R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2004, 04:21 PM   #4486
Tech Master

Send a message via Yahoo to koabich

Quote:
Originally posted by tamiyadriver
judging by his signature... id say he is trying to get some of the white belts to fit his X-Ray....

i dont remember the size, but i can look for ya this eve....
Yeah, he might be but the Tamiya has square teeth on their belts for the 415 and the X-ray uses more rounded teeth on their. The Tamiys will not fit his gears properly is that is what he is trying to do.
koabich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:16 PM   #4487
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
Yeah, he might be but the Tamiya has square teeth on their belts for the 415 and the X-ray uses more rounded teeth on their. The Tamiys will not fit his gears properly is that is what he is trying to do.
I think I saw somebody mentioned that the Xray gears fit the 415. Although it only has 34T. I'm not sure if you can adjust the bearing holders enough to take out the slack. Also, the Xray diff pulleys are "sealed" and uses the more common 2.4mm diff balls.
elnitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 05:22 PM   #4488
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to razzo
Default Re: Firsts time building 415

Quote:
Originally posted by dawgmeat
Compared to the Mi2 drivetrain not as free.

is this because the bearing are packed with grease or just need to be broken in.

3 10MM shims used on outdrives on both side to take out the side to side slop

with all the magazine articals saying rear belt base setting was too loose so I went one notch back.

currently breaking in drive train.
3 10mm shims? wow. How tight did you shim it out? you should have some side to side play so it doesn't bind. Looking at your picture, I bet once you throw the shock tower on it, and upper deck, it'll get tight.

And breaking in the drivetrain with no load on it is kinda waste of time? IMHO, put the car on the track and run couple packs through, it'll be quicker then breaking it in with no load for 2 hours.

Even with out low friction belts, once the car is broken in, it should roll well, better then Mi2.
razzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:22 PM   #4489
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Errr guys, just in case no-one else has seen it yet, but Marc Reinhard has TQ'd the worlds with his 415.....

Bring on the finals tomorrow...Marc's been super fast all week, what price a WC for the 415... and then we can boast it's a World Champ car (and not just the succesor to one )

Regards
Ed
Old 10-29-2004, 10:00 PM   #4490
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by elnitro
I think I saw somebody mentioned that the Xray gears fit the 415. Although it only has 34T. I'm not sure if you can adjust the bearing holders enough to take out the slack. Also, the Xray diff pulleys are "sealed" and uses the more common 2.4mm diff balls.
My only real complaint with the car is that I wish the diffs were sealed similar to the X-Ray or Schumacher. I have to rebuild the diffs arfter each night at the track...damn carpet
Old 10-29-2004, 10:24 PM   #4491
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TryHard
Errr guys, just in case no-one else has seen it yet, but Marc Reinhard has TQ'd the worlds with his 415.....

Bring on the finals tomorrow...Marc's been super fast all week, what price a WC for the 415... and then we can boast it's a World Champ car (and not just the succesor to one )

Regards
Ed
Congradulations to Marc, I saw him drive at the Reedy Race, and all I can say was "WOW!" he can definitely wheel! By the way, did any body notice that he didn't run the support posts on his TRF415? (I was just going over the pictures on Orion's site) and...I think he stripped the paint on the sway bars and the springs?

oh, and one thing I would like to share with you guys is check your front bulkheads where the shock tower mounts to...they can (in a very hard crash) tweak and bend I found out the hard way last Sat.

Steve Wang
Old 10-29-2004, 11:33 PM   #4492
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default No posts

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Congradulations to Marc, I saw him drive at the Reedy Race, and all I can say was "WOW!" he can definitely wheel! By the way, did any body notice that he didn't run the support posts on his TRF415? (I was just going over the pictures on Orion's site) and...I think he stripped the paint on the sway bars and the springs?

oh, and one thing I would like to share with you guys is check your front bulkheads where the shock tower mounts to...they can (in a very hard crash) tweak and bend I found out the hard way last Sat.

Steve Wang
Neither did Surikan at the Reedy here in Aliso Viejo!
Allows the chassis to flex but not tweek!
"Tamiya Racer to Infinity and Beyond!"
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:51 PM   #4493
Tech Adept

Go Marc!!

I'm wondering if anyone at all here has run 415 with foams... I am aware that they will need to be narrowed, that's ok. Just wondering about a standard foam setup. Thanks,
Glue-Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:02 AM   #4494
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Glue-Stick
Go Marc!!

