. The 415 also have beefier suspension components than the MS. The MS's suspension is light weight but usually carpet tracks are tight and lay out with strong boards which can be harsh on the car's suspension during a crash or a tap. The 415 suspension is also shared with other existing Tamiya models (TA04 and TB02) so I don't think it will be discontinued anytime soon.

Steve Wang
HELLO tell me ft diff or no ft diff I been running a 1way from day 1 in indoor stock rubber tire class will a diff be that much better?
Old 11-21-2004, 09:55 PM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by V12
Only the front A-bridge block isn´t in the kit.
Regarding setups there were a lot on this thread. It depends if you´re running foams or rubber tires.
Hi V12, how's the racing going?

Did you see my review of the TRF-415 v Xray T1-FK ?

Cheers, Mark.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 79 (99%+)
Default oh young grasshopper

Originally posted by Carl Giordano
Ok guys got to finally run the 415 on carpet. As Chris R. mentioned above the car was dialed, able to put the car anywhere I wanted it. Gave Raul and his Mi2, who is top dog at Hobby Chamber something to think about. I beleive Raul is starting to see blue.

My carpet set-up: basic 415 kit
> stock 415 arms
> A block in the front
> low friction belts
> Tamiya Purple springs FR / Gray rear, both were long
> 50wt shock oil, stock shock tower settings
> DUAL ONE-WAY Bearings
> Parma Foam Plaid/Purple 28mm.
> ball studs in the bottem holes of the steering knuckles. (only cause the alum ball stud broke in the top hole when I tap the inside of a board.) I'm switching to steel
> Parma Alfa 190 body
That's it. Assemble the rest of the car as instructed.

Since, I finished building the car Saturday, really Raul finished it and raced Saturday night I did not have time to try different set-up. The set-up above was an unbelievable starting point. Fast and easy to drive, a little too much mechnaical grip, but I will work on that.

I will have more to post shortly.
Nice chassis photos, but I'd stick with the stock one.

Carl,
the car looked good, ran good, and broke with the best of them!!! Get rid of all the ALUMINUM links, and ballstuds and you should not have a problem. I am still seeing people having clearance issues with tire manufactures on their cars. Dawgmeat have you measured yours???? Does it measure 190.00 mm or 191.5mm ??? Inside joke.

But serioulsy, the car is nice, with even a nicer price tag. A solid performer, but not convinced just yet. Next stop, the Tamiya Contingincy!!!! Your welcome Carl.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default on a side note.......

Raul called me three times this weekend to try to get in on the order for a 415..........
Old 11-22-2004, 06:38 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Razzo: I'll try the Jaco's next. Do you know if the Jaco's use GRP foam? I prefer the GRP stuff, you pay but I feel its worth it. I will measure the wheel width tonight with the Parma's.

Chris: I hear ya, I think Raul is scrambling. For all those purple dwellers out there check the schumacher forum, you may find Raul's Mi2 for sale....LOL

The first thing I'm going to work on is the tires selection. Once I find the hardest foam tire combination to run, and rims that fit well with the proper wheel width then I'll work on tweeking my set-up.

I'm going to start with a spool set-up on carpet. Then springs, them shock positions and finally sway bars.

Also, no problem mounting the Parma foams on the 415 old suspension. But you must use the king pin ball stud from the new evo4. Its shorter than stock one, no need to grind down the ball cap.

Anyone know the part number for 5mm steel ball ends. I think the florine alum ones that I use snapped because I did not pre-tap the plastic with steel screws. I just trended the alum into the plastic. This may have weakened the alum from the start.

Raul, its not worth spending the extra $$ now to replace the alum turnbuckles with Ti. I'll wait until I bend the alum one's first. Besides I want to run the car as close to stock as possible.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Carl,

Do you think the TM tires will fit without changing the kingpin?
Old 11-22-2004, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Not sure, I beleive so. The TM rims look taller, larger ID. Almost like an inch-up rim. Besides the king pin is cheap, a $5 part.

