R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
I really dont understand your guy's problem. If some of you are traveling the world to race, does an extra couple hundred in battery packs really make a difference in your budget. Jeesh, I would assume if you are from North America and are going to Europe to race, you are probably sponsored pretty heavily to begin with. I think some of you guys just wanna make a topic to bitch about.
I think the topic is more about the prices of batteries and vehicles because companies have to spend that much more in materials to make the same car with two different specifications; Xray US and EU is a prime example.

In tough economic times as we are all in, it would help if companies in this industry could give us a break.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

From a racer's standpoint how many actually attend events under each rule set? Even then if you use the smaller packs you are fine at a ROAR event. It's a none isue from the racers standpoint in my opinion.

I do like the standard plug type rule though. Wish ROAR had done that.
or8ital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:34 AM   #18
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Precisly... It is about making two sets of rules, and forcing manufactures, of both chassis and batteries spend money to work around both sets. I really do not think it is an issue for the chassis makers as much as battery. But regardless, it makes things more expensive.

IMHO, I am not saying that EFRA rules are bad per se, I like the standard connector rule too. I am just saying the rules for one of the largest markets were set last year, so why make it more difficult and expensive then it needs to be. I am also not saying ROAR's rules are perfect, they sure are not, the perfect rule is probably somewhere in between.

Once again, this has nothing to do with racers traveling to or from Europe for a race, because if you are going to a race of the size that would make you travel, your going to buy new packs for it anyhow, whether they be NiMH, or Lipo. This is a "Big Picture" argument, and we are pointing out one of the reasons this Hobby does not move past the size it is. Nobody wants to work together for the greater good.

The GBS is a good example of multiple sanctioning bodies working together for a greater cause, but it took someone outside of the rules makers to get it started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryN View Post
I think the topic is more about the prices of batteries and vehicles because companies have to spend that much more in materials to make the same car with two different specifications; Xray US and EU is a prime example.

In tough economic times as we are all in, it would help if companies in this industry could give us a break.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

How about a list of the batteries and sizes that are affected by the EFRA rule, that are RoAR APPROVED.

Maybe the rule was to limit mAh size w/o calling a certain number!
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

What most likly to happen, is manufactor will focus on EFRA spec pack instead of ROAR spec pack, since the potential market of EFRA spec pack is US+EU, where ROAR spec pack is only for US, if manufactor goes for maximum allowed size.

What's critical next, is JMRCA's call. If JMRCA setup spec similar to EFRA, than IFMAR would probably do spec similar to EFRA as well. And I think that's what going to happen next, since EFRA spec pack fit way more JP rides than ROAR spec pack, if you go maximum size (does TRF416 fit 25.1mm at all wthout touching 2nd floor? dont think so).
ttso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

Time will tell which way it goes, IMHO, it will go the ROAR spec, let's see. I still stand by my initial comments, and EFRA is not doing anything to help further the hobby by this different spec.

I am not an expert in battery sales, but I believe the Hobbiest/Basher segment buys a fair amount more packs then the competitive racers. And the larger capacity packs will sell to the hobbiest... You do the math...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttso View Post
What most likly to happen, is manufactor will focus on EFRA spec pack instead of ROAR spec pack, since the potential market of EFRA spec pack is US+EU, where ROAR spec pack is only for US, if manufactor goes for maximum allowed size.

What's critical next, is JMRCA's call. If JMRCA setup spec similar to EFRA, than IFMAR would probably do spec similar to EFRA as well. And I think that's what going to happen next, since EFRA spec pack fit way more JP rides than ROAR spec pack, if you go maximum size (does TRF416 fit 25.1mm at all wthout touching 2nd floor? dont think so).
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote