The Best Electric OnRoad Car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Best Electric OnRoad Car

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Colorado, USA, The land of the free and the home of the brave!
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HarryN
The Corvette got creamed by the Porsche, namely because on takeoff, the Corvette was busy spinning wheels while the 911 had traction and took off.
That has ALOT to do with the driver as well.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Yup, TC5F. Just got one a few weeks ago, raced it 3 times already and it's definitely gettin' in the groove. I had been a loyal xray "fanatic" ever since the T1 came out and loved that and every other version they came up with after that. One of the most appealing thing to me about that car was the complete ease of setup. It was just so easy to adjust setup changes to the car. I decided to switch to Associated when the new versions came out. I think it's the least expensive of all the next gen race cars, and the parts availability is incredible, comes with pretty much all the different tuning parts you could imagine, even comes with front and rear sway bars (99.9% of the time I never use rear swaybars anyway). In other words....go for the TC5F.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by tc3team
The 416 uses a 2.25mm chassis, which would probably give too much flex for racing with foams.

I use the trf415msxx indoors on foams and although it is OK for club racing, I do feel it definately has more chassis flex than the ta05 I use indoors on foams, which has a 3racing graphite chassis.

This chassis is at least 3 to 3.5mm thick and has quite a few posts joining the top and bottom decks, which make the car respond a lot faster to steering input.

That said, the 3racing chassis and ta05 were a very good budget buy when I got mine a few years back... The only other "problems" with the ta05 is that because of the cheaper cost, you only get plastic shocks (which are prone to leaking) so I changed them for the alloy blue TRF version.

Also, the dogbone driveshafts are not really racing parts, s I changed these for universal driveshafts, which can be taken apart for cleaning and replacing parts.

The foam tyre version TC5 is a good car, and obviously is built especially for foams, so should see you well too.

That was quite a bit of information, but I think I'm pickin up what your layin down. does Kyosho make a good car for this class?
Old 01-23-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by booker686
That was quite a bit of information, but I think I'm pickin up what your layin down. does Kyosho make a good car for this class?
well, that's the kind of information you can learn in 15 years of being in the hobby I guess... Basically, in general, thicker chassis cars are more suitable for racing with foams, the associated TC5 has been designed for use with foam tyres.

I have no experience of Kyosho's recent cars, but I hear the TF-5 Stallion is the one to look at if you're interested in the most recent on road car Kyosho has made, Google is your friend... as is the image search if you need some pictures some here

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=13ou66lsa
Old 01-24-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

If you get a Type R like you mentioned in your earlier post you don't have to worry about getting different chassis's for it like you do other cars. The guys that run for Losi tried different thickness chassis's on them and always went back to the stock chassis. They said it made no difference on that car. The car is good on foam and rubber. It has a thread here on the forum and you can get setup support from the team guys on that thread. As was said before, there is no "Best" TC. It is a matter of presonal preference as well as what you can easily get parts for at your LHS.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Tech Initiate

It would seem to me that running electric would cost more across the board, as opposed to running nitro. Is that the case?
Old 01-24-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 138 (100%+)

get this
Old 01-24-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Initiate

WHAT IS THAT? IT LOOKS PRETTY SWEET!!
Old 01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Elite

ITS FREAKING AWSOME MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yokomo BD Masami edition!!!! you gotta get it now!!!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by booker686
It would seem to me that running electric would cost more across the board, as opposed to running nitro. Is that the case?
Initial cost can be more exspensive than nitro..... but then the maitanance is lower and will cost less i nthe long run.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by myrxseven
Initial cost can be more exspensive than nitro..... but then the maitanance is lower and will cost less i nthe long run.
To be competitave, if i'm not running Lipo cells. How often do I need to buy new cells? Here in Colorado there is one track that I know of off the top of my head, and the guys there are just plain rude. They don't want to help. There whole take is if you didn't bring it with you, then your screwed because there is no way in hell there gonna help you out. It was kind of a turn off. However seeing some of the cars that are out, I'm wanting to give it a go.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:23 AM
Tech Elite

sounds lik a bunch of jerks which is realyl to ba dbecause this hobby is founded on nice guys willing to help.

Just be real nice to them, don't go in there actling like a total idiot. DO a ton of homework on your own before going in with a million questions. ASk them here or do some reading first.

Im assuming you've never done this before, so don't worry about replacing cells when your new. When you get good NI-MH packs last about a season of racing if you maintain them properly. But a good LIPO pack will last you 3x as long with no care .
Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by B18C Turbo
sounds lik a bunch of jerks which is realyl to ba dbecause this hobby is founded on nice guys willing to help.

Just be real nice to them, don't go in there actling like a total idiot. DO a ton of homework on your own before going in with a million questions. ASk them here or do some reading first.

Im assuming you've never done this before, so don't worry about replacing cells when your new. When you get good NI-MH packs last about a season of racing if you maintain them properly. But a good LIPO pack will last you 3x as long with no care .
That's what I'm talking about. I'm just not wanting to have to swap packs every few months.