R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-22-2009, 10:00 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Default Batt connector: Which is the best out there?

What type of batt connector you guys using? I m running Lipo 2 cells with Dean connector (in a TC) and sometimes it gets hot. I wonder if theres a better connector out there.
dameetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #2
Tech Master

Deans are up there. You say the connector gets hot. Does the WIRE get hot too? I know mine do when I have a hard run. It may be an unavoidable consequence of running high-current gear.

Just a thought.....
JR007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to HarryN

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post
Deans are up there. You say the connector gets hot. Does the WIRE get hot too? I know mine do when I have a hard run. It may be an unavoidable consequence of running high-current gear.

Just a thought.....
Either that or you could try going from a 14 AWG to 12 AWG...whichever is thicker and allows more current to flow with less ohms.
Cars For Sale: FG 08-530 EVO w/ Sport Brakes!
Track(s): http://www.rctrack.com
HarryN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:03 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR007 View Post

Just a thought.....
The wires are fine just warm to touch the hottest part is the connector but then again I can still touch it not flaming hot. How about Traxxas connectors? I read somewhere in a magazine, it is supposed to be better.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

I use the Trinity bullet connectors. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXTJ25&P=K

The only drawback is that if I need to borrow a battery in a hurry many people run Deans Ultra Plugs that came standard with their packs. I try to have at least two lipo packs available just in case.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:22 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcjunkie3000 View Post
I use the Trinity bullet connectors. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXTJ25&P=K

The only drawback is that if I need to borrow a battery in a hurry many people run Deans Ultra Plugs that came standard with their packs. I try to have at least two lipo packs available just in case.
You could solder a couple of barrels to a deans plug... keep it in the pit box for the times you need to borrow a pack.

A pair of bullets spoldered to a deans socket and you could loan a pack to a deans guy in time of need as well...
Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

It's always handy to have a couple of battery adapters so you can swap batteries with racing buddies or whatever. IMO Deans are probably the best, the only thing I don't like about them is that the plastic can melt (making the metal shift) if I'm too slow with the soldering iron. The various bullet plugs from Orion/Corally/whoever are possibly the most versatile because there are so many brands making them (and in metric sizes too), their main (only?) drawback is that you have two separate bits of wire flopping about instead of one plug.

I'm still a bit baffled why there are so many other types of high-end connectors (Traxxas, Venom and others) when there's clearly 1 or 2 superior ones already available. It just makes it worse for shops and new customers. I understand with the Dean's plugs there may be a license fee in certain countries but the bullet connectors are great and can be ordered OEM by the containerful from China.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:30 AM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Mechanically 4mm bullet connector provide more surface area therefore less resistance. The only problem is I have seen people plug bullets in the wrong holes and smoke ESC's.
5280 Raceway
MILE HIGH INDOOR CHAMPS April 19-22nd 2018 @ www.milehighindoorchamps.com
bkspeedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkspeedo View Post
Mechanically 4mm bullet connector provide more surface area therefore less resistance. The only problem is I have seen people plug bullets in the wrong holes and smoke ESC's.
I ve seen it happened and its not pretty, thats why i opted not to use 'em.
Old 01-23-2009, 12:01 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dameetz View Post
I ve seen it happened and its not pretty, thats why i opted not to use 'em.

Just need to pay more atttention to the polarity...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 PM   #11
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I also use deans in favor of built.

Mostly because with built, you have two seperate wires that need to be connected.
Akhor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:39 PM   #12
Tech Master
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I personally Use Dean's and Have had good sucess. but Most of the racers at our track direct solder the batteries to the ESC before every race. I don;t think the savings in resistance is worth it but I'm also lazy.
jdeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:42 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I would not worry about the Dean's melting or not being able to take the amp draw.

To give you a idea I've used Deans in large heli's and planes using 12S lipos with 100+ amp peaks. Besides from the HUGE spark when you plug them in, they have never failed me.

With that said, Deans are starting to annoy me and I'm considering moving to Eflite EC3 connectors. They are effectively 3mm bullet connectors inside a plug so you can't accidentally plug them in wrong. They are much easier to solder and plug-in compared to Deans. Best part is you can buy knockoffs out of China that are dirt cheap and the same thing.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:21 PM   #14
Tech Regular

If your running nimh lets say can you solder the pack directly to the esc and then charge with alligator clips while the esc/batt are soldered up?

Cody
minittrackmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 03:30 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by minittrackmann View Post
If your running nimh lets say can you solder the pack directly to the esc and then charge with alligator clips while the esc/batt are soldered up?

Cody
I think every ESC manufacture says do not charge your battery while the ESC is connected. I know some ESC's can be damaged, while some don't care.

With that said, I always ran KO ESC's and peaked my NiMH battery with it soldered to the ESC all the time and it never did anything.
Anthony.L is offline   Reply With Quote