R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-27-2007, 07:14 PM   #17971
Tech Apprentice

Default re

The more akerman u run in ur car the more steering u will have. Now it depends on what surface/tire u use that will determine how much u want or need. For outdoor rubber, more akerman is needed to get as much steering as possble. espacially with spools! Now for indoor foam(which i run alot) we try to eliminate as much akerman as we can. We are now running our steering plate flipped upside down(less akerman) so its more like a T2 or losi. We have found this smooth's out the car alot, but with minimal steering loss. With this setup ur no longer dragging the inside front wheel mid corner which is not good for foam....tends to cause snap oversteer! U may find u have to adjust ur car for these changes but once again depends totally on what u run on. hope this helps!

TAMIYA- www.tamiya.ca
LRP- www.lrp-electronic.de
Reedy batteries
Protoform- www.pro-lineracing.com
Parma- www.parmapse.com
APS racing- www.aps-racing.net
www.muchhobby.com
TRFwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:23 PM   #17972
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to rctouringracer

Thanks TRFwhitey,
I will be running rubber tires on asphalt, the reason I ask is because I just purchased this MSX, retiring my TRF414m2 which I had installed a spool in and could not figure out how to get the steering back I lost after removing the one-way. I am installing a spool in the new car and want to make sure I can get as much steering as possible. Any other suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks
rctouringracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 01:52 AM   #17973
Tech Master

Although running more ackerman won't exactly make your car faster through the turns, especially with a spool. I've found that it may scrub off corner speed, because its overturning the car. This is just from my experience.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:46 AM   #17974
Tech Master

What are your thoughts about running a front diff?
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #17975
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by rctouringracer
What are your thoughts about running a front diff?
Don't unless you're running FOAM.
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:02 AM   #17976
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks TRFwhitey,
I will be running rubber tires on asphalt, the reason I ask is because I just purchased this MSX, retiring my TRF414m2 which I had installed a spool in and could not figure out how to get the steering back I lost after removing the one-way. I am installing a spool in the new car and want to make sure I can get as much steering as possible. Any other suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks
I've always used the inner hole on the knuckle and it's worked well for me. As has been pointed out, more ackermann helps scrub more speed coming into a corner, so you can turn in later, which is very useful when racing mod.

You do lose mid corner steering though as at that point, the outer wheel is the most loaded one, and it it turning less than the inner wheel.

However if you're going from a 414M to a MSX, I suggest it's not steering you've lost, but you've gained stability which may feel like you've lost steering.

How are your laptimes with the MSX compared to the 414 ?
TRF415boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:45 AM   #17977
Tech Master

I haven't run the MSX yet just received it 2 days ago. Waiting for the rest of the of the parts to come in. I went racing Sunday with the my 414M, stock,rubber, asphalt with my old full metal 3000 panasonics and was 4/10 of second off the cyclones with ib4200'sIB I was running against. Qualified a miserable 4th fastest in the A main. I just couldn't get the steering I wanted and the car didn't really feel like it was pushing,just wouldn't turn. I really don't want to have that problem with the new car!
Old 03-28-2007, 10:50 AM   #17978
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFwhitey
The more akerman u run in ur car the more steering u will have. Now it depends on what surface/tire u use that will determine how much u want or need. For outdoor rubber, more akerman is needed to get as much steering as possble. espacially with spools! Now for indoor foam(which i run alot) we try to eliminate as much akerman as we can. We are now running our steering plate flipped upside down(less akerman) so its more like a T2 or losi. We have found this smooth's out the car alot, but with minimal steering loss. With this setup ur no longer dragging the inside front wheel mid corner which is not good for foam....tends to cause snap oversteer! U may find u have to adjust ur car for these changes but once again depends totally on what u run on. hope this helps!
Hey, Whitey...I want to start running my MSX with Foam on carpet shortly and would like to see how you set up your steering. Can you post a pic of your steering plate and knuckles?

Thanks
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #17979
Tech Master

If its an MSX, there's no other akerman setting other than the knuckle. So just keep it on the inner hole, otherwise the car will have too much akerman.
Tek Nickal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #17980
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek Nickal
If its an MSX, there's no other akerman setting other than the knuckle. So just keep it on the inner hole, otherwise the car will have too much akerman.
err wrong inner hole/kit = lot of ackermann = lot of steering ,very aggressive steering
outer hole = less ackermann = less steering ,but much smoother to drive.

note using the outer hole the ball studs are more prone to breaking due to greater moment of torque acting on them as they are further awy from the center of the hub.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #17981
Tech Regular

Quote:
I haven't run the MSX yet just received it 2 days ago. Waiting for the rest of the of the parts to come in. I went racing Sunday with the my 414M, stock,rubber, asphalt with my old full metal 3000 panasonics and was 4/10 of second off the cyclones with ib4200'sIB I was running against. Qualified a miserable 4th fastest in the A main. I just couldn't get the steering I wanted and the car didn't really feel like it was pushing,just wouldn't turn. I really don't want to have that problem with the new car!
sound like the tyres are dead or the setup is wrong.
Smoking motor.. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:54 PM   #17982
Tech Master

I'm sure the set-up was wrong, but it was getting better through the day. I started the day better than a second of pace. Just ran out of time. But now I'll be focusing on the new car and this forum is a wealth of information, can't wait to start dialing in the new car...
Old 03-28-2007, 05:33 PM   #17983
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default TRF 415MSX for sale.

Check out the photos[IMG]www.maxrc.com/msx/[/IMG] $250 with all parts,
or $300 with 4mm chassis shipped.
MelvinLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 08:33 PM   #17984
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

hey corey. can you post your foam tire setup. i would like to try it. you and martin helped me out alot in cleveland and i appreciate the help. thanx. also is the 3mm top deck you are using available? also do you use the 4mm chassis always on carpet? i know some guys at a race i just attended were using the 2.5mm standard. thanx again.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 PM   #17985
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Hi Guys,

I just finished building my new 415MSX-MRE, first time running a 415, understand the MRE came with the Spool. I am running 23T most of the time, do you guys think i should change to FrOneWay or remain Spool? I tried driving for a few laps with Spool/23T, it seems to handle quite well but i did not take timing so don't really know the diff. Prior to this i was playing EVO5 with FrOneWay.

Thanks for all the input.
hoppie is offline   Reply With Quote