R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-21-2004, 07:38 AM   #3916
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by TryHard
just been looking at that Reedy race setup, looks like he was running the car fairly soft, what with yellow springs and low wt oil in the shocks. I guess there wasn't that much grip then?
Any info or pictures to show what suspension block he was running on the front of the car (the rear I can figure out).

Thanks for the info anyway.

Regards
Ed
On the new arms there is no need to run as stiff as the old ones as you can mount the shocker further out. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 09:40 AM   #3917
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by koabich
Has any one else noticed that his alum. outdrives wear pretty bad...or is it just me?
Don´t have any of the aluminium diffoutdrives now but Alan is using them since some time and he doesn´t have any wear.
But as I wrote in the report from the German Nationals Jürgen had some further improvement now using Corally blades so there is no wear at all at the outdrives.
I´m just waiting for my aluminium diffs front and rear.

Beside this I had my first run with the 415 now last sunday. Was at a carpet track and did some practice with both the EVO III and the 415 afterwards. Used about the same setup and the 415 had more steering but was easier to drive also. This was with Sorex 28 tires as we will have these as controltires next race. After that I hope I can do some more testing next time.
Old 09-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #3918
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Draper
On the new arms there is no need to run as stiff as the old ones as you can mount the shocker further out. Rick
I thought that moving the shocks out on both the lower and upper points made the suspension stiffer? Or is it a case of the more upright the shock position the stiffer the suspension, regardless of wheter the top or bottom position is adjusted? Or will the position on the lower arm affect it (thinking levergae affect here).
Hopefully someone can explain this in reasonably plain english to me

Regards
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 09-21-2004 at 02:59 PM.
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:03 PM   #3919
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I thought that moving the shocks out on both the lower and upper points made the suspension stiffer? Or is it a case of the more upright the shock position the stiffer the suspension, regardless of wheter the top or bottom position is adjusted? Or will the position on the lower arm affect it (thinking levergae affect here).

Regards
Ed
Yup therefore if you run a yellow spring and the shock further out it is stiff. Also with the arms been longer and the leaverage been different you therefore get a different feeling to the suspension. Rumor has it the TRF team all paint there springs white so people cannot tell what they are running. Rick
Rick Draper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #3920
Tech Champion

Rick, I assume your refering to the angle of the shock? or the position?

Sorry just a little confused (already frazzled my brain today puzzling over droop.. )

Ed
Old 09-21-2004, 03:34 PM   #3921
Tech Adept

Quote:

Regards
Ed
Its all pretty complecated but ill try and explain it......

Its all to do with triganometry. With the shock being the hypotenuse. Aparently moving the bottom of the shock on the wishbone makes alot more difference than moving the top of the shock. Chris Kerswell spent alot of time working it out when he ran his mission an tried to explain it to me but i was kinda confused . Laying the shocks down at the top makes them more progressive throughout the movement. Whearas moving the shock around on the wishbones doesnt change this. Its very difficult to explain because im not 100% myself
Old 09-21-2004, 03:45 PM   #3922
Tech Champion

I think I understand what your trying to say phil. Basically by adjusting the angle you change the how the moments/forces opperate on the shock (from what I remember from my mechanics course), however with the lower position it changes the amount of force..... (as there is a greater/less leverage on the shock)

Hmmm, I think we're making headway now

Ed
Old 09-21-2004, 03:54 PM   #3923
Tech Adept

Yea im basicly trying to say the hypotenuse always stays the same (well until the shock is compressed) but moving the top changes the vertical side of the triangle, and moving the bottom changes the horizontal side. Chris got to the point at which it got so complecated he gave up. There are soooo many variables etc involved in the movement that its near impossible to work out. I think im gonna stick to changing things and seeing how they feel on the track rather than getting into the very techincal side of it.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:45 PM   #3924
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to buboy28 Send a message via Yahoo to buboy28
Arrow

steve,

hi, how much are those front diff spools? cant find it at your website and would you shipped it here in Manila, Phils. if i order
one. thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by SpeedTech
Hi Guys,

Just a quick post, we should have some square products in stock tomorrow for the TRF415, website should be updated by tomorrow night

Steve Wang

p.s. thanks kilruf
buboy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 12:46 AM   #3925
Tech Elite

OK I just made a diff.

Here are the parts I used:

Yokomo parts
zs-507
zs-508
bb-850p
zs-501 - diff halves
zs-506

Tamiya Parts
51055 - Diff pulley
53379 - diff balls

This works nicely but with the stock front bones the pins just pick up the outdrive. Longer bones would make the conversion better.
AMGRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #3926
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil C
Yea im basicly trying to say the hypotenuse always stays the same (well until the shock is compressed) but moving the top changes the vertical side of the triangle, and moving the bottom changes the horizontal side. Chris got to the point at which it got so complecated he gave up. There are soooo many variables etc involved in the movement that its near impossible to work out. I think im gonna stick to changing things and seeing how they feel on the track rather than getting into the very techincal side of it.
thats a complicated way of putting it...

With the same springs.....

moving lower shock mounting out towards wheel makes suspension stiffer, moving inward makes suspension softer.

moving upper shock mount has the same effect in the same differctions but to a smaller degree.

There are also some other side effects other that harder/softer suspension but that is getting complicated.

Generally speaking... if the track is very flat/smooth, run shocks outward on lower arms. If its rough run shocks inward on lower arms.