R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-2007, 04:14 AM   #19246
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 380
Default

Anybody running 13.5T brushless, if so what sort of size spur gear are you using ?
thanks
Andyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:18 AM   #19247
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants View Post
what spool will fit the car? do tamiya do one with steel outdrives?
This works fine

http://demonpowerproducts.co.uk/prod...roducts_id=262
Andyg01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:49 AM   #19248
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants View Post
I have recently brought an MSXX. What are the part numbers for the items to do the 18t locked pulley conversion? and also what spool will fit the car? do tamiya do one with steel outdrives?

I think Ed's site covers the topics in question but the pages don't display :-(

Cheers
Matt
You will need:
Center:
TA-3454395 Tamiya TRF415 Direct Center Shaft
TA-50589 Tamiya All Car 5mm E-clip

Spool:
Tamiya delrin:
TA-3454401 Tamiya TRF415 Direct Holder
TA-9804268 Tamiya TRF415 Direct Cups
TA-9804267 Tamiya TRF415 Direct Coupling
TA-53500 Cross joints for universals, just need the pins if you dont have any spare ones

JAAD steel:
JDR41502 JAAD Racing TRF415 Alum. Front Spool with Hard Coated Anti Rust Steel Joint Cups (Requires Ball Diff Pulley)
TA-53935 Ball diff pulley

18T Conversion:
TA-53989 Tamiya TRF501X Center Pulley (18T)
HBS-70738 Hot Bodies Cyclone/CS Front Belt 169T
XR-305442 Xray rear belt
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #19249
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 321
Default

Thanks for the reply Mr Orange!
Smartypants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #19250
Tech Master
 
TRF415boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal View Post
Black grease on the diff balls and plates? Does it work well?
not black grease, white grease but the one with the black label.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM   #19251
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Talking RE: AE grease, etc. etc.

Black , Red , White their all good. The Tamiya diff grease seems to be a little too thin for me.
Myself I haven't had any problems with the ceramic balls.

Diffuser,
How is it up North, had a major heat wave after you left, guess you took the weather with you!
That's all Timmy is talking about is going to Seattle for the regionals. Once Fred posts the schedule we'll know when about to make plans!
Was this year in April?
Max
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 PM   #19252
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 2,520
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

If you use ceramic balls you need to scuff the diff rings otherwise the balls will slide across the rings and not grip. You'll have to tighten your diff really tight to keep it from slipping. The diff won't work well like that and will get notchy very quick. Sanding the rings and adding ceramics make for a really smooth diff
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #19253
Super Moderator
 
Grizzbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sand Springs, OK
Posts: 3,063
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyuk99 View Post
Anybody running 13.5T brushless, if so what sort of size spur gear are you using ?
thanks
Yes, I am, but the size of spur you might need will depend on the size of the track you run on. For me, I run on a med-small track, so I don't need to gear it to the moon, & as such I'm using a 96 tooth spur right now(also tried a 104 tooth, but found I was needing my biggest pinions with it so I pared down a bit). And for a bigger place like S & N's Trackside in Milwaukee(home of the Novak USTC race), I'll likely use an 88 tooth spur, 'cause I'll need to gear as tall as I can go(most likely)....
__________________
Bob Seay
Tamiya TRF417, TA05v.2, TRF211XM, M-05ver.2R, XRAY X12, Associated B5m Factory Lite

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 03:35 PM   #19254
Tech Champion
 
TryHard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sydney, NSW
Posts: 5,284
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartypants View Post
I have recently brought an MSXX. What are the part numbers for the items to do the 18t locked pulley conversion? and also what spool will fit the car? do tamiya do one with steel outdrives?

I think Ed's site covers the topics in question but the pages don't display :-(

Cheers
Matt
They are on their way... honest... just been busy, but have them up there as a teaser
__________________
| THard.co.uk | Xray | MuchMore |
TryHard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM   #19255
Tech Master
 
maxepower's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Aliso Viejo, Calif.
Posts: 1,633
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation MSXX set-up and etc.etc. etc.

Has anyone tried the MSXX lower deck on the original MSX? I heard a rumor that Mark Rhienard preferred this combo at the REEDY RACE to the MSXX because of the steering. So, he liked the original steering instead of the new EVO 5.
I just put the lower deck on my MSX and had to mod the bumper bracket a little but that was a piece of cake. Everything else lined up beautifully.
I'm going to try it out this weekend using my MSX set-up and see what happens? Any set-up suggestions would be appreciated. I heard that the 2mm lower deck is good for low to medium traction asphalt!
Inquiring minds want to know!
Note: Rumor has it that the "TRF-416" is in the works and will be out maybe around Christmas! Any insider info or pictures of what it will look like?
maxepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM   #19256
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Auburn, Wa
Posts: 2,265
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Max this year was April and I would assume we will be around the same time again. With the big ???'s over TA you might HAVE to travel as a SoCal Regional could be tough.....

