R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-09-2009, 12:07 PM   #20281
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Will taking right side only apply for us as well I couldn't help myself. I had to throw that out there

This Saturday will be my first asphalt rac with the 415. I can't wait. I'll be running at Speedworld (home of the 08 & 09 Reedy Race) I'm torn between running Marc's 07 Reedy set up and Corey's set up. If feel like a girl trying to decide who I'm going to the dance with
I might just have to come out and see whats going on LOL. more testing for stlnlst?

Whos all going out this weekend? Sat or sun?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #20282
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Will taking right side only apply for us as well I couldn't help myself. I had to throw that out there

This Saturday will be my first asphalt rac with the 415. I can't wait. I'll be running at Speedworld (home of the 08 & 09 Reedy Race) I'm torn between running Marc's 07 Reedy set up and Corey's set up. If feel like a girl trying to decide who I'm going to the dance with

Well you DO like to wear dress's!!!!

I'd say get the setup Pedro ran in his last qual. at last years REEDY. He was fast then.

"On-road is racing.. off-road is 50% competitive jumping and 50% crash avoidance"...
Scott B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:26 PM   #20283
Tech Champion

Quote:

Good luck ..... wishing you all the best.
asw7576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:40 PM   #20284
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
Sorry to ask a silly question......

Recently I just completed a race....... during heat 1 to 3, my car was fish tailing alot, especially in S chicane corner : I can enter the right turn but loose traction completely on the left turn and fish tailing on the exit. ..... So I asked my friends what setup to minimise the fish tailing problem on quick S corner, but their suggestions were not cure my problems at all. One friend mentioned to use brand new tires, but I was stinggy and I keep using paragon.

I finally gave up after driving in Final #1...... and I decided to change rear tires. Luckily I found slightly used tires in my RC bag. So I gave them paragon and use them for rear tires. HALLELUJAH !! Suddenly I can blast off leaving my rivals and finished 1st ?? ..... ( I'm in group B , not A ..... I'm not that good driver ).

So, is there great car setup for old tires, OR, definetely they are not exist in electric racing ?

Sorry friends, I'm nitro guys...... I'm lack of knowledge in rubber tires business. Thank you for sharing ideas .
follow your manual instruction book as a first reference, don't change any set up and follow the manual setting. If i might ask what differential do you used in the front? you should ditch your 1 way and change it into spool that way you have ability to brake especially in mod class.......... I remember i had a close race with you, one corner to the right, i was inside the line i able to brake to take that corner i think you might using front 1 way.

As for the Tires i use sorex 40R with much more aqua insert that tire already been used for 2 race meeting i still got amount of grip in front and rear. i got tendency under steer, so i paragon the whole front tire and 1/2 rear tire inner side.
You can ask me in the track mate, i was in the same heat with you i saw your car a little unstable after exiting corner ......... you should soften your rear suspension using lower oil shock so your car doesn't slide that much.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:03 PM   #20285
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAG_ON View Post
follow your manual instruction book as a first reference, don't change any set up and follow the manual setting. If i might ask what differential do you used in the front? you should ditch your 1 way and change it into spool that way you have ability to brake especially in mod class.......... I remember i had a close race with you, one corner to the right, i was inside the line i able to brake to take that corner i think you might using front 1 way.

As for the Tires i use sorex 40R with much more aqua insert that tire already been used for 2 race meeting i still got amount of grip in front and rear. i got tendency under steer, so i paragon the whole front tire and 1/2 rear tire inner side.
You can ask me in the track mate, i was in the same heat with you i saw your car a little unstable after exiting corner ......... you should soften your rear suspension using lower oil shock so your car doesn't slide that much.

Thank you drag on. My car was doing fine after rear tires changed.

From now on...... I plan to use fresh tires for rear everytime I race, and I use whatever I have tires for front. That way I'm still economical on racing budget

BTW, I have 7.5R brushless motor and 79T (48p) Spur Gear. What pinion gear do you suggest ? .... I forget the FDR for 7.5R motor. Thank you for reminding me.

Last edited by asw7576; 03-09-2009 at 11:15 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 PM   #20286
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I thought I'd share a solution I came up with for mounting my Orion 3800 Lipos with the bumps on the bottom.

Since the outside edges of the bumps are rounded they didn't really hold very well in the slots.

So I placed the battery so that the flat inside edge of the bumps was on the outside edge of the chassis.

Got a 3/4 piece of metal that's roughly 2.5mm think and cut out some slot fillers.

Now the battery is firmly caught between the outside of the chassis and my plates I glued to the bottom of the battery. Really helps the tape hold it in place.

[IMG] [/IMG]
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #20287
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
I thought I'd share a solution I came up with for mounting my Orion 3800 Lipos with the bumps on the bottom.