I also prefer the new king pin cause it has a 2mm allen key driver at the top of it. Makes it easier to align the the king pin ball stud into the streering block. The stock TRF king pin ball stud required a 5.5mm nut driver.

I'm going to e-mail you the link of the parts list from the Tamiya website. Lets get Ortman on this.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:05 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally posted by Leini
marc isn't even sure if he used a 2,5mm chassi or 3mm... but he had hpi 0degr. rear hubs in his (satoshis) car...
btw, results of the orion speed weekend/germany:

1.simo ahoniemi, corally
2.steen gravesen, tamiya/orion
3.teemu leino, schumacher/orion
4. marc rheinard, tamiya/orion
5.marc fischer, tamiya/orion
6.benni gröschel, hpi/lrp
7.ronald völker, tamiya/orion
8.markus mobers, tamiya/fantom
9.jonas anderson, schumacher/peak
10.jilles groskamp, x-ray/peak

i was really unlucky qualifying only 13th with a bad mistake in a possible top-6-run...damn! but its only for joy.....
That chassis looked like 2.5mm to me.

Hmm, no Tamiya did win the Team Orion Speed weekend?
Even a worldchamp can´t win every race he attends. But why not Steen or Marc Fischer? Was Simo that fast?

Leini
at least a much better result than Zillisheim.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:22 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by markp27
Hi V12, how's the racing going?

Did you see my review of the TRF-415 v Xray T1-FK ?

Cheers, Mark.
Hi Mark
Yes I saw your review. Very interesting. But which car will be your favourite car now? And did you compare with your EVO III?

Hmmm .... my race was f...§$%XY. Was on TQ but the guy on 2nd place crashed into me in 2 of the A-Mains so lost the race and finished in 2nd place. Not the result I wanted as the 415 was a rocket at this track.

I think next race will be in about 3 weeks. Don´t know of any other race in between. Also need a brake after 3 weekends in a row.

Question for Leini
my low friction front belt is adjusted the same way as yours. Also I´m using the belt tensioner now. But again I had the belt twisted 2 times in practice. How can this happen?
Old 11-22-2004, 08:35 AM
Tech Regular

Hi V12

I think that the belt twists sometime if the cells move a little and catch the belt.. I have had it do that

Alan

Last edited by alan1467; 11-22-2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:38 AM
Tech Adept

i never that prob so i don't know what the reason could be.....perhaps some dirt on the belt??
simo was incredible fast.at the beginning he was far away. steen,teemu and marc came closer but teemu was only 4th on the grid and marc made somemistakes (burned out a bit??).steen was pretty close in the last final but simo didn't make a single mistake.his car had simply more grip than the tamiyas this time...but as you said - tamiyas cannot win every race and its good for the sport when another car is fast.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Hi Leini tell us more details about Marc's Setup plz.

Oil weigth, springs, swaybars, blocks and so on.

Tamiya Rulezzzzzz auch in Luxemburg
Old 11-22-2004, 08:53 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Originally posted by alan1467
Hi V12

I think that the belt twists sometime if the cells more a little and catch the belt.. I have had it do that

Alan
Hi Alan
it´s some time gone since I heard from you.
I´m pretty sure the cells can´t move and touch the belt. I´m using the Xray battery brace and this is a tight fit. Maybe I´m tightening the belt one notch. But as Leini is running his frontbelt very loose also and this is even with Modified motors this makes me wonder.

Leini
I would have liked going to the Team Orion speed weekend also but I was too late so the stock class was closed. Just for watching this race was too far away. Maybe next year. But must have been a very interesting race. Just saw some pictures at the German forum.
I think I just found the reason there why Marc didn´t win. He used the wrong hat.
Old 11-22-2004, 08:58 AM
Tech Regular

Hi V12
Yes I'll email you over the next few day's now work has eased off and I'm back to racing

Alan
Old 11-22-2004, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by raffaelli
Carl,

Do you think the TM tires will fit without changing the kingpin?
Attached Thumbnails Tamiya TRF415-picture-105.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.