R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 05-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #2206
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Paul the chassis is cut out already and above a 106/108 spur it hangs below the cutout
Old 05-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #2207
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by Difuser
Paul the chassis is cut out already and above a 106/108 spur it hangs below the cutout
I haven't gotten to build mine yet...I should have realized that!

hanging below the cutout is definately bad...
Paul_Kultcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 01:02 AM   #2208
Tech Elite

Well ran the 415 in stock again. Qualified 3rd and took the win. I wasn't the fastest car on the track, just stayed out the most trouble. The top 4 qualifiers qualified with 16laps at 5:01. That's pretty close! Anyways, car felt okay. But I'm still missing some speed somewhere. Can't seem to post a good fastest lap. I'm usually off by .5 seconds from the other guys fastest lap. But I seem to run my times more consistantly during the qualifiers. That's why I can qualify good.

Anyways, most of the guys here run spools in their TC3's. Gonna finally try that out next weekend I hope. I'll miss running the oneway. But if a spool is faster here, ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Also ended up tossing the stock black servo saver. It started to not center straight. I put on a Kimbrough Med Black Saver. Works good.

Over all I'm very pleased with this car. Very smooth. Easy to tune and feel adjustments made on the track. I'm just chasing the setup for this medium traction track. Today was slick though with the heat.

Well let me get back to tuning....

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 05:10 AM   #2209
Tech Regular

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I did the exact same thing with the servo saver - it was only after a couple of days that it would move and stay in position. No wonder it was unpredictable on the straights!

Maybe Tamiya should just include the Kimbrough ones with their kits?

Dave

Last edited by F1Junkie; 05-24-2004 at 07:04 AM.
F1Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:07 AM   #2210
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso

Quote:
Originally posted by F1Junkie
I did the exact same thing with the servo save - it was only after a couple of days that it would move and stay in position. No wonder it was unpredictable on the straights!

Maybe Tamiya should just include the Kimbrough ones with their kits?

Dave
Me as well. The black servo stay had some play in it. I ended up using the white set (TAMIYA) instead including the silver/gold springs that came with it. But still used the black servo arm that attaches to the steering tie rod. Ending up with a black/white servo saver. The result - no more play. I did notice it though with the new black servo saver & reading through the EVO3 threads when TAMIYA came out with it, there were already complaints about it (to much play) & guys were switching back to the white set or using other servo savers instead. It could be the molding design they used with the black set or the plastic material itself.
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #2211
Tech Elite

Hey guys, here's a little tip for the Hi Torque servo saver. While assembling, cut out a piece of plastic from a parts bag (e.g. a bag that motor brushes come in, spare parts, etc. ) and trim it so that it's about 2-3mm wide and approximately 7-10mm long. Then you fold it over itself two to three times. Right before sandwich the springs in with the top piece, try to cram the folded plastic plastic into the area with the notches. Then put the top piece on, then the black plastic washer piece, and then screw it onto the servo itself. This should take care of most slop and it's a free fix.

At the world's last year, I wanted to run a servo horn that I found at the Tamiya track (okay, I didn't find it at the track and it wasn't a tamiya part, it was an xray horn, but I said that I didn't know what brand it was and I found it at the track so does that make it a tamiya part? hehe) but I was called on it so I had to switch to the Hi Torque Servo Saver. This little tip kept the steering slop free.
rtypec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02 AM   #2212
Tech Regular

Default First run

Ran my 415 for the first time on sunday in the BRCA championship 27t stock class at the tight and very bumpy Wrexham track in wales. Must say i was impressed how much grip the car had with minor adjustments, all i changed was the rear springs to soft red and roll bar to the thin red one to match and added alot more droop all round.

It was noticeable i was quicker in a number of corners and just seemed to be more alittle more planted then most. What did cost me time though was the fact i was using a monster quad magnet based stock that i never did find the gearing for. I just seemed to lack punch and top speed all day long.

I ended up missing the A-final by 0.7 of a second but as it was my first BRCA event i was placed in heat 1 with all the learners and was punted off the track twice on my fastest run by cars i was lapping for a number of times so im happy i have the overall speed to make the top final.
Old 05-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #2213
Tech Initiate

Default Good Luck!

Good luck to all the guys running the 415 at the reedy race and Rod C and Corey lewis too!
Bflat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:32 PM   #2214
Tech Elite

Thanks Brian? I'll try my best not to get my doors blown off
Old 05-24-2004, 01:45 PM   #2215
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Brian, I will do my best, hopefully that is good enough
COREY LEWIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 01:52 PM   #2216
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by COREY LEWIS
I don't know lady....
According to the webpage, the gates open at 6:30. Sooooo what time are you thinking? In any event, keep your phone on this week.
Old 05-24-2004, 03:01 PM   #2217
Tech Apprentice

Well...since I won't get any sleep, I'm thinking around 5.
COREY LEWIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM   #2218
Tech Apprentice

Hey Guys,

Im new to the forum but run the TRF in england. Ive been playing with the centre pulley problem. At the moment i jam it tight but moving other pully onto it. THis doesnt lock it but restricts it which is ok with the front one way as well.

I have recently ordered the solid axle, i know i have to lock the centre properly and being an engineering student i thought of a different idea. I have ordered a spare centre non one way pulley. I am going to hack say off the grub screw section. Then file and same perfectly flat. Then drill 2 small holes for axle type pins to sit 1/2 in. DO the same holes on the original pulley and glue together. So the pulley will be held together with impact type adhesive and pinned to transfer drive. The only problem i foresee is that all the drive transmitted through one grub screwed pulley.

What do you guys think, this will not comprimise belt position or anything like this.

Could someone please post to me what was the general feeling of running b blocks or c blocks turned over at the front hinge pin mounts with original front d blocks and therfore running 1 degree or so of inboard toe out. what have people found with this.

Cheers Guys

Rob
Robz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 06:02 PM   #2219
Tech Elite

In the front I ran A block upside down with C block up front. Seems to work pretty good with alittle more steering. I also noticed my wheels chattered less when turning (mainly inside wheel). But I also run about 75-80% dual rates instead of 100% after EPA's are set.

The pulley idea should work. It was suggested a few weeks back with a drawing on how to do it. I thought about doin it as well. But I too am thinking about one tiny grub screw holding everything. I'm gonna try center oneway with spool up front first. Then I'll lock pulley later.

Have you thought about drilling a hole between the teeth on the pulley and using a grub screw in that? You'd have to thread it of course. But it might be another option.

I really don't want to cut off anything on the spur gear adapter. Especially when I can't find any spares sold online anywhere.

Hey Weekendracer, alot of guys here are having trouble running Binary Stocks here. Basically the same thing as the Epic BRCA Stock except drill balancing. But I haven't really had any trouble with them. Our track is 145 foot by 97ish foot. And I run my binary at 7.1 final. I tried 7.3 but the car slowed down. 6.8 is was slow. Might try 7.0 or 6.9. But overall I like 7.1 final. I also tune it for rpm (more rpm). What was your final?

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 08:33 PM   #2220
Tech Regular

I ended up using 112 spur and 36 pinion , forget what that worked out to off hand. Used 34 pinion and that was just too slow by half a second a lap and also tried a 37 pinion and that just killed the already weak punch.