Wiki Posts
Search

Need help with Ozite Flattening

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Need help with Ozite Flattening

I was wondering if someone can help? Our RC club has 4 rolls of ozite used to make an 80’ X 36’ racing surface. This past summer, our club stored the carpet and we accidentally (dont ask me how) layed it on a ladder length wise over the rungs! Yep….that sright!

What we now have is a carpet (ozite) with something that looks like moguls on a ski hill. The bumps/blisters are shaped like ½ of a football sitting under the carpet. (They are not that tall…..maybe ½” in height at their highest point.)

Any ideas on how to get rid of these? Remember…stretching is not an option as these are not “ribs” that extend the width of the carpet…..they are individual bumps or blisters.

I was wondering if steam or ironing might work? Any ideas will be appreciated. We run buggies, trucks, slash’s and late models on it just fine but the pan cars simply can’t deal with the bumps. I'm willing to work....I just need tro know what to do?

Thanks!

Slash01Z

[email protected]
Old 01-18-2009, 09:46 PM
mok
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

i admit, never had to flatten Ozite before..
but i have definately steamed floor rugs with similar bumps or folds and it worked fantastic..
Old 01-18-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I install carpet for a living so my only suggestion will be to heat the carpet with a heater and see if it works, the only other way will be stretching but i know thats not a option.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

I had the same thing happen to me with the stuff. I found a car park on a Sunday and rolled it out and left it in the sun for about 4 hours. It flattened out. Mind you, it was a hot day as well.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

My club setup and tore down ozite every 2 weeks for years and years, during the winter. From -20 in a trailer to an indoor rental location every other sunday. We delt with all kinds of lumps and bumps..

Here is what we would do for ever race and we rarely had wrinkles.
Requirements:
-rolls of tape, we used packing tape (the clear stuff)
-10-12 bodies

1) Layout carpet and tape one end to the ground.
2) Have about 4 guys stand on that end of the carpet as an anchore
3) Now you should have 4 jumpers and 4 pullers.
4) At the other end of the carpet have 4 guys stand near the end of the roll while 4 others are ready to pull
5)Call jump for the jumpers to jump and then the pullers should yank on the rug.
6)When the jumpers land have someone take a visual of the rug, if there are wrinkles or its not strait repeat step 4-6.
7) Once the carpet looks good, you should still have 8 bodies standing on the carpet tape down the end of the roll.
7b) Tape down the 2 remaining sides. This is your square starting point to attach the next roll to.
8)repeat with remaining rolls of carpet.
9)As you butt up a second roll run tape down the seam of the 2 rolls and go to the next roll, finish with a perimeter strip of tape

we ran 4 rolls of ozite and rarely had wrinkle issues. The longer you can allow the rug to sit on its own the better. We had time constraints so 30mins sitting was as much as they ever got.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

The easiest method MAY very well work great...roll the carpet out on a flat surface and let it lay. Our carpet gets a little ripply because we roll it up every race. Before our big 2-day race every year we roll the carpet out without taping it down the day before track setup and just let it lay and relax overnight. This actually works very well. I imagine Dadaman's suggestion to lay it in the sun (note: a car park is a parking lot here ) might speed things and/or improve the "relaxing" performance.
Old 01-19-2009, 10:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Thank you for all of your responses!

I had a feeling I knew what was coming but I thought there might be a quicker fix. I live in Northcentral Wisconsin so putting it outside now will not be an option. During the week....it sits in an unheated ballroom so that does not help either. The room is warm once a week and now that I think about it....the track did improve (some) as the day went on. We taped the track and don't pull it off so that is another problem that we have to deal with.

I might try an iron.....or maybe a steamer....and if that does not work....we will just have to wait for the one week of summer that we get up here and when it arrives... I will roll the carpet up again and lay it accross another ladder in the hot sun.

Slash01Z

Although your answers were all good.....they were all incorrect as the first step in correcting the problem would be to shoot the person that hung the carpet over the ladder in the first place!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

hey man im in canada eh!

we know about frozen carpet eh!

try out my suggetion, t might feel silly at first with all that jumpin and pullin but it works.
Old 01-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Like someone said open the carpet on a flat surface and go to home depot or lowes and rent one of those diesel heaters and let it run for a couple of hours. And next time roll the carpet nice and tight and make sure it doesn't lay on anything but a flat surface good luck dude.
Old 01-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Joel knows his shizzle.

Our club lays out the carpet and lets it rest for a few weeks before we start racing. Having it in a warm room helps.
Old 01-21-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joel Lagace
hey man im in canada eh!

we know about frozen carpet eh!
Just so you know, it's okay to race "inside" during the winter...

Corner marshals, ready to go.