I'm wondering if anyone at all here has run 415 with foams... I am aware that they will need to be narrowed, that's ok. Just wondering about a standard foam setup. Thanks,
28mm foams fit the car fine after several things have been done. First I use 1.5 mm worth of spacers on the axles to push the wheels out a little. 28 MM Jaco's rub the rear sway bar mounts and the top of the ball cups on the top of the castor block. To prevent this from happening, I shaved a little material off the bottom of the sway bar mounts and I shaved the top of the ball cups (I have bent the aluminum tie rods but the ball cups never poped off.
Stick with the stock 415 suspension...This is my set up so far for carpet foams with 19 motor...still tweaking it (with Jaco 28 mm double pink/orange for the front and double pink for the rears)

Front:
FRONT DIFF!!
70 weight Associated oil with #2 pistons
Associated yellow springs
Front shocks laid all the way down
1mm spacers for kickup
A and C block
Moved the front arms to the back 0.07mm
Blue sway bar
-1.5 camber
1mm shock up-travel
Rear

60 weight Associated oil with #2 pistons
Associated yellow spring
Shocks mounted in the third hole towards the centerline of the car
1mm spacers for kickup
Stock blocks
Moved the arms forward 1mm
Blue sway bar
-1.5 camber
1.5mm-2mm shock up-travel

Misc stuff:
4mm ride height
Titanium screws
Titanium tie rods
single locked puley on layshaft
Heat Sink Beam
Belt stabilizer
Heat Sinlk motor mount
I used CA to glue 2 top decks together (absolutly zero flex)

I think that's about it!!
Old 10-30-2004, 01:19 AM   #4495
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to ngo8

ok if you put DD in the back and the blue hubs will that give 1degrees ? like dd =0 =1 degrees hubs
Old 10-30-2004, 01:26 AM   #4496
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Re: Re: Firsts time building 415

Quote:
Originally posted by razzo
3 10mm shims? wow. How tight did you shim it out? you should have some side to side play so it doesn't bind. Looking at your picture, I bet once you throw the shock tower on it, and upper deck, it'll get tight.

And breaking in the drivetrain with no load on it is kinda waste of time? IMHO, put the car on the track and run couple packs through, it'll be quicker then breaking it in with no load for 2 hours.

Even with out low friction belts, once the car is broken in, it should roll well, better then Mi2.
First let me say " the hell with Yokomo" the 415 parts and finish are second to none.

Second the Yok ceramic diff halve bearings fit like a glove

third is there anybody who shimed their diffs, if not I will remove them Sat., I didn't think about the shock towers and top plate installed.

Las tbut not least can someonw hook me up with carpet set-up using foam, lock center layshaft and front diff using standard arms and LW
dawgmeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:21 AM   #4497
Tech Regular

People!!

Get your $$$$$$$$ ready for the TRF415MR Edition c/w MR V2 motor (not the MS)!!!!!!

Tamiya must be telling their factory to stop printing all MS letter!!!!!!

MIKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 03:31 AM   #4498
Tech Regular

dawg,

are you talking about shimming out the Yok diff in front? then, yes, you have to shim it out. If it's the standard rear diff, NO. That shouldn't need any shims.
Old 10-30-2004, 03:43 AM   #4499
Tech Regular

no kidding so much for MS edition. Poor Mazumi didn't have a good showing. But I though the MS version was suppose to be better for outdoor asphalt since it's not as stiff as original? (2.5mm chassis vs 3mm) with LW arms which work better outside then it does for say indoor carpet/foam?

MR edition would be little odd, looks like normal 415 kit, minus chassis posts, but addition of LW arms, spool and MS shock towers? Oh yea, add Ti screws, ect, and it'll be a $450 kit! Does Tamiya even bother with WC kit since MS just came out?

If Surikarn wins, then Evo guys really be pissed! you had Evo, Evo2, Evo3, Evo3SE, Evo4, then you'll have to add Evo4SE/WC. Yikes! That's 6 Evo kits in 4 years? then again, how many flavors did 414 go through? 414X/414/414M/414Mk2/414WC?

Much as I'd like to see Tamiya keep winning big races, Loyal Tamiya fans will go broke trying to keep up with latest kits!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #4500
Tech Master

I don't think they will release a new car, but they will offer this hop-up.
forty6 is offline   Reply With Quote