R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-09-2010, 03:37 AM   #20881
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc3team View Post
what version have you been offered - ms/msx/msxx? As naturally, the older versions can be harder to get parts for.

the 415 will be a lighter car than the '05, simply because of its construction of being a trf chassis.
Hi,

Apologies, its a 415MS, this one in fact:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49263

I'm aware that the suspension parts are interchangeable (I think) which is cool, but 415 parts seem scarce now to say the least and I would want to get a fair few years use out of the car (not being able to afford a 416 at the moment).

Thanks!
Andysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:53 AM   #20882
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysan View Post
Hi,

Apologies, its a 415MS, this one in fact:

http://www.oople.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49263

I'm aware that the suspension parts are interchangeable (I think) which is cool, but 415 parts seem scarce now to say the least and I would want to get a fair few years use out of the car (not being able to afford a 416 at the moment).

Thanks!
Getting parts in the UK can be tricky, I would look more to overseas like rcmart as not enough UK shops support Tamiya.

The price is ok, but as you say being an older car parts can be harder to get. imo I would look out for an msx or ideally the msxx at least as they are a bit newer on design.

Im not saying the ms is a bad car because its not, but it is old now.

There's no way i'll be seeing a 416 soon either due to the price, so the next best thing imo is an msxx or the mre version.

If you are dead set on getting the ms though, make sure you have a good supply of C hubs, steering arms and driveshaft blades as I think they will be the usual things to break/wear.

the rear driveshafts might be worn too, being alloy.

The wife stops me being sane and the r/c stops me from going insane....
tc3team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:57 AM   #20883
Tech Adept

Quote:
Getting parts in the UK can be tricky, I would look more to overseas like rcmart as not enough UK shops support Tamiya.

The price is ok, but as you say being an older car parts can be harder to get. imo I would look out for an msx or ideally the msxx at least as they are a bit newer on design.

Im not saying the ms is a bad car because its not, but it is old now.

There's no way i'll be seeing a 416 soon either due to the price, so the next best thing imo is an msxx or the mre version.

If you are dead set on getting the ms though, make sure you have a good supply of C hubs, steering arms and driveshaft blades as I think they will be the usual things to break/wear.

the rear driveshafts might be worn too, being alloy.

OK, thanks for your reply.

I've got a Speed Passion ESC coming which should make my TA05 a lot quicker (all of the competition are running dynamic-timing speedos now) so until that arrives its not fair to simply say that my TA05 is so much slower solely due to the chassis.

Best bet based on what you say is probably to look at a 3Racing chassis for the reduced weight, or perhaps keep an eye out for a more recent 415 but I think it would probably be foolish to buy into the car at this late stage.

Thanks for your time and advice, hope yours continues to serve you well.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:09 AM   #20884
Tech Champion

Quote:
OK, thanks for your reply.

I've got a Speed Passion ESC coming which should make my TA05 a lot quicker (all of the competition are running dynamic-timing speedos now) so until that arrives its not fair to simply say that my TA05 is so much slower solely due to the chassis.

Best bet based on what you say is probably to look at a 3Racing chassis for the reduced weight, or perhaps keep an eye out for a more recent 415 but I think it would probably be foolish to buy into the car at this late stage.

Thanks for your time and advice, hope yours continues to serve you well.
having owned a ta05 with the 3racing chassis and towers, it is a good indoor carpet car, but not so good outdoors imo as the chassis is thick, so there is not enough flex for lower grip racing.

if you havnt seen it already, the changes the 415 had as its design progressed are here if it helps with deciding:

http://www.thard.co.uk/415/415info.html

the reason why i mention to go for the msx at least is because the diff's are easier to get to from that model onwards. 4 screws and you are in...

thanks ive had my msxx for about 2 years now i think using either 27t or 13.5, all ive replaced are front C hubs, steering arms and driveshaft outblades.

