R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-25-2004, 03:11 PM   #2236
Tech Fanatic

Default Chatter

Iniral

Thanks for the reply. I have already tried all the things you mentioned. But the problem still exists. There are no groves in the spool and the universals are already swept back. I had determined that it was the universal and that the wheel was accenting the vibration. But your explaination on the acceleration/deceleration was new...at least I know why the universals are causing the probelm. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:12 PM   #2237
Tech Fanatic

Default Re: Can some one post a picture of the spool

Quote:
Originally posted by FUK_WRX
Can someone kindly post a picture of the spool, im curious how it looks like.

Thanks,

Luie
I don't have a picture, but the spool looks just like a normal diff, but there is no diffing action.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:26 PM   #2238
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX
Default Re: Re: Can some one post a picture of the spool

Quote:
Originally posted by Martin Crisp
I don't have a picture, but the spool looks just like a normal diff, but there is no diffing action.
Thanks for your reply, another question what advantage does the spool provide?
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:39 PM   #2239
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Go to Team Orion website and look at the Yokomo spool. That's what they look like.

Martin, I'm just as stumped as you are with this "chatter". Right now it seems when I turn the wheels right, I get more chatter than turning them left. Sometimes the chatter is there... sometimes not. I know I'm scrubbing speed from this too. It's one of the reasons why I hate spools.

Right now I have the front arm spacing shims set with 2mm up front and like a .5mm in the rear. Trying to get the axles angled back so when the inside wheel turns... it'll have less angle than with 2mm rear. Of course like it was mentioned here... it all alters steering geometry.

I've been trying to combat this problem on my Yokomo SD as well. It got soo bad, and slowed the car down soo much I just pulled the car off the track and brought the 415 back out.

Since you are goin to the Reedy Race Martin... how about asking some of the other guys there about this. I even thought about looking for some MIP CVD's that might fit. I was thinking maybe it's the design. Are MIP CVD bones all compatible to all MIP axles? If we could find an axle that matches the Tamiya... and some bones that will fit.. we could give that a try?

Anyways.... back to my research... Have fun out there Martin!

Jimmy Mac

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:41 PM   #2240
Tech Elite

A spool generally has off power push with tons of on power steering. So intially, you'll push goin into a turn with tons of steering coming out. You'll have to tune the car so gain back some intial turn in and off power steering. This is usually a good setup for technical tracks.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 05-25-2004, 04:44 PM   #2241
Tech Rookie

Martin,
You'll can't get rid of the problem. Only reduce it.

The only way to get rid of it is to make actual CVD drives which isn't realistic. What is realistic is to get it reduced enough to the point in which it's not obvious when you're running on the track. If you turn the wheels on the bench and punch the throttle, expect some serous shaking no matter what you've done to reduce the chatter.
Iniral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #2242
Tech Rookie

Almost forgot,
there is one other thing that might help reduce the chatter. If your spool out drive blades (the slot the dog bone goes in) were positioned 90 degrees from each other, this could offset the chatter effect in theory. Kinda like driving a car with tires that are off balance. Every once in a while you hit a point in which the two off balance tires seem to cancel each other out.

I have seen some cars that have no chatter on the track but some on the bench running spools. So it's not impossible.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:21 PM   #2243
Tech Elite

The Speedtech Spools are 90 from each other. I thought of that idea when doin a sandpaper diff for the Yok awhile back. But even now with the Speedtech spool the Yokomo was really bad. I'll have to mess with that car as well. The setup with the 415 right now seems to be okay/so-so on the bench with my dual rate settings like I posted above at 75-80%. I don't remember if I had this problem of not on the track when I had a TC3. Hmmm maybe we are just being anal... haha...

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
Old 05-25-2004, 05:39 PM   #2244
Tech Rookie

Because of the circumstances of the chatter, it's pretty much impossible to get rid of it on the bench. So if it's not noticable on the track but it still shakes on the bench and you're still not satisfied, you're beating a dead horse.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:39 PM   #2245
Tech Fanatic

Default spool chatter

Thanks everyone for the thoughts on how to solve the spool chatter. Sounds like we are all trying the same things here.

Well, its time to get some sleep, as my flight leaves early on wed.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:47 PM   #2246
Tech Adept
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Send a message via AIM to bainfowler

Good luck Martin we'll all be pulling for you!!!!

Andrew Fowler

PS: The new 415 looks awesome...
bainfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:26 AM   #2247
Tech Addict

hi guys!

just got my 415

i was wondering if you guys use tamiya springs on it. if not, what do you use? how about rayspeed?

also, do you guys use the stock servo saver? i've used tamiya servo savers when i started out in rc using tamiya kits, and i hated their servo savers if not, could you guys suggest any.

these questions may have already been answered previously and for that i apologise
chambalero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 02:31 AM   #2248
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to FUK_WRX Send a message via AIM to FUK_WRX Send a message via MSN to FUK_WRX Send a message via Yahoo to FUK_WRX

Quote:
Originally posted by chambalero
hi guys!

just got my 415

i was wondering if you guys use tamiya springs on it. if not, what do you use? how about rayspeed?

also, do you guys use the stock servo saver? i've used tamiya servo savers when i started out in rc using tamiya kits, and i hated their servo savers if not, could you guys suggest any.

these questions may have already been answered previously and for that i apologise
Alex,

Try the stock set up its really cool out of the box, im sur eif your running in park square or in capitol it will work, pair it with the mazda 6 body.

The standard servo is ok but its not as precise as the kimbrough unit. Also dude you got PM i want those recievers.

-Luie
FUK_WRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 03:54 AM   #2249
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by chambalero
hi guys!

just got my 415

i was wondering if you guys use tamiya springs on it. if not, what do you use?

A&E Gold, Blue and Silver will work the best for springs for the 415 if you don't want to use the Tamiya ones
9 times out of 10 you'll use the Gold springs up front and the Blue and Silver in the rear depending on track conditions and layout ....others will add more
-Dave
JDM_DOHC_SiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 10:34 AM   #2250
Tech Apprentice

Default Front Toe Blocks

Hey i was wondering why everyone is using c/a blocks on the front to give them toe out, im going to try d/b blocks to do the same thing but keeping the track width nearly the same. Im interested to know the reason (if any?)

I cant wait to the weekend, get the tamiya back on the track, who is it that said they were also in england on this forum and was at the wrexham national. im curious were you at the first national at west london as well, i was but couldnt make it all the way to wrexham. we should share some setups for the english tracks we got.

Rob
Robz is offline   Reply With Quote