R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 10-29-2003, 11:05 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 12000mah Lipoly!!!!

Two days ago I received my samples of 2 7.4V 12000mah Lipoly batery packs. Just finished testing one about 20 minutes ago. Incredible!!!!!! It still has alot of juice left.
I'll get some pics so you all could see this amazing pack. 12000mah or 12ah capable of 10C discharge.
lutach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:30 AM   #2
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

nice, hows the punch of those batteries? are they better than nimh? do they only fit in stick packs or saddle packs?
disaster999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 11:45 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

They are way more powerfull than nimh. The run time will be 3 times as much. I'm still running a few more tests to see if the pack will maintain its capacity.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:58 AM   #4
Tech Master

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

I heard they could vent fairly easy and were sensitive to heat and could explode!
berger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #5
R/C Tech Founder

One of the advertisers on this site, HillTop Batteries (www.battlepack.com) sells LiPoly cells for robot wars applications. I am guessing they have some experience with how much load and such that you can place on the cells without any sort of a discharge. If you're doing research on them, you might get in touch with HillTop to see what they have to say.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

Not this ones. They are 12000mah and they have a continuous 10C discharge and that is 120amps. Most speed control/motor combo will draw about 40-70 amps. This pack is amazing I had to charge it two times for a full charge. I'm using the SuperBrain 969 pro. All I could say is that Kokam and the other brands out there will have some catching up to do.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:15 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Jeff Werner

There have been some great advancements in rc racing in the last few years. But the advancements seem to come at one cost....to us the racers the "have to keep up" game is getting really tuff to do. Just lately the 3300 gp hit and were good and then the more "super" batches came out last year at the Snowbirds now the 1.13 we ran last season are just nice practice packs now. I know racing is a constant evelution of equipment but it would be nice to see some limits placed on batteries at some point. I can now see why nitro is becoming more attractive....and I never thought I would think that...lol

Jeff
Jeff Werner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #8
RCTech Member #2

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to TSR6

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Werner
I know racing is a constant evelution of equipment but it would be nice to see some limits placed on batteries at some point. I can now see why nitro is becoming more attractive....and I never thought I would think that...lol

Jeff
Even nitro has it's costs, biggest hit there appears to be tires. Some guys run crazy soft compounds and buy tires every week.

I can only afford to run 40-42 shore so i can get 2-3 weeks out of them.
RCTech Member #2

The postings and views expressed on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the positions, strategies, or opinions of any company I may be employed by.
TSR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 12:19 PM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Jeff,

If I could get this Lipoly's going you'll bet that electric will outdo any nitro out there. I have a brushless setup that is kicking nitro out the door. The best thing is that I'm using the brushless in my Traxxas Stampede and I race against 1/8 buggies and they can't touch me. Lipoly and Brushless is the future in the R/C hobby.
Old 10-29-2003, 12:56 PM   #10
R/C Tech Founder

For what it's worth, I wouldn't throw out your sub-C cells and matching operations just yet. For some of the reasons already mentioned (cost, availability, potential damage/problems) I don't think lithium cells will be race legal for a long, long time.

They are, however, awesome for brushless racing and for bashing.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:04 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Cracker78

Quote:
Originally posted by futureal
... I wouldn't throw out your sub-C cells just yet...
Noooo! *chases the garbage truck down the street*
Cracker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:04 PM   #12
Tech Regular

I think in an ideal world it would be nice to have a 12000 mah with a brushless setup give mega runtime and change the face of racing.

One thing that is not really talked about is what is their life expectancy, how manytimes can they be charged in a day and current chargers will probably be obsolete. From what I have heard 12000s have to be treated and charged in a totally different fashon.

With RC cars it will be hard to make changes of the battery and brushless kind. Many companies depend on the motor of the month plan, motor support brushes, springs etc..., motor death or battery gouging to make their living. I don't have a problem with companies making a living but, to charge $10-12 for a $3 battery cell only takes advantage of people who think that they need the battery. Some companies like www.battlepacks.com seems not to do this. I do not see a change to Lipoly in the near future. If we did one company out of New Jersey will probably jump in bed with them, get sole distributorship and do more gouging when it comes time.

Cars are the last holdout on the tech side. Boats and planes have jumped the barriers and made brushless happen. Planes I think are using the lipoly cells not boats. Cars are bigger and too many people and places are invested into the current tech. I could not imagine a Ma n Pa track/Hobbyshop surviving a new revolution.

just my 2 cents

Coop
gcooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2003, 01:36 PM   #13
Tech Fanatic

The R/C car market needs to step into the future. Imagine racing brushless w/ Lipos for 2-3 hours w/ 2-3 packs and going faster than nitro. Just like when you see F-1, they always try new stuff. Planes and Helis are outhere using Lipos and I know one guy at my local hobby shop who races a micro w/ Lipos and Brushless. The tiny thing goes 55MPH. People tend to look at the bad side of things before looking into the good side. Every battery has its flaws. If you abuse any type of battery it will leak or in lithium explode. All you have to do is charge them correctly. Imagine an E-Maxx w/ 2 of these 12000mah packs!!!!!! You all know the more we use the less expensive they'll get.
Old 10-29-2003, 01:46 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Default Re: 12000mah Lipoly!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by lutach
Two days ago I received my samples of 2 7.4V 12000mah Lipoly batery packs. Just finished testing one about 20 minutes ago. Incredible!!!!!! It still has alot of juice left.
I'll get some pics so you all could see this amazing pack. 12000mah or 12ah capable of 10C discharge.
I guess the big Question is COST !! are they even in the ball park of the cost of Nim cells....
Old 10-29-2003, 01:58 PM   #15
Tech Fanatic

MB Racer,

FMA Direct sells the 3270MAH 7.4V pack for around $75 and I could get a 4800MAH 7.4V for around the same price. I've seen 3300MAH NIMH packs going for way more than $75 and with lithium you get an extra 0.2 volts. also, depending of the application, some people even rate the lithium at 4.2V a cell.