R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-23-2004, 05:13 PM   #3946
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Atomix
I think you'll find Dragonfire is in fact correct. Moving the lower shock mounting point out on the arm (toward the wheel) makes it firmer due to less leverage applied to the spring - ie closer to the wheel, less leverage applied, further in on arm, more leverage applied.
Sorry Atomix, wrong there.
The piviot for the lever is the hinge pin, therefor if you move the shock mount further away from this piviot (towards the wheel) you get MORE leverage.
It's all to do with moments, (F1 x X1 = F2 x X2 = m, when at equilbrium).

Therefore moving the position out on the arm will change the leverage, with the upper changing the angle of the shock (and thus changing how the shock compresses, and the vertical and horizontal components of the force from teh lever). I've been thinking about this quite hard over the past few days and this is the conculsion I've come too.

Regards
Ed
Old 09-23-2004, 05:45 PM   #3947
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by TryHard
The piviot for the lever is the hinge pin, therefor if you move the shock mount further away from this piviot (towards the wheel) you get MORE leverage.

Therefore moving the position out on the arm will change the leverage, with the upper changing the angle of the shock (and thus changing how the shock compresses, and the vertical and horizontal components of the force from teh lever). I've been thinking about this quite hard over the past few days and this is the conculsion I've come too.

Regards
Ed
I guess the authors of XXX-Main, Race Car Dynamics, CompetitionX website & the Tiscali website are all wrong then.

Get 10 bricks and put them on a see-saw. If they are placed at the point furthest out on the see-saw, & you try to lift them, more force is required to pick them up (stiffer setting in rc terms). Place them closer to the pivot point (centre of see-saw), its much easier to pick up. The same applies to lower shock mounting,we use leverage to manipulate the "stiffness setting".
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 05:53 PM   #3948
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:

Regards
Ed
Try hard, when you say leverage, i think you mean the shock has more leverage upon the arm, therefore is not as easily moved by the wheel. therefore the wheel rate is harder.

It is definately a leverage equation, the longer the lever (distance between the wheel and the shock mount) the easier it will be to raise the wheel.
Old 09-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #3949
BKK
Tech Rookie

I don't have a picture to ask with but does anyone know what part number and manufature makes the graphite trianglar shape bumper brace? I see it in the Japanese RCM and RCWorld. I would like to get one if anyone has any info on it. Thanks!

I just got the multi hole steering plate by Squat.
BKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:54 AM   #3950
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by BKK
I don't have a picture to ask with but does anyone know what part number and manufature makes the graphite trianglar shape bumper brace? I see it in the Japanese RCM and RCWorld. I would like to get one if anyone has any info on it. Thanks!

I just got the multi hole steering plate by Squat.
It is also made by squat S486
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:47 AM   #3951
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Ok, gotcha.

Getting confused over how everything changes in a lever situation (it been well over a year or so since I've actually had to do any of that sort of calculation, stupid industrial placement...), teach me to try and do it in my head and not write anything down....

Still, looks like surikarns reedy setups was real soft then, especially on the rear given that the shocks were right in on the arms.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:22 PM   #3952
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by forty6
You need the rears. The fronts are off-set to one side. The rears are centered.
hi,

im just about to get the 415 here in the UK, but i was wondering, along with the parts that have already been stated to make the diff. Do you also need a tamiya pulley and diff balls? or do these come with it? can somebody please explain?

thanks
Sleighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 12:30 PM   #3953
Tech Adept

Yes I believe you will need a diff pulley and balls, as well as the thrust bearing, screw, nut, spring...etc...

Getting a 415 eh? lol you may have to change your 'shrine to losi signiture' you know....haha
g4t2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #3954
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default calling mr. canare!

rod,

can you please post your 415 set up from the mazda cup? were you using the LW suspension with the 415 already? i need a starting point since my 415 has been upgraded to the LWS already. thanks!
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 01:54 PM   #3955
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hola Chris. I ran the same setup I ran at the Reedy Race with the exception of changing all springs to Red. To be honest, there weren't very many setup changes I could have done to get the car to hook up on the Mazda Cup surface. I haven't installed the LW set on my 415yet...perhaps in a week or two. I plan on figuring out the Evo4 at TA tomorrow.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 02:31 PM   #3956
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rtypec
Hola Chris. I ran the same setup I ran at the Reedy Race with the exception of changing all springs to Red. To be honest, there weren't very many setup changes I could have done to get the car to hook up on the Mazda Cup surface. I haven't installed the LW set on my 415yet...perhaps in a week or two. I plan on figuring out the Evo4 at TA tomorrow.
hehe okay.. ill be at tamiya trying to figure out the LW on the 415. gonna be a long day tomorrow
www.facebook.com/HebikiDesignWorks
Hebiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:17 PM   #3957
BKK
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
It is also made by squat S486
Thank you sir! Does Squat have a website?
BKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 09:09 AM   #3958
Tech Champion

Quote:
Ok, gotcha.

Getting confused over how everything changes in a lever situation (it been well over a year or so since I've actually had to do any of that sort of calculation, stupid industrial placement...), teach me to try and do it in my head and not write anything down....

Still, looks like surikarns reedy setups was real soft then, especially on the rear given that the shocks were right in on the arms.
The best way to understand is try attaching your shocks to the outside and inside and compare results.

The spring rate karn was using is irrelivant unless you know what kind of rollcentre he was using. If the track is bumpy but has good grip you will be running soft springs to run smoothly over the bumps but a high rollcentre to keep the car from rolling to far with the soft springs.

There are millions of reasons for any setup but unless you understand how the setup works looking at bits and pieces of it may make it seem stupid.