R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-30-2007, 10:12 PM   #18961
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Because there is not diff in between you are forcing the CVD's to turn at the same speed at different directions. Spool, though is easier to drive, puts alot of pressure on the cvds and the bearings.

The only way to reduce the chatter is by reducing D/R using spool. Or use a diff/oneway

I also noticed that some CVDs can work at larger angles than the others. for example the tamiya steel ones I have on the mre dont like to work after 38 degrees. when I go above 40 it sounds as if the car is going to explode.

I have Titaniım racing ones as well. They dont last long but can be used at around 42 degrees. but be careful. you push these light weight babies a little too much and you will find yourself out of the race in a jiffy...

make sure you check the set screw in the cvd before each race (or after each race)
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:54 PM   #18962
Tech Adept

Thanks for the info !

But when the car is on the car stand and the wheel is not touching the ground, the left and right front wheel should be at the same speed.

I think probably the CVD is the problem when the angle is too big, but without the wheels on, it sounds OK though even at max angle, maybe due to no load. The weight of the wheel just make is worst.
afung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 05:19 AM   #18963
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Had the same problem with the spool. I changed the delrin outdrives and that fixed the problem.........
habis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:04 AM   #18964
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumanji View Post
Does anyone have the part# or a link for the aluminum bearing holder that holds the layshaft(the one that the spur is mounted on). Mine is the TRF415MSX and its made out of plastic. Its beginning to have a lot of play in it.

Hope I aske the question correctly...

part number is #9804263

but then you need the alluminum upper brace for MSXX/MRE 3454404
Old 07-31-2007, 09:44 AM   #18965
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by afung1 View Post
Thanks for the info !

But when the car is on the car stand and the wheel is not touching the ground, the left and right front wheel should be at the same speed.

I think probably the CVD is the problem when the angle is too big, but without the wheels on, it sounds OK though even at max angle, maybe due to no load. The weight of the wheel just make is worst.
when you put the car on the stand and run it if the tires are wobbling with out turning then your axles are bent or your tires are out of balance (maybe both)

With the spool up front all the pieces are stressed to the max. make sure you check bearings and the knuckle as well. I hate the 5x9 bearings they are so useless... miss the old 5x11....
Toughbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:42 AM   #18966
Tech Addict

does anyone have a extra 2.5mm stock chassis want to sell?
1shnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 09:12 AM   #18967
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by afung1 View Post
Thanks for the info !

This must be the 5th time I answer this question on this thread, I wish sometimes people tried to perform a search before asking...

Anyway the chatter comes from the fact that the driveshafts aren't true CVD (Constant Velocity Drive). So when you turn the wheels, even in the air, while appliyng throttle, the wheels will not spin at a constant speed, but will vary between a low and a high peak speed every half turn. This doesn't get detected when there is no wheel because the axle's weight is very low, but when a wheel is attached and thus a more important moment of intertia applied, you can hear the driveshaft's pins hit the outdrive back and forth.

On the track this doesn't affect the car much if a front diff or a one way is used, but if a spool is fitted on the car, you will hear it and lose steering. The solution has been to use delrin outdrives which adsorb most of the chattering and therefore bring a bit more steering back to the car.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #18968
Tech Adept

Thanks again for your explaination. I guess the chatter is normal then for a spool car.

I am new to this so I did tried to search but some thread like this one has 600+ pages is hard to scan through. Thanks again for your answer.
afung1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:09 PM   #18969
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default foams

I have an MSX, and i want to run foams on it!!! i know the stock uprights/steering knuckles do not fit foams...i'm wondering what uprights will work with the light weight suspension?

I hear the HPI pro 3/4 uprights are a direct fit and make room for foams, is this true? and if it is do they use the same size bearing?

any help on what i should do would be great.

cheers
darchard123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:07 PM   #18970
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default help

can anyone help?
darchard123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 PM   #18971
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Burlap

I've run Urfa (I think that is the brand) foamies on my 415 without any issues with the Tamiya uprights. I think they were 23mm wide from memory.
Burlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 08:57 PM   #18972
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by darchard123 View Post
I have an MSX, and i want to run foams on it!!! i know the stock uprights/steering knuckles do not fit foams...i'm wondering what uprights will work with the light weight suspension?

I hear the HPI pro 3/4 uprights are a direct fit and make room for foams, is this true? and if it is do they use the same size bearing?

any help on what i should do would be great.

cheers
Do a search in this thread. There is plenty of info on it here. You can even search my name with the word foam and or hpi. I'm just too lazy to retype the info and post the pics. But it is here. You can run Jaco 26mm foams with no mods to the stock suspension.

Yokomo YRX12
Tamiya TB03
JimmyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 09:40 AM   #18973
Tech Adept

Just want to hear your opinion/experience on the different versions of the 415 model vs different track conditions.
Reading this forum, with people using the models under different conditions it would great to hear your experience as my local experience and rc buddies has strong opinions on the capability on the different 415 models and under different conditions.

I have been running the 415, 415msx,415 MSX MRE, 415msxx and now starting to try out my new darling the TA05MS.

What works best on asphalt/rubber, carpet/rubber or carpet/foam.

My experience is that he 415 is superior on high grip carpet/rubber but that the model is falling behind the newer versions of the x-ray and HB. Then again the MSXX is superior on low grip(non sugarcoated) asphalt and will handle better and faster than any of the other 415īs.
Then again my experience is the MRE is inferior to all on rubber/carpet as the wider chassis plate slows it down and cant handle the tight corners on the smaller carpet tracks.

comments.............
Old 08-02-2007, 10:42 AM   #18974
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

re: foams on msxx

first: the msxx is going to be terrible for carpet, the chassis and top plate are too thin, really even for a decent bite asphalt track as well

second: search this thread for HPI hubs knuckles as we have listed the parts mant times, they run the hard suspension as well....
JayL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:00 PM   #18975
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Jam-ehz

I myself just run the standard suspension in the front, works with 28mm foams well enough. Just cut off the top of the camber link ballcup to avoid a bit of rubbing. I actually used the Evo IV kingpin on the top, just reamed a hole into the upright so it'd sink lower, underneath the rim. The arms are stronger, the bearings are bigger, takes a licking..

Otherwise, opt for the Pro4/Cyclone hubs. The only thing is you'll need are 5x10mm bearings (the ones on the M-03M). Because the bearings are wider than the 5x9's, you'll need universal axles from the standard suspension, as the LWS axles are too short.
Jam-ehz is offline   Reply With Quote