I think you could find an msxx for about 130 as a guess if you looked hard.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 AM   #20885
Tech Adept

OK, well I have two TA05's and am quite happy with the car besides its weight. Mostly run indoors on carpet but do some tarmac racing too so maybe buy a carbon fibre chassis for the carpet running and keep the second car for outdoors.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:25 AM   #20886
Tech Champion

Quote:
OK, well I have two TA05's and am quite happy with the car besides its weight. Mostly run indoors on carpet but do some tarmac racing too so maybe buy a carbon fibre chassis for the carpet running and keep the second car for outdoors.
the ta05 is the more durable car on carpet but the 415 will usually be a bit quicker when setup well.

a titanium screw set/turnbuckles might help shave a little bit of weight off. Oh and a lighter centre pulley if the R doesnt come with these already.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:27 AM   #20887
Tech Adept

Quote:
the ta05 is the more durable car on carpet but the 415 will usually be a bit quicker when setup well.

a titanium screw set/turnbuckles might help shave a little bit of weight off. Oh and a lighter centre pulley if the R doesnt come with these already.
Thanks, yeah I've currently got a titanium screw set and alloy motor mount as that seems quite weighty, plus the lightweight chassis too. Was running the IFS style suspension on my second car but reverted it as it didnt feel quite right. Shame as it looks awesome!
Old 07-09-2010, 04:41 AM   #20888
Tech Champion

Quote:
Thanks, yeah I've currently got a titanium screw set and alloy motor mount as that seems quite weighty, plus the lightweight chassis too. Was running the IFS style suspension on my second car but reverted it as it didnt feel quite right. Shame as it looks awesome!
Cool, the ifs isnt to everyones liking, mine is the standard ta05 with the graphite 3racing V1 chassis, trf shocks and toe blocks.

definately worth using one indoors and one outdoors so you dont scrape up both chassis and changing setups although I prefer racing indoors.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:54 AM   #20889
Tech Adept

Quote:
Cool, the ifs isnt to everyones liking, mine is the standard ta05 with the graphite 3racing V1 chassis, trf shocks and toe blocks.

definately worth using one indoors and one outdoors so you dont scrape up both chassis and changing setups although I prefer racing indoors.
Despite being in my second season of outdoor racing I still cant get used to it and reach any level of consistency. I'm naturally a very agressive driver which isnt a problem on carpet but I tend to spin the wheels too much coming out of the corners unless I really focus. Went from coming 2nd in the B Final Stock a few weeks ago to last but two overall last time out!
Old 07-09-2010, 05:05 AM   #20890
Tech Champion

Quote:
Despite being in my second season of outdoor racing I still cant get used to it and reach any level of consistency. I'm naturally a very agressive driver which isnt a problem on carpet but I tend to spin the wheels too much coming out of the corners unless I really focus. Went from coming 2nd in the B Final Stock a few weeks ago to last but two overall last time out!
i'm in a very similar situation, im not smooth enough on the throttle to enjoy outdoor racing. I like the grip indoors and not having to find it, plus most of my racing years have been indoors.

oh and your chassis doesnt get scratched up indoors

Old 07-09-2010, 05:06 AM   #20891
Tech Adept

Quote:
i'm in a very similar situation, im not smooth enough on the throttle to enjoy outdoor racing. I like the grip indoors and not having to find it, plus most of my racing years have been indoors.

oh and your chassis doesnt get scratched up indoors
haha sounds like we were separated at birth! You UK based per chance, dont happen to run the TORC series do you?
Old 07-09-2010, 05:11 AM   #20892
Tech Champion

Quote:
haha sounds like we were separated at birth! You UK based per chance, dont happen to run the TORC series do you?

lol, no im from down south. I race at Horsham club. we're about the only club left in the uk that run foam. (And im the only guy there now with a Tamiya).

well, you can use rubber if you want, but you'll be a few laps down...

Old 07-09-2010, 05:16 AM   #20893
Tech Adept

Quote:
lol, no im from down south. I race at Horsham club. we're about the only club left in the uk that run foam. (And im the only guy there now with a Tamiya).

well, you can use rubber if you want, but you'll be a few laps down...
haha sounds good, perhaps bump into you if the TORC ever heads south then.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:18 AM   #20894
Tech Champion

Quote:
haha sounds good, perhaps bump into you if the TORC ever heads south then.

yeah maybe, who knows....

Doubt I will ever have time to, but i'd like to race at Maritime raceway somewhen, thats a huge carpet track if i've ever seen one!

Old 07-09-2010, 05:30 AM   #20895
Tech Adept

Quote:
yeah maybe, who knows....

Doubt I will ever have time to, but i'd like to race at Maritime raceway somewhen, thats a huge carpet track if i've ever seen one!
Wow, would love to race there - Midlands is a bit far away though

www.dudleyradiocarclub.co.uk