R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-30-2003, 05:25 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

hawker, I have seem what you are talking about first hand. I attended the Halloween clasic this past weekend (great race!!!) and my arm in the Fantom Monster Stock delaminated and actually began to chip away. I had like two runs on the motor. This would not have been a problem but when I took the arm to Troy (Fantom rep at the race) he said he didn't have any arms to replace my arm with??? The same thing happened a little later to a guy sitting by me and he got a new arm. What's up with that??? Needless to say that was my last Fantom motor I will buy...
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:44 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TimPotter

A friend of mine owns a small tuning buisiness. The motors are recieved in a "Teardown" which I am sure the way Troy gets them. The have no brushes, and are drilled for balancing. One problem with the Monsters, is the stacks have such a gap in it, there is not that much of a place to drill them for balancing. So the holes have to be drilled deep. This weakens the stack. Some arms come straight from Trinity that way. another, the laminations are just not that tight, along with the drilling, and they just break off. I would doubt if Troy re-drills his arms for productions motors, the arms are pretty close without it.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost
TimPotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 05:48 AM   #18
Tech Champion

BTW, I have had no problems with Fantom's quality control, and have a couple of thier Ti based mods.
Clean Title & Escrow|p3|TRF|Tamiya|SerpentAmerica|FSEARA|Team Butter|RC 3|Munno |RCTECH #29|EAMotorsports|BMI|Novak|SpeedPassion|RadioPost

Last edited by TimPotter; 10-30-2003 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 AM   #19
Tech Elite

Default Drill Balance holes

Guys;

Let me tell you a little secret.

Motors like the Monster Stock with very few laminations make MORE power with the LEAST amount of balancing holes.
(Why do you think they Epoxy balance Hand wound Mod motors?)

Most 19T arms (Full stack) would benefit from some "Extra" holes in the laminations to lighten the rotor and decrease spool-up time. (too bad it's illegal)

Last edited by popsracer; 10-30-2003 at 02:57 PM.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 02:40 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

The teacher,

where abouts are you based? I thought it might have just been a bad run? I've seen the Fantoms perform, and was very impressed, we sell a lot of there other motors with no dramas and I have no doubt on the quality of Fantom, I just hope they get this sorted cause I want one that works! lol.

regardless of where the balancing holes came from, it looks bad for Fantom, whether or not they put the balancing holes there or not. Unfortunately for your usual customer, they place the blame on Fantom, when in fact it should go fuirther than that. Howver I think Fantom do have some responisbility in the matter in terms of qualtiy control?

my .02
hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2003, 05:23 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

hawker, I'm out of Virginia... I must say this is the first time that I have ever had a problem with Fantom equipment and in all honesty I will probably buy another Fantom motor again (because they are fast). I guess I'm just POed I couldn't get another new arm at the race. I'll get over it......
The Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 07:24 PM   #22
Tech Initiate

After reading this post last night, I checked the arm on my monster and noticed it doing the same thing, and it came straight from Trinity.
nitromike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2003, 11:07 PM   #23
Tech Fanatic

hmm thats interesting mike so the prblem might go all the way back to trinity?

so what do we do about it? Do they know of the problem? is there someone on RC Tech that has contacts with them?
Old 11-02-2003, 06:21 AM   #24
Tech Champion

Hawker, I've been trying to tell you that all along. It is Trinity's QC
Old 11-02-2003, 02:21 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Yeah I understand that, but surely Fantom would have picked it up?
Old 11-02-2003, 06:48 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Not if it's happening during final testing before they package it & ship it out. It really sounds to me like Trinity just ended up with a bad batch of arms, & I'm sure that everyone who bought a share of them will have to deal with the same problem, but to be honest, complaining about it here won't accomplish anything, it's the manufacturer you should be talking to....

Go Pokes!!!
Grizzbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:18 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

hawker, just call hobby express and he will help you out..

fantom arms are not related to trinity...they are the same exept fantom abllenced the arms themselfs
Painy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:27 PM   #28
Tech Fanatic

i'm not complaining, I was just wondering why such a larger number turned out to be faulty? I'll still buy one as soon as a find a place to get a good one. We are getting some more in at work, which hopefully are better, so i'll grab one of those.

painy, if fantom balance the arms themselves then surely they would have noticed? Ah well, i'll speak to my boss on thursday and see what she says.