R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Tuned brushless motors??

i have been racing brushless for little over a year. each time i bought and ran a brushless motor it was for package to car. i have several questions?

1. what is the difference between a name(novak,lrp) compared to name(fantom)???

2. brushed tuned motors where worked:brushes, springs, bushings, com, oil,.... -- but what on a brushless gets tuned??

3. does anybody have a dyno that tells torque, rpm, ????

4. who has used a "tuned brushless motor" and what company?

i have been trying ot get some info and it is hit and miss.

Racin'4-Fun -- na to win!
DriftDreamer06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I was under the impression that you couldn't do much if anything to a brushless other than changing the rotor to improve performance, but I may be wrong. I will be waiting to see what others say.
SteveL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 11:55 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

still wondering i have ran against guys with standard and some with tuned?

info would be great.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

what can be done it shimming the rotor, metering the poles, and metering the rotor.

the shimming the rotor cant be done on many motors (novak, tekin,hacker/losi,lrp) but on others (trinity, speed passion, older orions) you cna move them around quite a bit. good for find the correct center of where the magnet needs to be for best performance.

metering the poles and finding motors that are the closest will have the best performance.

metering ther rotor and finding the smallest gap with create a better running motor and more efficenct.

thats what most tuners do. some will replace the bearings or bolts or machining
but not popular
mxzhonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxzhonkey View Post
what can be done it shimming the rotor, metering the poles, and metering the rotor.

the shimming the rotor cant be done on many motors (novak, tekin,hacker/losi,lrp) but on others (trinity, speed passion, older orions) you cna move them around quite a bit. good for find the correct center of where the magnet needs to be for best performance.

metering the poles and finding motors that are the closest will have the best performance.

metering ther rotor and finding the smallest gap with create a better running motor and more efficenct.

thats what most tuners do. some will replace the bearings or bolts or machining
but not popular
what do you mean by metering the poles??

what are they metering on the rotor? i thought the rotor had to be a certain diameter?

what tuners have great motors in 17.5 & 13.5 for 1/12?
Old 01-22-2009, 09:13 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriftDreamer06 View Post
what do you mean by metering the poles??

what are they metering on the rotor? i thought the rotor had to be a certain diameter?

what tuners have great motors in 17.5 & 13.5 for 1/12?
I use a Zubak Speed Meter.

Most of my rotors are like 1250's on my meter. The thing about metering rotors is that the high +/- numbers are good, but they also need to be close too. If the spread is too great, then the motor will have not rev as high in rpm. In low speed, bashing or even off-road it won't matter. In oval, it does.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

as what the post above said about the rotors, just really need to be close, not high, higher is better for torque but a lower number on the rotor doesnt mean bad, unless its like 800.

metering the stators is measuring the inductance per pole and getting pole that closely match.

putnam does the best job out of the main stream tuners, he also can do ceramic bearing installs.

i know how to do all the stuff to make em fast, but i dont have the motor purchasing power to get a bunch and match em up.

one big problem with brushless motors is luck of the draw on whether you get a good one, where as with brushed you just tune them and will be decently competetive
mxzhonkey is offline   Reply With Quote