Since the outside edges of the bumps are rounded they didn't really hold very well in the slots.

So I placed the battery so that the flat inside edge of the bumps was on the outside edge of the chassis.

Got a 3/4 piece of metal that's roughly 2.5mm think and cut out some slot fillers.

Now the battery is firmly caught between the outside of the chassis and my plates I glued to the bottom of the battery. Really helps the tape hold it in place.

[IMG] [/IMG]

You have good ideas on that one by gluing 6 pieces of metal
1. I don't need dremeling graphite chassis's battery slots.
2. I don't need dremeling rear alluminium bulkhead
3. I can use bigger Mah battery like 5000Mah, because the battery location is extended outside the chassis.

However, there are some negatives by placing the battery like that.
1. The mass of the car is not centered, so I don't know the handling of the car would become when the battery is extended outside the chassis.
2. The battery is prone to side impact.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:17 AM   #20288
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by asw7576 View Post
You have good ideas on that one by gluing 6 pieces of metal
1. I don't need dremeling graphite chassis's battery slots.
2. I don't need dremeling rear alluminium bulkhead
3. I can use bigger Mah battery like 5000Mah, because the battery location is extended outside the chassis.

However, there are some negatives by placing the battery like that.
1. The mass of the car is not centered, so I don't know the handling of the car would become when the battery is extended outside the chassis.
2. The battery is prone to side impact.

I thought about the side impact, hopefully it will be ok.But also remember the chances of anything that would have hit the battery to actually hit right on the chassis are slim. For example a T-bone in a race, most likely that car is hitting the battery either way.

Actually I think I'll achieve a better balance. Remember the car was designed with NiMH in mind which are much heavier. By moving the weight out gives it a longer moment arm, which should allow less weight to be used to balance everything on the other side. Also, by not using the weight plates that are out right now, I can put my weights wear I want.

We'll see what happens
Old 03-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #20289
r_s
Tech Initiate

Quote:
I thought about the side impact, hopefully it will be ok.But also remember the chances of anything that would have hit the battery to actually hit right on the chassis are slim. For example a T-bone in a race, most likely that car is hitting the battery either way.

Actually I think I'll achieve a better balance. Remember the car was designed with NiMH in mind which are much heavier. By moving the weight out gives it a longer moment arm, which should allow less weight to be used to balance everything on the other side. Also, by not using the weight plates that are out right now, I can put my weights wear I want.

We'll see what happens
i also did the same thing. but i use small double sided tape instead of metal plate attached on the bottom of lipo.

and yes u are right about the car balance. i put the weights on the center of chassis, near the belt. so basically the mass of the car is centered enough. and it is easier to balance the car left to right because so much space to place the weights.

however, what asw7576 said about "side impact" is right. the problem is when you use glass tape to secure the lipo, it doesnt hold the center of the lipo. so when your car get hit or crashed, the glass tape is easier to tear off.

I also tried to dremel the bulkhead and put the lipo inside. but i found difficulty in placing the weights and balance the car left to right. (i dont want to place the weights on the lipo)
r_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #20290
Tech Master

[QUOTE=r_s;5542704
however, what asw7576 said about "side impact" is right. the problem is when you use glass tape to secure the lipo, it doesnt hold the center of the lipo. so when your car get hit or crashed, the glass tape is easier to tear off.

[/QUOTE]

Ah but that's going to be solved in my next set of pictures. I have two extra posts which I've mounted up and I'm going to make a battery hold down sort of like the optional one for XRay 08's.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #20291
r_s
Tech Initiate

nice solution..
please post a pic after u finish attaching that battery hold down..
r_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:08 AM   #20292
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

so some little problems

my rear diff gets loose every few runs ??

i have built it as per the instructions after adding new outdrives

any tips ??
sidecarphil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 02:15 PM   #20293
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidecarphil1 View Post
so some little problems

my rear diff gets loose every few runs ??

i have built it as per the instructions after adding new outdrives

any tips ??

When is the last time you replaced the diff screw and nut? If it's fairly new then I would try a drop of blue locktite on the screw.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:08 AM   #20294
Tech Master

Quote:
Ah but that's going to be solved in my next set of pictures. I have two extra posts which I've mounted up and I'm going to make a battery hold down sort of like the optional one for XRay 08's.
why dont you use this instead? less modification and you can put brick type LIPO 5000 or more
http://www.redrc.net/2009/01/atomic-...rotection-box/
Old 03-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #20295
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The car was ki;;er yesterday and I only see it getting better for the next time out. I made a bunch of changes throughout the day and the car kept getting better and better. If found my self getting closer and closer to Marcs Reedy race set up from 07. I will put the whole set up on for the next time out. This car is awesome.
STLNLST is offline   Reply With Quote