Search

CRC Generation-X vs. BMI DB12RR pro and cons

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 02:44 PM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default CRC Generation-X vs. BMI DB12RR pro and cons

I think of buying a new 1/12 scale what will be the CRC Generation-X or BMI DB12RR, both with the new wide pod for BL motors. What are the opinions on those cars. What are pro or cons for them? Someone has raced both of them?
Racing will be on carpet. Thanks.
Old 01-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Tech Elite

obviously, i may be a bit biased, but i would look in your local hobby shop and see what parts are most readily available. the gen x is a very good car, i have never owned a bmi, so i cannot say, but the gen x sure looks good, and wins plenty of big races. factory support at larger races is also unmatched. good luck with your decision.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If your relatively new with 1/12th scale the BMI folks on here are pretty friendly and Jason (protc3) is really fast about answering any questions you might have. The core group of guys on the DB12 thread are all pretty cool to talk with.

CRC has a lot of big race wins, if you think that makes you faster, go with them.

Both cars are very capable, and a mere mortal probably would most likely get the same results from ether.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Tech Champion

Both are great cars and you can't go wrong with either one of them really. Personally I run a BMI and find their support via phone, RC Tech, and e-mail to have been top notch. I can't speak for major races because living in Hawaii it is very rare that I get to attend them. I'm actually running the CRC front end on my BMI with the long upper arm conversion.

Comparisons:

At the front end the BMI uses a modified version of the standard AE 12Lx front suspension. The AE lower arms are replaced with the IRS aftermarket arm. These are really nice because the arms are the same on both sides of the car. No more left over arms that don't get used. The downside is if you don't build the lower arms right they can get fragile. Just remember to use the screws that come with them and tap the arms first and you'll be fine.

The CRC uses it's own front end that CRC developed. Like the IRS arms the CRC arms are universal left and right. Another nice feature on the CRC front end is the slop adjustments. At both the lower and upper pivots there are adjustments to remove slop in the pivot balls. It also has the option to change between in-line and trailing front axles. Unlike other front suspensions the CRC's king pin threads into the steering block and it uses a pillow ball upper suspension. That could be a plus or minus depending what you feel about pillow ball suspensions. There are a couple of minor design issues that I ran into with mine but those are easy to work through. The really cool thing about the front end though is adjusting caster. Due to the hinge pin capture system on this front end it is such a snap to make caster changes at the track.

Essentially both front ends are refinements on the old 12Lx design and both work very well. Both work in essentially the same manner as well.

At the rear both use the mono pivot/link style rear suspension. The CRC uses molded links so they don't need any adjustment. To control side to side movement of the pod it uses adjustable side springs with damper tubes.

The BMI takes the link and spring idea and combines them into 1. Instead of a link and a spring the BMI uses a piece of fiberglass as the link and the flex of the fiberglass acts as the spring. What is cool about this setup is so long as the car is balanced properly you never have to adjust a tweak screw. Most of us run the car without the tweak screws installed even.

I believe the new BMIDB12RR also comes with the Silva bladder shock as well. For the upgrade though you have to get the shock seperate.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:54 PM
Tech Adept

i hate to say it but just look at the results. the gen x really domintes and the only car that can even touch it is donny lias speedmerchent
Old 01-14-2009, 05:06 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Wasn't there a thread similar to this before. I'll make the popcorn.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by cholawa
i hate to say it but just look at the results. the gen x really domintes and the only car that can even touch it is donny lias speedmerchent
I typically don't look too much into results. Any of the cars that get to that level are good cars...it mainly boils down to whoever hired the best drivers. Give those same drivers any other of the top brand cars and the results will likely be the same. Heck give any of those drivers an old AE 12i and they would still wipe the floor with the average racer.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I have owned both cars(first gen, gen x and dr12rr) I would say there both great cars But the gen x can be evil if you don't set the tweak and spring load just right(learned that the hard way) The db12rr is easier to drive then my gen x was plus the craftsmanship is simple amazing...

In the end there both good cars and its more of a personal choice then all else.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cholawa
i race weekly with donny and believe me he is fast with any car i watch him run similar laps with a 12r5 and a serpent 120. and if he drove my bmi car he would be fast with that car too.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

one thing i have to say about the bmi is the one piece machined delrin center pivot and ball. this was the best idea since sliced bread on the calandra car the pivot has to be checked frequently cause it comes loose and like ron said the crc can be evil if not tweaked right. the bmi does not tweak and the side flex plates stay truer than any spring car out there. i honestly believe for the average racer you will have faster more consistent laps with the bmi and alot less frustration due to its design. and the machine work is unmatched besides red is fugly