R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-17-2004, 01:32 AM   #4906
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

I use AE springs on my 415, couple reasons. They fit great, right circumference and length. Easy / cheap to get, and if you get the whole 'set' comes with nice chart with exact lbs rating on them. I'm sure Tamiya springs work well, but they come in 'short' or regular length, some are same colored, but different rates, ect. Plus, it'll cost double of getting AE set.

Far as removing supports, it's not same as swaping sway bars. Taking the supports out allows the chassis to flex more laterally. It's a great tuning option. For running rubber carpet, taking them out would make the car 'grip' more through the corners. However, it did make the car harder to drive. Try exact same setup with and with out the posts. You'll be amazed how much the car carries more speed through the corners, but it'll also turn in LOT more aggressively into a corner. I don't know if you ever owned a MR4TCW kit, we used to cut certain braces on top deck to adjust chassis flex. Same concept on 415 with posts. Make sure to increase some ride height with out posts, the chassis will lean and flex to a point where you'll actually rub the surface with edges of the chassis. Not recommended with foam /carpet though, turns the chassis into a noodle, and you'll be miserable.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:42 AM   #4907
Tech Master

Default Re: worlds suspension

Quote:
Originally posted by karndriver
just wondering if anyone has any experience with associated springs as it seems that they are the favoured choice of marc reinhard and surikarn on the various chassis.
AE springs is being QC-ed better, they comes very true in terms of heighs when you buy them in pairs unlike the tamiya ones. More rate choices are a plust poit as well. Dislikes for AE: sometimes the paints sticked together within the first few coils.

Quote:
lastly does anyone know what removing the deck support posts on the intermediate decks does to the cars performance?
More flex is obvious but as `Bruno` said, tune the car by flexing it... it is far cry from reality. On the TRF415, I believe it is more to resist tweak as if the post were installed, your car would have tweak for every major impact (yes, partly because of those post installed). To experimence, your chassis will be more less tweak (when new) without those posts installed.
Pyramid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 01:54 AM   #4908
Tech Initiate

thanks for filling the gaps for me there. looks like ill have to pick up a set of ae springs. does anyone have a chart that compares tamiya to ae because i know what im dong with tamiya springs. might have to try that post mod next meeting.
karndriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 02:26 AM   #4909
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo

check this link: http://www.thard.co.uk/rc/TRF415/trf415pages.html check under Excel spreadsheet section. (Thanks Tryhard)

Pyramid, I have to dis-agree with you on tuning the car with 'flex' It's a viable option for tuning the chassis. Back with 414M, some ran 'split' upper deck, to allow more flex, which increased the available 'mechanical' grip /verses tire grip (usually only on outdoor asphalt). Old Yoks used essentially a shock on top deck to adjust fore/aft flex (along with belt tension) which effected the car alot. MR4TC used different braces cut out of top deck to change chassis' lateral flex point. Heck, even newer shaft cars, like Pro4/ Evo series, you can tune with taking or adding in center posts to change the chassis flex.

Far as chassis tweak on 415, taking the posts out has almost no effect on tweak. Running indoors, and banging into 2x4 wood for barriers, it's easy to tweak a chassis, but when my 415 does tweak (only once in last 4 weeks, I'll break a c-hub before tweaking the chassis) it's never at the middle decks, it's always front of upper deck, where the long screws go in from top deck, through the aluminum spacers into the middle deck/bulkhead. From pictures of 415, when it's not running posts (IFMAR worlds, Reedy race) it's usually been on outdoor asphalt races, with track that didn't have big 2x4 non moving wood objects for barriers. And I'm guessing top level drivers like Marc, Surikarn aren't taking out the posts to resist 'tweak', since you really can't tweak the chassis by just driving around the track cleanly.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:39 AM   #4910
Tech Master

Quote:
thanks for filling the gaps for me there. looks like ill have to pick up a set of ae springs. does anyone have a chart that compares tamiya to ae because i know what im dong with tamiya springs. might have to try that post mod next meeting.
For starter, by the following

ASS-3942 TC3/NTC3 Silver Spring, pr
ASS-3944 TC3/NTC3 Gold Spring, pr

Ussually you need the Gold one in front if you feel all around silver (in between yellow and blue from Tamiya) gives you too much grip.

Here is the complete set,
ASS-3988 TC3/NTC3 Complete Spring Set

Remmember, they only comes in a pair.. so I think it`s a bit waste of money to buy the complete set.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:40 AM   #4911
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Anyone interested in getting rid of their 415 look here.http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...threadid=55246
429racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 05:45 AM   #4912
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
Back with 414M, some ran 'split' upper deck, to allow more flex, which increased the available 'mechanical' grip /verses tire grip (usually only on outdoor asphalt).
Dave Jun was it?

Rather than taking this further, I`ll just say everyone is entitle making their own opinions as you and I did which I believe based on our own experience as well.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:52 AM   #4913
Tech Fanatic

In antother post it says Marc ran HPI silver springs, his father has confirmed this to someone on there. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 07:45 AM   #4914
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
check this link: http://www.thard.co.uk/rc/TRF415/trf415pages.html check under Excel spreadsheet section. (Thanks Tryhard)
No problem, it's what it's there for
Old 11-17-2004, 07:52 AM   #4915
Tech Regular

yeah Ed, I meant to say thanks when you first posted the link to your site. I've let a few guys at my local club know about your site too, I'm sure they'll find it as useful as I do.

Cheers.
Ballsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:04 AM   #4916
Tech Rookie

hi!

only wanted to ask, if marc used the new evo4 suspension and what advantages of the delrin-outdrives are.

thx, mc_rr
MC_RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:32 AM   #4917
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires

i'll be starting some trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires after the new year.

looks like i'm gonna have some issues getting the 28mm tires to fit so that will be my first update how to work around it...

stay tuned...
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:50 AM   #4918
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Apex
i'll be starting some trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires after the new year.

looks like i'm gonna have some issues getting the 28mm tires to fit so that will be my first update how to work around it...

stay tuned...
I used the king pin fron the Evol 4 or LW conversion kit, it's lower than the 415, I will be posting more pic of different Tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 105.jpg (132.5 KB, 176 views)
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 11:58 AM   #4919
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
I used the king pin fron the Evol 4 or LW conversion kit, it's lower than the 415, I will be posting more pic of different Tires.
The first set of foams were Tm racing http://www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com/FrameSet16.htm

these are TRC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 113.jpg (147.6 KB, 181 views)
Old 11-17-2004, 12:00 PM   #4920
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: Re: trf-415 testing on carpet with foam tires

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
The first set of foams were Tm racing http://www.tm-rc-racingcomponents.com/FrameSet16.htm

these are TRC

Also these tires are 28mm, no wheel spacers used