R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2006, 06:35 PM   #16156
Tech Addict
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Quick question in regards when replacing the bearings. Is it really worth getting ceramic bearing set or just the regular set? Or am I better off just putting ceramic bearings (total of 8 pcs) for the wheel hubs F/R?

What's my best option/s?
I would not waste the money for Ceramics, the wheel hub bearings are just to small and fragile, any decent hit and the bearing is shot, i just keep a supply of the stock Tamiya bearings.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:37 PM   #16157
Tech Addict
 
Tsquare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: San Diego
Posts: 618
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRASH
Does anyone use a battery strap or does everyone just tape in your batteries?

If you do use a battery strap who is it made by?

Thanks,
I use the Xenon Straping tape, it works great and I can get 3 to 4 runs on one tape strap.
Tsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:25 PM   #16158
Tech Elite
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsquare
I would not waste the money for Ceramics, the wheel hub bearings are just to small and fragile, any decent hit and the bearing is shot, i just keep a supply of the stock Tamiya bearings.
If, your ceramic bearings are doing that after a decent hit, then you've bought poorly manufactured bearings. Ceramics are a great deal more durable then your standard steel bearings (especially, polymer sealed ceramics like ACER Racing bearings). Even, the smaller, hub bearings will last a great deal longer than the stock, fragile, bearings that you seem to be replacing on a regular basis. I think ceramics for this car would be the way to go.
__________________
Quinn Moon

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 07:52 PM   #16159
Tech Addict
 
JRRobiso's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 659
Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg
If, your ceramic bearings are doing that after a decent hit, then you've bought poorly manufactured bearings. Ceramics are a great deal more durable then your standard steel bearings (especially, polymer sealed ceramics like ACER Racing bearings). Even, the smaller, hub bearings will last a great deal longer than the stock, fragile, bearings that you seem to be replacing on a regular basis. I think ceramics for this car would be the way to go.
So, is it better for me to just replace the wheel hub bearings with ceramic ones or replace the whole drivetrain on the kit?
__________________
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:22 PM   #16160
Tech Elite
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso
So, is it better for me to just replace the wheel hub bearings with ceramic ones or replace the whole drivetrain on the kit?
Replace the whole drivetrain. Get the 415msx bearing kit. For $89.00 and free shipping, you just can't beat the quality, value and savings.
__________________
Quinn Moon

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 08:52 PM   #16161
Tech Addict
 
JRRobiso's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 659
Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewdawg
Replace the whole drivetrain. Get the 415msx bearing kit. For $89.00 and free shipping, you just can't beat the quality, value and savings.
Thanks for the advice.
__________________
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 11:23 PM   #16162
Tech Elite
 
CRASH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,715
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

I use bearings from Avid, you can get a whole set for around $14 plus shipping. They are various styles and are excellent quality.

Later,
CRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 12:11 AM   #16163
Tech Elite
 
kewdawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Sneederville, USA
Posts: 3,311
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Thanks for the advice.
Anytime.
__________________
Quinn Moon

Trinity / Epic / Revtech / VBC Racing USA / Mugen Seiki / Hot Race Tyres / SkyRocket Racing / SUPAFAST RC
kewdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:02 PM   #16164
Tech Addict
 
dbmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I'm just finishing up on building the 415mre and have a couple of ?'s

Will a 110 tooth spur gear fit fine on the mre, I tried to put in my brushless and install a 20t pinion w/ 102t spur (64p) and cant put the motor close enough to make the gears touch.
-
also what oil weight comes w/ the kit, it is not labeled.
-
This is my first tamiya car, just switched from the mi2ec so I hope it lives up to the Hype!
-
anyone have a link to a setup sheet for the mre?

thanks for any help
__________________
FSEARA - Top Photon - Jacks Hobbies
dbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:12 PM   #16165
Tech Regular
 
LBSR415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: RAZOR GRAPHIX
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmartin
I'm just finishing up on building the 415mre and have a couple of ?'s

Will a 110 tooth spur gear fit fine on the mre, I tried to put in my brushless and install a 20t pinion w/ 102t spur (64p) and cant put the motor close enough to make the gears touch.
-
also what oil weight comes w/ the kit, it is not labeled.
-
This is my first tamiya car, just switched from the mi2ec so I hope it lives up to the Hype!
-
anyone have a link to a setup sheet for the mre?

thanks for any help
110 fits fine,,,,invert the bearing holders,,,,,,,stock oil is 40 weight,,,,roll on
__________________
Team OHP
Razor Graphix
East Coast R/C
Pantheon Motorsports

These fish,,,are frozen.
LBSR415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 PM   #16166
Tech Addict
 
JRRobiso's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 659
Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmartin
I'm just finishing up on building the 415mre and have a couple of ?'s

Will a 110 tooth spur gear fit fine on the mre, I tried to put in my brushless and install a 20t pinion w/ 102t spur (64p) and cant put the motor close enough to make the gears touch.
-
also what oil weight comes w/ the kit, it is not labeled.
-
This is my first tamiya car, just switched from the mi2ec so I hope it lives up to the Hype!
-
anyone have a link to a setup sheet for the mre?

thanks for any help
You can try installing a 110 tooth spurgear if it clears the front portion of the bulkhead & also the bottom deck opening for the spurgear as well.
__________________
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 09:36 PM   #16167
Tech Addict
 
dbmartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ocala, FL
Posts: 641
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Thanks
-
I have the gears on order, I wil find out soon enough

thanks
__________________
FSEARA - Top Photon - Jacks Hobbies
dbmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 01:24 AM   #16168
Tech Regular
 
WRXTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 282
Default

I just finished building my MSX, well I bought the conversion kit and upgraded my 415MS to an MSX.
Question, I bought a new servo saver kit with the correct servo arm etc, when I finished building the upgraded chassis I noticed, from the servo arm to the steering assembly the turnbuckle is on an angle which clears the top deck but looks kinda strange. Is that normal or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in anticipation!
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 AM   #16169
Tech Addict
 
JRRobiso's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 659
Send a message via Yahoo to JRRobiso
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRXTC
I just finished building my MSX, well I bought the conversion kit and upgraded my 415MS to an MSX.
Question, I bought a new servo saver kit with the correct servo arm etc, when I finished building the upgraded chassis I noticed, from the servo arm to the steering assembly the turnbuckle is on an angle which clears the top deck but looks kinda strange. Is that normal or have I done something wrong?

Thanks in anticipation!
Yes, that's normal.
__________________
TAOB Racing Team (2004) | Team Driver #101
TRF415MSX | TRF415MRE | TRF801X/XT | K V1 RRR Evo WCE | K IGT2 Audi A4 DTM | AE SC10 4X4
AKA | Airtronics M11 | Spektrum Pro | Speed Passion BL | OS Engines | Sidewinder Fuel | Ko Propo/JR HV/Savox Servos | MuchMore Racing | Xenon Racing | Speedmind | Sorex Tires | Twister Tires
JRRobiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:52 PM   #16170
Tech Regular
 
WRXTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRobiso
Yes, that's normal.
Thanks mate.
WRXTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TAMIYA TRF415 Xray XB8 R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 32 04-04-2008 08:50 PM
Tamiya TRF415 Crashmaster R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 19 12-13-2006 04:48 PM
Tamiya TRF415 MS NIB koabich R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 8 11-11-2005 07:28 AM
F/S Tamiya TRF415 rraden R/C Items: For Sale/Trade 20 06-10-2005 09:02 PM
Tamiya Evo IV or TRF415 TheDevil Electric On-Road 23 10-15-2004 07:27 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:55 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net