R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2003, 07:22 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default Fantom Limited Edition 'Tweaked' Monsters?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at purchasing one of thse, as they appear to be very good, however, I seem to have come across a problem. My workmate of mine bought one and raced it at the titles that were recently held, it was very fast the first race, but after that the motor failed because the armature was delaminting. Fair enough, fault in the motor, returned to work, no problems. HOWEVER, I had one I was going to purchase, that motor was checked, same problem, it was delaminating. We then check all of them, they all had the same problem.

I've been to another store to buy one and all of theirs had to same problem. It seems to be that when the factory has drilled them slightly to balance it, they have delaminated. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Was is just a bad run? If they are limited edition though... was there more than one run?

help! lol. By the way, if it matters, I'm in Brisbane, Australia

regards, matt

Last edited by hawker; 10-29-2003 at 07:30 PM.
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 07:43 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I had one a while ago. It was blazin fast for a stock motor. I never had any problems with it delaminating though. There are more runs of them, they just strap that name on it to let people know it;s the one thats the cream of the crop.

-Sushi Boy
Old 10-29-2003, 07:46 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to R/C Anonymous

whoa never heard of that problem...ive had quite a few monster stocks gone through my hands but never encountered that...im sure an experience Phantom user can enlighten us
Old 10-29-2003, 07:56 PM   #4
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You know what. I think I know whats happening. This happened on one of my motors (non fantom and non monster stock) a long time ago. They drill balanced and they went a tad overboard. When they drilled the arm it weakend the laminations, and from the extreme amount of stress that is put on these motors, the laminations came apart.

-Sushi Boy
Old 10-29-2003, 08:16 PM   #5
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

I had one come apart too..

The laminations cracked off right where it was drilled.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:28 PM   #6

From my experience, ALL Monster Stock motors are temperature sensitive, much more sensitive than a P2k for example, though I have never destroyed a lamination. I have had only good experiences with Fantom products, but it is possible they have a bad batch of motors out there. The most important thing is to make sure you are not running your Monster motor too hot. The proper gearing for a monster is very very different from other stock motors, as they require a much torquier gear ratio to give them the punch and lower the temperature. For example, on my old TC3 I ran a 6.3 rollout for a P2K and a 8.0 or higher for the Monster. What rollout are you running with your Monster motor? What is the track and/or ambiant temperature?
2Tenths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 08:43 PM   #7
Tech Regular

With my Trinity Monster, i have to gear it at around 33mm rollout to be fast, which is about around the low 6's in gear ratios. They drilling on the Fantom Monster is quite deep, thats what i will be using for the nats.
Johnny J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 09:08 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

The problem is not a Tuner Specific problem, but Trinity/Eric issue. Yes the laminations are drilled too deep, and they can delaminate.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 10:36 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by 2Tenths
From my experience, ALL Monster Stock motors are temperature sensitive, much more sensitive than a P2k for example, though I have never destroyed a lamination. I have had only good experiences with Fantom products, but it is possible they have a bad batch of motors out there. The most important thing is to make sure you are not running your Monster motor too hot. The proper gearing for a monster is very very different from other stock motors, as they require a much torquier gear ratio to give them the punch and lower the temperature. For example, on my old TC3 I ran a 6.3 rollout for a P2K and a 8.0 or higher for the Monster. What rollout are you running with your Monster motor? What is the track and/or ambiant temperature?
The problem is, these motors arn't evening making it out of the packet, if it was due to running them too hot, fair enough, but these motors are all delaminated when they are still brand new, still in the packet, I'd really like one, as I know Fantom are usually good, just waiting for a good run to come through work lol
Old 10-29-2003, 10:45 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Best bet is to call Troy at Fantom. Fantom will resolve the issue. I run Fantom Motors exclusively and do not have these problems. Quality and performance are always great.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:54 PM   #11
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Fantom does not drill on these motors,all they do is dyno a bunch of motors pick out the top ones and change springs and brushes,that's all.As Tim said it's an epic/trinity issue.
Oasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 01:54 AM   #12
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by xxxkat
Fantom does not drill on these motors,all they do is dyno a bunch of motors pick out the top ones and change springs and brushes,that's all.As Tim said it's an epic/trinity issue.
Who's drills the Fantom ones then? Have a look at a regular Trinity Monster arm, and a Fantom arm, don't tell me the drill marks are the same....
Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 AM   #13
Tech Adept

i thought the fantom and trinity monster arms are the same
except the trinity has balancing holes?
Hixsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:00 AM   #14
Tech Regular

The Fantom has drilling holes too, just much deeper.
Old 10-30-2003, 04:49 AM   #15
Tech Fanatic

yeah we've sent our lot back, our boss wants to still get them which is good, i'm looking forward to getting one of these on the track