Wiki Posts
Search

WORLD GT?? Who, What, Why?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 09:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default WORLD GT?? Who, What, Why?

I keep hearing about the WORLD GT Spec class, but WHO is sanctioning it? What are the specific rules, and WHY?

I've heard the class is aimed at 13.5/4 cell (why are they building NEW chassis' and using 1970's style batteries)

I'm looking for more info on this type of class (World GT or other rules) and what's working where...
Old 12-19-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Elite

Here are the rules:

http://www.worldgtrc.com/WGT_2008_Rules.pdf

The guys that thought this up were looking for a specific power to handling ratio and 4 cell 13.5 is perfect. There are new, easy to maintain cells readily available.

ROAR is set to adopt the above rules almost in their entirety for 2009
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Thanks for the link to the rules...that setup won't fly in this market I don't think.

I'll build one w/ a 21.5/LIPO for our local track and see how it does...we just won't call it WGT
Old 12-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SWTour
Thanks for the link to the rules...that setup won't fly in this market I don't think.

I'll build one w/ a 21.5/LIPO for our local track and see how it does...we just won't call it WGT

This works great on our track, it makes for very clean racing.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:06 AM
Tech Elite

Cammer,

What type of track and how big?

Our is a swept, blown school parking lot. Generally only the OVAL corners are sprayed with anything. (we don't spray the on-road sections)
Old 12-21-2008, 07:50 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by SWTour
Cammer,

What type of track and how big?

Our is a swept, blown school parking lot. Generally only the OVAL corners are sprayed with anything. (we don't spray the on-road sections)
I am in the same club as Cammer, and we are running this combination on a 36 x 76 carpet track. TC foam has gone to the wayside,for the most part this winter, but there are a few guys still running foam tires with us. As for speed between the 2 cell/21.5 WGT and the 6 cell 27t TC, the speeds are very, very close. The only place were the WGT21.5's shine are on run time. With a 3200 Orion, I am easily getting 18 minutes of uninterupted driving.

I am running a Novak GTB with the Novak 21.5, and am truly happy with this setup. The only thing I may toy with is the drag brake setting. The chassis' seem to roll forever beofre they come to a full stop. Gearing is still something that I need to test, but right now, I am rolling a 2.2" rear and an 31/88.

The 21.5/Lipo is quicker the a 4 cell/13.5, but the ease of setup, charging & balancing, allows me to run a third class without a lot of fuss. I truly beleive the guys who drew up the WGT rules really dropped the ball when they did not allow for the Lipo/21.5 combination in the rule set.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Tech Elite

For OVAL we gear the 21.5/LIPO combo TO THE MOON. (Like a 88/53) on a 270 ft. oval w/ 2.2's

I figured to run on the On-Road portion of the same track, I'd probably drop about 10 teeth....but we do have one really long stretch where you'll go wide opened for almost 100 ft.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by WinnipegRacer
I truly beleive the guys who drew up the WGT rules really dropped the ball when they did not allow for the Lipo/21.5 combination in the rule set.
I agree...I will be getting a WGT car but you wont find any 4cell packs in mine...
Old 12-22-2008, 10:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I liking the CRC car. One of the locals just built one and they look sweet. it could probably perform double duty as an oval car too.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:51 AM
Tech Elite

The car I'm building is probably 12-15 years old...

Built by HPI, with a floating pod, and 6 cell battery slot 'Up the Middle', this car has been sitting waiting for a class like this...(Too bad some won't allow the original HPI Full Movement "Independant" Pan Car Front end...but it WILL get used locally)
Old 12-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

This class seems like it had the chance to fix the things that were driving people away from foam tire sedan racing, but fell a little short. Hopefully that gets sorted out, 'cause it's definitely got my interest as well. The NiMH thing has to go, though. And where's the spec tire?
Old 12-22-2008, 11:06 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Adam?
This class seems like it had the chance to fix the things that were driving people away from foam tire sedan racing, but fell a little short. Hopefully that gets sorted out, 'cause it's definitely got my interest as well. The NiMH thing has to go, though. And where's the spec tire?
I'm all for either spec tire or tire tech for a max min diameter rule. I think 21.5 lipo would be plenty fast for this class.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I think several companies are making spec tires intended for World GT
CRC
http://teamcrc.com/crc/images/empori...edia/52324.jpg

I have tried these on my wide pan and they were very good.

BSR
http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...sort=3a&page=2

(I think) Jaco may be making a spec tire (lilac)? I don't see it on their main web site.

I have recent experience with 4 cell. This is not the way to go. Two of four new packs were deteriorated on purchase. Could not get a reliable supply of good cells. One supplier, Trinity, still has a weak four cell pack return after 5 months and has not sent a replacement.
John
Old 12-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

Originally Posted by Adam?
And where's the spec tire?
Jaco does make Lilac Spec tires, here is a link to Stormer Hobbies:

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=0
Old 12-22-2008, 03:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by John Stranahan
I think several companies are making spec tires intended for World GT
CRC
http://teamcrc.com/crc/images/empori...edia/52324.jpg

I have tried these on my wide pan and they were very good.

BSR
http://www.lefthander-rc.com/catalog...sort=3a&page=2

(I think) Jaco may be making a spec tire (lilac)? I don't see it on their main web site.

I have recent experience with 4 cell. This is not the way to go. Two of four new packs were deteriorated on purchase. Could not get a reliable supply of good cells. One supplier, Trinity, still has a weak four cell pack return after 5 months and has not sent a replacement.
John
The first series of IB4200 and IB4600 where a bad mistake. It has ruined the popularity of nimh cells and with the advent of lipo's, there is a strong chance that nimh will eventually expire. But... they are still a viable power storage system if used properly. The new cells from SMC & ProMatch are outstanding cells and I have not lost a single one of these cells. Their run times are great and the last packs I got from ProMatch where all 1.24's +!!! And you cannot beat the price. Check them out.

http://www.promatchracing.com/products.php?cat=6

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.