Search
Like Tree3Likes

Tamiya TRF415

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TryHard
agreed.. personally, I feel the MSXX might be too thin and the extra flex may cause issues.. but thats my opinion. One advantage though will be 0.5mm lower roll centre all round.

Regards
Ed
I race mainly outdoors on asphalt, so the extra flex would be nice.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

what is the differences from msx to mre steering aside from that the mre steering is much lower.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The ackerman on the system is completely different, plus this is tuneable with shims behind the mounting ball stud. This makes a big difference in how the car steers.
Personally, I prefer it to the old system, and am now making more use of the ability to change the steering with the spacers.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:21 AM
pme
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TryHard
The ackerman on the system is completely different, plus this is tuneable with shims behind the mounting ball stud. This makes a big difference in how the car steers.
Personally, I prefer it to the old system, and am now making more use of the ability to change the steering with the spacers.
what will be the effect of the shims in the steering? like more shims from less shims? you mean that the old steering in msx is much better?
Old 04-30-2007, 02:24 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ed, Thanks for the help that you gave me at the STCC yesterday, although I didnt get the car dialed it certainly gave me plenty of things to look at when I next test at a tight twisty circuit.

Cheers

Leigh
Old 04-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by pme
what will be the effect of the shims in the steering? like more shims from less shims? you mean that the old steering in msx is much better?
More shims should give more steering. I found that with the original spacing on the car, mid corner speed was lacking.
The reasoning on this I have is that the ackerman angle is quite big with that setup, which means that the angle of the inside wheel scrubs speed... useful with mod (where it helps to make the car more stable on corner entry), not so good in stock or 19t, where keeping corner speed up is key. Adding more reduces the angle (I believe), making the inside wheel go from scrubbing to gripping... Thats my theory anyway
I prefer the new system, at the very least, it has less slop than the old, and is more adjustable.

Leigh; glad I could help, apologies for not remembering to mention resetting the droop, would have had an effect on the car. Still, hopefully it's given you some pointers to go faster

Regards
Ed
Old 04-30-2007, 06:19 AM
Tech Regular

There is life in the old dog yet

Dusted off my old TRF415 ( oldest version ) for a club day at bedworth ( UK ) and i was more than surprised just how well the car went. Managed to set a new personal best in the 19t class by some nine seconds despite not racing for at least seven months and having cells that would not even take a charge when i tried them last friday.

Sadly the wornout TiR spool i was running let me down in both finals when running strongly , just got a tamiya spool which i will admit looks a far better bit of kit.

I had forgot how much fun racing can be .

Tempted to get a MRE but spares in the UK or lack of them are abit of a concern.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Don't be put off by lack of spares in the UK, as there are plenty of shops that stock TRF415 parts, and there is allways the option of ordering from Hong Kong and Japan, I have found that on occasion the parts can get here quicker from HK and Japan than from local suppliers!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 315 (100%+)

You think the UK has no parts, mate Australia has sweet FA Tamiya bits unless it's a TT01!
Old 04-30-2007, 09:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weekendracer_uk
Tempted to get a MRE but spares in the UK or lack of them are abit of a concern.
I haven't broke a thing on my MRE (had it since October). Still on the original belts, original bearings, wishbones etc. All i've replaced are the steering hubs because they tend to strip easily. DemonPowerProducts and Microtech seem to be carrying a lot more spares now but if you ever need spares order from RcChamp. They get here in less than a week .

Charles
Old 04-30-2007, 09:22 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Has anyone used TiR CVDS with the MRE? Thinking about picking up a set but found no reviews with them on MRE. Lot of info on TiR Spools though
Old 04-30-2007, 12:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

TiR errrr well i know i wouldn't get them after what i've seen . Spools break and driveshaft pins break, they can't even make a pinion right, grub screw doesn't go in enough on the one and only TiR pinion i've got. I'd just stick to the standard driveshafts as they work fine

Charles
Old 05-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

A Touch Harsh Charles, I run Tir CVD's on both my MRE's and have had no problems what so ever, nice and smooth and they dont wear like the kit CVD's do.

I however would agree with you on all other aspects of Tir products as they are poo, the screws are made of Toffee and the pinions are incorrectly manufactured, and not forgetting the best bit, the customer service is by far the worst that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Another big thankyou to Ed tried all the things that you suggested for the carpet car and it just kept getting better all night long, have got a couple more things to try on sunday, Changing the Ackerman had the most effect, and moving the top link just made it even better.

Great job there, and thanks again.

Leigh
Old 05-01-2007, 02:09 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Mi2_Tastic
A Touch Harsh Charles, I run Tir CVD's on both my MRE's and have had no problems what so ever, nice and smooth and they dont wear like the kit CVD's do.

I however would agree with you on all other aspects of Tir products as they are poo, the screws are made of Toffee and the pinions are incorrectly manufactured, and not forgetting the best bit, the customer service is by far the worst that I have ever had the displeasure of experiencing.

Another big thankyou to Ed tried all the things that you suggested for the carpet car and it just kept getting better all night long, have got a couple more things to try on sunday, Changing the Ackerman had the most effect, and moving the top link just made it even better.

Great job there, and thanks again.

Leigh
Glad I could help Always nice to have a chat with people about the cars... even better to see them getting faster following it
Old 05-01-2007, 07:17 AM
Tech Regular

Ohhhh interesting , i emailed champ about getting a TRF415 and they dont have any in any spec and not expecting to get any more from Tamiya either. Seems the 415 may have been killed off and a TAO5 MS is being launched soon instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.