I know Doug really wants to be the host track if TA is gone by this time next year.
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 02:43 AM   #19257
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Lund, Sweden
Posts: 159
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Has anyone tried the MSXX lower deck on the original MSX? I heard a rumor that Mark Rhienard preferred this combo at the REEDY RACE to the MSXX because of the steering. So, he liked the original steering instead of the new EVO 5.
I just put the lower deck on my MSX and had to mod the bumper bracket a little but that was a piece of cake. Everything else lined up beautifully.
I'm going to try it out this weekend using my MSX set-up and see what happens? Any set-up suggestions would be appreciated. I heard that the 2mm lower deck is good for low to medium traction asphalt!
Inquiring minds want to know!
Note: Rumor has it that the "TRF-416" is in the works and will be out maybe around Christmas! Any insider info or pictures of what it will look like?
I have the msxx lower deck on my msx. Before I had a papa rheinard custom made 2 mm chassis built for the 05 euros on the car. The car feels more planted in the front end with the msxx chassis. If you put a msx chassi on top on msxx (or mre) chassi you will notice that msxx chassis is wider in front end. This makes for less flex in the front end and a more balanced car (the rear bulkhead assembly is way to stiff, this is why they cut the upperbrace and mill under motor bulkhead). The car that Marc used at the reedy was actually the car that Victor won the andernach race with 2 weeks earlier. This is also how they found out about the diff mod, it was on Viktors car first (a guy here made them for him, not tamiya). Eirik posted Viktors setups in this thread a couple of months ago, reedy post 18663 and andernach post 18665.
Mr_Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 07:04 AM   #19258
Tech Elite
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Orange View Post
I have the msxx lower deck on my msx. Before I had a papa rheinard custom made 2 mm chassis built for the 05 euros on the car. The car feels more planted in the front end with the msxx chassis. If you put a msx chassi on top on msxx (or mre) chassi you will notice that msxx chassis is wider in front end. This makes for less flex in the front end and a more balanced car (the rear bulkhead assembly is way to stiff, this is why they cut the upperbrace and mill under motor bulkhead). The car that Marc used at the reedy was actually the car that Victor won the andernach race with 2 weeks earlier. This is also how they found out about the diff mod, it was on Viktors car first (a guy here made them for him, not tamiya). Eirik posted Viktors setups in this thread a couple of months ago, reedy post 18663 and andernach post 18665.
Mr Orange,
I've been away for a while. What's the "diff mod" you mentioned in this post?
__________________
Quinn Moon

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #19259
Tech Master
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: SAN DIEGO
Posts: 1,127
Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default

See post # 19091 for all the info.
patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 08:10 AM   #19260
Tech Master
 
TRF415boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,857
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxepower View Post
Has anyone tried the MSXX lower deck on the original MSX? I heard a rumor that Mark Rhienard preferred this combo at the REEDY RACE to the MSXX because of the steering. So, he liked the original steering instead of the new EVO 5.
I just put the lower deck on my MSX and had to mod the bumper bracket a little but that was a piece of cake. Everything else lined up beautifully.
I'm going to try it out this weekend using my MSX set-up and see what happens? Any set-up suggestions would be appreciated. I heard that the 2mm lower deck is good for low to medium traction asphalt!
Inquiring minds want to know!
Note: Rumor has it that the "TRF-416" is in the works and will be out maybe around Christmas! Any insider info or pictures of what it will look like?
I have ran both steerings on my MSX that has the MSXX chassis. I can't tell a difference between them. The only advantage of the new steering is the fact that you can change the ackermann. But I use mine with an ackermann setup very similar to the original steering...
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAMIYA TRF415 Xray XB8 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 32 04-04-2008 08:50 PM
Tamiya TRF415 Crashmaster R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 12-13-2006 04:48 PM
Tamiya TRF415 MS NIB koabich R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 11-11-2005 07:28 AM
F/S Tamiya TRF415 rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 06-10-2005 09:02 PM
Tamiya Evo IV or TRF415 TheDevil Electric On-Road 23 10-15-2004 07:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:58 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net